Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 PM

339 posts, read 2,206,096 times

Advertisements

What the hell is a hipster, and what makes this look so appealing? If I'm thinking correctly, hipsters are those skinny, emo-looking skaters that wear tacky clothing (skin tight jeans/pants, a loud/showy belt, overly branded t-shirt, usually wear beanies, like rock music or whatever is popular, etc.), so what is it about them that makes them so appealing to women especially? I don't want to be talking down a look that I don't know anything about, so again, correct me if what I'm picturing is correct.

It seems like a lot of fashion trends revolve around this look, and guys all seem to be going for this look since girls seem to like it, but I just don't get it. Again, not trying to hate, but this look seems really tacky to me, so I'm trying to figure out the general appeal of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,898 times
It's been around for a few years now, so I'm sure it's probably "out" or on it's way out with the cool kids.

Just do your own thing, and let the trends catch up with you.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM

339 posts, read 2,206,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
It's been around for a few years now, so I'm sure it's probably "out" or on it's way out with the cool kids.

Just do your own thing, and let the trends catch up with you.
Ha, my "thing" is a mix between preppy and ambitious young professional or something. I'm not sure how trendy that will ever become, but oh well, it will be beneficial for my career, which is my number 1 priority right now at 19 yrs of age. Gotta have a stable career before I start chasing girls

Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Ha, my "thing" is a mix between preppy and ambitious young professional or something. I'm not sure how trendy that will ever become
You might actually be ahead of the curve. Recent slideshows from the NY Times Style section:

Harvard's Clothing Line - The New York Times > Style > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 9

Dress Codes: The Dutch Bicycle - The New York Times > Fashion & Style > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 10

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Focus on your goals and your career and I'm sure that someday, some young lady will find you irresistibly charming . Not all women fall for the latest "trends".

Old 09-11-2009, 05:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times
Jumpman, you do sound sensible.
Please don't worry too much about hipster fashion.
It is so ephemeral (and so self-conscious.)
I think hipsters have been this sort of post-modern-ironic-dismissive-bearded-skinny-jeaned set.
But that was so then.
And this is so NOW.
Time to move on, make your own scene.
I mean, square eyeglasses are kinda ugly.
And I was wearing Converse back in 1972.
And didn't we get done with ironic self-awareness after Seinfeld ended?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,289,125 times
Yeh.. i think it is kinda over and out...Besides..Its more of a party scene type of thing rather than a business conservative crowd.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,658,998 times
Trends are funny. When I was in high school, I used to get made fun of for dressing like a 'punk/hipster'. Now, it's all the rage... and I was in high school less than 10 years ago! If you do your own thing, eventually what you wear will become trendy and you'll probably feel a bit self conscience (I love how people always tell me that I only got tattoos to be trendy) but eventually your particular style will go out again. Then, 20 or so years later, it'll make a resurgence among the youth and you'll be trendy again!

I just do my own thing, and that does involve slim pants (peg leg, if you will..cuffed if I can get them long enough), converse, dark rimmed glasses and betty bangs. Things haven't changed much for me style wise in 15 some years...but I'm okay with it I think it's funny that I'm considered 'trendy' now.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,088,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
You might actually be ahead of the curve. Recent slideshows from the NY Times Style section:

Harvard's Clothing Line - The New York Times > Style > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 9

Dress Codes: The Dutch Bicycle - The New York Times > Fashion & Style > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 10

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Focus on your goals and your career and I'm sure that someday, some young lady will find you irresistibly charming . Not all women fall for the latest "trends".
I quite agree.

I personally think a man looks sexy in a nice button-down shirt and pants that fit nice. If you want to attract the ladies I do suggest that you stay far far away from those horrible skinny jeans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty