Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times

Advertisements

Dont forget about the correct storage too. Just as important!

Cool and dry and NOT IN PLASTIC.

I restore black leather bags I find resale with kiwi shoe polish. It redyes the crackling and keeps it from looking worse or actually cracking if I get it in time. So if you have any dead bags that you want to resurrect...

Using a conditioning cream a couple times a year keeps it supple BUT call the bag maker and ask for a suggested brand. We had that dye's like to be bad convo in another thread..This is why I say call. Some dye lots react with certain products. Black purses are an EASY re-dye though..So if you do mess it up a little bit its the easiest color to repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Dont forget about the correct storage too. Just as important!

Cool and dry and NOT IN PLASTIC.

I restore black leather bags I find resale with kiwi shoe polish. It redyes the crackling and keeps it from looking worse or actually cracking if I get it in time. So if you have any dead bags that you want to resurrect...

Using a conditioning cream a couple times a year keeps it supple BUT call the bag maker and ask for a suggested brand. We had that dye's like to be bad convo in another thread..This is why I say call. Some dye lots react with certain products. Black purses are an EASY re-dye though..So if you do mess it up a little bit its the easiest color to repair.
Is there one for semi shiny leather or will the regular one work on it?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Is there one for semi shiny leather or will the regular one work on it?
Now when you say semi-shine.....I do not use it on high gloss leather all over.
(that plastic looking black patent stuff)High gloss I clean/condition with mineral oil and if there is a scuff I finger smudge a bit of kiwi on it and rub it in with a tissue to make sure all the excess it off.

The leather I use kiwi on is that classic finish satin shine that you see on most everything in mens and womens wear. I test spots on the underside of the strap if I am nervous. I use the kiwi shoe kit tools for brush and buff. Dont just get a can and try it. Brushing it in and buffing it out makes a big difference than a houserag polish job.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's exactly what I do, and what my family does. Considering a good english dressage saddle can cost upwards of $10,000 (my run of the mill all purpose english saddle was $4500) and get WAY more abuse than an average purse, saddle soap/cleaner is the way to go. Feed stores work, ag supply stores etc. would work.
Great point! My saddles cost way more than the D&Bs!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Bond Street used to make a marvelous conditioner in a tube, but I don't see it any longer.

I shy away from leather a bit, just because it was alive at one time. Substitutes can be made that look extraordinarily like real leather, that unless I need the breathability, as in closed winter shoes, I try not to purchase it.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
Great point! My saddles cost way more than the D&Bs!
I saw a thing on people making saddles...Oh man..they earn your dollar. Its NUTS how much work goes into a good saddle. If you ever want to try to find it or there is somewhere you can watch a craftsman work (like a fair etc) its pretty neat.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Bond Street used to make a marvelous conditioner in a tube, but I don't see it any longer.

I shy away from leather a bit, just because it was alive at one time. Substitutes can be made that look extraordinarily like real leather, that unless I need the breathability, as in closed winter shoes, I try not to purchase it.
I have all kinds of bags from leather to canvas to fake leathers. I don't mind buying leather b'c the meat was used for consumption and rather than wasting the hyde, it's used to make other things. I'd hate to think if the poor thing had to die that any part of it was wasted. That's always been the NA way (my heritage). They utilized every part of the animal from clothing, to food, to tools and more. Nothing went to waste.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I saw a thing on people making saddles...Oh man..they earn your dollar. Its NUTS how much work goes into a good saddle. If you ever want to try to find it or there is somewhere you can watch a craftsman work (like a fair etc) its pretty neat.

I know! My roommate is a renaissance faire bellydancer and every once in a while I'll hitch a ride and go for a weekend. There's a guy that makes saddles/bridles the old fashioned way and he's absolutely AMAZING.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I have all kinds of bags from leather to canvas to fake leathers. I don't mind buying leather b'c the meat was used for consumption and rather than wasting the hyde, it's used to make other things. I'd hate to think if the poor thing had to die that any part of it was wasted. That's always been the NA way (my heritage). They utilized every part of the animal from clothing, to food, to tools and more. Nothing went to waste.
We all do what we see fit.
I see all those leather coats on sale these days. I kind of think that if the demand for leather increases we will raise cattle just for coats and things.
I see your point and if I were assured that all of our leather goods are from animals raised for food, I would be fine with it.

But we don't eat animals in the fur coat industry, so I feel that increasing demand will result in more deaths. Again, some artificial furs can be gorgeous and also require less pampering.

This is just a matter of preference, because to me, I don't see a great advantage in most leather handbags. They scuff more and need more pampering while simple soap and water will take care of most others.

I think a lot of our perception of beauty is put in our brains by people selling products. I don't think a diamond is any more attractive than a cubic zirconium stone.

I find tiny, economical, cars more attractive than huge gas guzzlers.

It's not as though I cannot buy the other stuff, I can. Once I could afford all of that I found that I did not need or want it.

But if others like leather, that's fine to me, too. I did once. To live is to change. We all need room to grow. It is probably the point of life.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

This is just a matter of preference, because to me, I don't see a great advantage in most leather handbags. They scuff more and need more pampering while simple soap and water will take care of most others.
I have leather handbags from 20 years ago and if they didn't look in excellent condition, I'd donate them, but they do. I think it depends on the leather you buy. If it's barrel dyed it won't scuff or the scuff actually wipes off with a swipe of a soft cloth. If it's surface dyed they're cheaper and they do scuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty