Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,100 times

Advertisements

I am pale under my shirt and dont know how to get tan. I burn easily. Do I use suntan or sunblock and go into the bed for 8 minutes every day and then build up a tan? Or is it better to spend $7 on a bottle of sunblock everyday and cover my whole body and go outside and tan for 10 minutes? Once I have a tan can I lower my SPF outside from 50 to 25?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM

14 posts, read 29,805 times
hhmm..I can say much about this because I'm brown. But I think somehow exposing to sunlight more often can make you become tan. My boyfriend is pale and when he visit here one time he became tan after a few days. just probably because its warm here. Maybe you should be more expose to sunlight and also in warm areas. somehow sunlight can be a good help if not over expose.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times
Default tanning beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I am pale under my shirt and dont know how to get tan. I burn easily. Do I use suntan or sunblock and go into the bed for 8 minutes every day and then build up a tan? Or is it better to spend $7 on a bottle of sunblock everyday and cover my whole body and go outside and tan for 10 minutes? Once I have a tan can I lower my SPF outside from 50 to 25?

Okay, think about this....if you put sunblock on how are you going to tan? If you are very fair complected, pale why do you want to tan? especially if you burn? Believe me, when you get in the bed, you will burn. Whatever you do don't let them talk you into a tan accelerator. You will be a lobster.

I am medium toned, if I start with short times in the sun, after a couple of weekends, I can stay outside longer, though I am only tanning my legs and arms. I have tried a tanning bed, specifically to get my legs tan, and its' hard to get them dark enough for me. I usually end up pink tummied and backed for awhile, so I end up laying on a towel with another over my tummy. And I start out at 10 minutes. at least for the first 5 or 6 times, then slowly increase up to 15 minutes...I take it slow because you are getting pure rays.... I still can be pinky even after I have the base tan....

What about a spray tan? light tones. Have you tried the self tanners? the Jergens lotion with self tanner is what my best friend uses, and we tease her about being translucent she's so pale. It gives her a healthy look to her skin.

If I were as pale as you sound, I'd look for other ways. You're risking a nasty burn in the tanning bed...

Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Ive started using that Jergens 'tanning' stuff. Its supposed to tan you gradually, but the only place its actually working (so far) has been on my hands. But with summer coming, I too, dont want to be noted as a 'ghost' at first.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM

172 posts, read 535,620 times
I'm pale and I don't give a rats ass anymore about being tan...do I wish I wasn't pasty white? yes, but it's not worth the risk ...I already do enough crap that I shouldn't do..skin cancer isn't worth my legs looking great in a skirt

my sister uses one of the fake tanners and says it works great..I might do that

Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 AM

917 posts, read 2,298,865 times
I'm a blue eyed blond with fair skin. I use the tanning bed to get my base tan. I use the accelerator and start at 10 min. first time, then 15 second day, then 20 min. for the rest of the sessions. I have never even come close to burning. Outside however the first few times I DO burn if I'm out for very long without sun block. I have never had a bad experience in the beds. I do not use the lotions with bronzer or EVER the ones that say "hot". Use the goggles AND keep your eyes shut. I found it to be the safest way for me to get a good base. Usually takes a week or two.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
All I would say is to be careful about people's recommendations for length of tan in a tanning bed. All beds are different. I've been in high-powered beds where 4 minutes was plenty for 1 session, others where 10 minutes was necessary.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM

493 posts, read 665,044 times
That's true. The stand up beds ive used are much more intense than the normal lay-downs. If you're pasty white you probably dont want to go in for more than 3 minutes in a high powered stand up for the first couple sessions. Then add a minute on for the next two subsequent sessions. After about 10-12 sessions in this manner you're about as dark as you can easily get.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,060 times
Just be happy being pale and protect your skin from have UVA/UVB rays. Some moderation is good but those tanning beds are a sure fire way to have older looking skin faster. If anything and you aren't happy with being pale (pale is hot ) do like the tanning towels.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 AM

23 posts, read 109,357 times
The sun helps your body's immune system and vitamin D levels. Just go natural with the sun and sunblock. Some people burn like crazy in tanning beds. I agree to the three minute time limit first time and wait 48 hours to see what it has done to your skin. Just pay by the session instead of a package too just in case a bed is too much for your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty