Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 AM

41 posts, read 128,257 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend recently bought my first pair of sandals ever. I balked at first since I never really wore them before, but I have to admit that they are comfortable. She thinks they look good on me and now she wants me to go with her to get a pedicure. Should I go along with it? In the past I would have thought that this was a bit too feminine... but she seems to really want me to go.

Although I enjoy the comfort and freedom of sandals, I have to admit I am still a bit uncomfortable wearing them in public especially around people I know. Is there still any kind of a stigma with guys wearing sandals or is it pretty much normal now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 10:21 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
I would say it's pretty normal to wear sandals. Are they flip-flops, or more of a regular leather sandal? If they are the rubber-type flip-flop some people don't think guys should wear those, but nicer leather ones or any normal sandal is fine. I happen to really like the look of guys in sandals. Particularly leather sandals or flips, khaki pants or shorts and a loose white button down... very beachy and relaxed for the summer, but still stylish.

As far as a pedicure goes, I see guys getting them all the time at the nail salon. Young guys, old guys, not just the typical "metro" types. You will enjoy it, it is very relaxing, your feet won't feel dried out, and it will make you less self-conscious in the sandals. As a guy you can either have clear polish put on, or just have them buff the nails (makes them just a little shiny).

Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKing78 View Post
My girlfriend recently bought my first pair of sandals ever. I balked at first since I never really wore them before, but I have to admit that they are comfortable. She thinks they look good on me and now she wants me to go with her to get a pedicure. Should I go along with it? In the past I would have thought that this was a bit too feminine... but she seems to really want me to go.

Although I enjoy the comfort and freedom of sandals, I have to admit I am still a bit uncomfortable wearing them in public especially around people I know. Is there still any kind of a stigma with guys wearing sandals or is it pretty much normal now?
Totally normal. I think any stigma went the way of the dinosaur 15 or 20 years ago at least!!

On the pedicure - DEFINITELY go!!! You'll love it, and so will anyone that happens to look at your feet!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
I would say it's pretty normal to wear sandals. Are they flip-flops, or more of a regular leather sandal? If they are the rubber-type flip-flop some people don't think guys should wear those, but nicer leather ones or any normal sandal is fine. I happen to really like the look of guys in sandals. Particularly leather sandals or flips, khaki pants or shorts and a loose white button down... very beachy and relaxed for the summer, but still stylish.

As far as a pedicure goes, I see guys getting them all the time at the nail salon. Young guys, old guys, not just the typical "metro" types. You will enjoy it, it is very relaxing, your feet won't feel dried out, and it will make you less self-conscious in the sandals. As a guy you can either have clear polish put on, or just have them buff the nails (makes them just a little shiny).
I own a pair of black Nike sports sandals and a pair of brown Teva flip flops. Here is a pic of the flops:

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=546619

Thanks for the info on the pedicures. I think I will go ahead and go through with it. I did not realize that so many guys are getting them these days...just didn't want to go and get laughed out of the building.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Admittedly, I still think its a bit creepy for men to get pedicures, but if you're gonna go with the sandals and your feet aren't in great shape, well maybe that would be more creepy!!! Anyhow, as someone pointed out you won't be alone in the salon; at least not out here in good ole California. Last year, I was in getting a pedicure and in walks a couple of big, gang banger looking types. Immediately, I thought, "Oh no! We're all going to get robbed! But, then the two "gentlemen" just sat down in those big comfy, massage chairs, rolled up their big, baggy pant legs and placed their giant feet in the tubs and proceeded to sit back, relax and get a pedicure! Very sweet! Guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge! Anyhow, like I said if you're more comfortable in sandals (and who isn't on a hot, humid summer day) and your feet are in bad shape, then go for the pedicure. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Admittedly, I still think its a bit creepy for men to get pedicures, but if you're gonna go with the sandals and your feet aren't in great shape, well maybe that would be more creepy!!! Anyhow, as someone pointed out you won't be alone in the salon; at least not out here in good ole California. Last year, I was in getting a pedicure and in walks a couple of big, gang banger looking types. Immediately, I thought, "Oh no! We're all going to get robbed! But, then the two "gentlemen" just sat down in those big comfy, massage chairs, rolled up their big, baggy pant legs and placed their giant feet in the tubs and proceeded to sit back, relax and get a pedicure! Very sweet! Guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge! Anyhow, like I said if you're more comfortable in sandals (and who isn't on a hot, humid summer day) and your feet are in bad shape, then go for the pedicure. Good luck!
LOL at the story. My feet are actually in pretty good shape since I've worn shoes and socks all these years. The main thing that sticks out is that my feet are more pale than the rest of my legs since I go fishing/golfing in gym shoes....but a pedicure won't do much for that (any ideas?).

I don't really need the pedicure but I think she just wants me to go for the experience.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:22 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKing78 View Post
LOL at the story. My feet are actually in pretty good shape since I've worn shoes and socks all these years. The main thing that sticks out is that my feet are more pale than the rest of my legs since I go fishing/golfing in gym shoes....but a pedicure won't do much for that (any ideas?).

I don't really need the pedicure but I think she just wants me to go for the experience.
Just start wearing more sandals and flip flops! Your feet will tan in no time.

As for it being a west-coast only thing - I assure you - I'm on the east coast and there are LOTS of guys that get pedis here. I like the idea that a guy takes care of his feet as well as the rest of himself!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
If your toes "show", then they need to be cared for! You don't want hard, dead skin around your toenails, or calluses showing ... it's just nasty looking!
You don't have to get "polish"!!! But it feels good and your feet will be "sandal-ready"!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Yes, please get a pedicure. I always check out a man's feet.

Anyhow, I think you'll really enjoy the experience. In Los Angeles, it is very common to see men in the shop getting their feet done.

There is nothing worse than a guy with yucky long yellow toenails.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I have never known a guy to get a pedicure ! I'm sure some do. I pretty much live in sandles except in winter. (I'm in northern Montana) If the word got out in my town that I got a pedicure I would be laughed out of town ! Think of all the beer you could buy with the money saved by cutting you own nails.

Last edited by Rickers; 03-14-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty