Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times

Advertisements

For someone whom neither proactive or MUAC works for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Have you looked into Accutane at all?
It was miraculous for my older son, and saved him from scarring.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM

I think I may have heard of it before. Isn't that what is commonly used for Cystic Acne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Have you looked into Accutane at all?
It was miraculous for my older son, and saved him from scarring.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Accutane
It is very powerful stuff, you must have a prescription and be under the careful watch of a dermatologist.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM

105 posts, read 286,660 times
Proactive didn't work for me either...nothing over the counter did. I went to my dermatologist, and I have a prescription for Retin-A which has been great. No more breakouts!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,700 times
I am not African American , but I did suffer from cystic acne for years. Pro-Active helped a little, lots of things helped " a little", but my acne came from within despite a healthy diet, vitamins, etc.
I did not use Accutane because I heard that it affects unborn children for up to 5 years after use. I did find that between children( I have 4) certain birth control pills helped. They change your hormonal balance, and I don't think ethnicity matters at all here, hormones out of whack cause acne for any woman.
I am currently on amoxocillin, an anti-biotic, because it is the ONLY thing really prevents my acne- and I am 40. I really regret all the years I tried over the counter lotions and the acne marks that are finally fading. Anti-biotics work for me, though they do mess with birth control pill effectiveness, so you might want to choose one or the other. Go to a dermatologist- you are worth it! I hated having acne and feel so much better now that it is gone, but I am glad that I never used accutane- my 4 children are beautiful.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 AM

I heard some suggestions while surfing....maybe this could help someone.

Beauty Tips for Women of Color 4/16/2009 - TDRadio on Blog Talk Radio

Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
I am AA, and I have very oily/break out prone skin. I can't use ProActive because I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide. I have tried many things, but I am having great success with Dermalogica. I was first introduced to it at a dayspa when I was getting a facial.
They have a great line of oil-free products. Only a couple of things has BP in it, which I avoid. One trick I do is at night, I apply their Sebum Clearing Mask on my blemishes and oilier parts of my face. I wear it overnight, then I wash it off in the morning with their Oil Free Cleanser and the blemishes have been greatly reduced or pretty much gone. the oiliness is greatly reduced also!
Give it a try, It's a little spendier-their individual products range from $15-35.00, but really worth it if it works well for you. They have kits with travel size products, too so you can get one of these and try them out!
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
I did not use Accutane because I heard that it affects unborn children for up to 5 years after use.
Just so you know, that is not true. Isotretinoin can cause birth defects, but only when the fetus is directly exposed in the womb during early development. Isotretinoin leaves the body after a few weeks, so as long as females avoid pregnancy during the month before, all during, and one month after treatment, their offspring will be unaffected.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,027 times
Have you tried Ebony Secret? I just bought a bottle myself and a lot of people say it really works. It is designed especially for women of color. Go to [url]www.blackbusinessnetwork.com/sheila[/url] and click "Online Store" at the bottom of the page. You can also watch the videos of other women of color who have tried it before, and will swear by it. Let me know how it works for you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty