Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

Hey I just wanted to know if anyone out there has been using self tanners and for how long. Also do you use them year round in the same amount or take breaks here and there?

I am asking because I am always temped by them...But I know of a few people who were die hards with that and 15 years later they are having immune like reactions in skin to a level that is not "runs in the family" or normal for health and age. These people started on the 90's products and I know things change...But I just wonder if anyone else actually knew people that had issues too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I've used them on & off for about 10 years, but only in the summer & not everyday or even every week. I don't have any skin issues that I could connect to that (or any serious skin issues, period). My skin has always been sensitive & prone to breakouts, but I notice no increase in that since using self tanners. I've never had any reaction to one, whereas I've had major reactions to bubble bath & certain scented lotions.

As far as I know, all self tanners still use DHA to color the skin; apparently it has been refined somehow to make the color more natural. I think this is why the pricier ones usually produce better results (they also don't have that nasty smell).

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times
I used them for about 2 or 3 summers in a row. I used it about every other day to every third day. I quit using them when I noticed that I was getting a few weird skin pigment spots. These may have been related to age, and not the product, but I didn't want to take any chances. This will be the first summer that I have not used them.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Thanks guys...Still waiting for year rounders...

The person having really bad skin issues had it year round. Oh my god I hate that old DHA tan smell.
They do stink a lot less. Like not even in the same ballpark as what it used to be.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,669 times
I have used them for several years now, but only in the summer. I have an olive complexion and people think I look a little tanned all the time anyway.

The trick is to spread it on thin, make sure it's rubbed in well. Make sure you wash your hands well, and buy the spray tanner for the tops of your hands. I use it two days in a row to get the color I like, then not use it again for at least 3 days, as the color can get a caked on look. As the color fades I use a good exfoliating shower gel to help make the color go evenly. Good luck !

Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Hey I just wanted to know if anyone out there has been using self tanners and for how long. Also do you use them year round in the same amount or take breaks here and there?

I am asking because I am always temped by them...But I know of a few people who were die hards with that and 15 years later they are having immune like reactions in skin to a level that is not "runs in the family" or normal for health and age. These people started on the 90's products and I know things change...But I just wonder if anyone else actually knew people that had issues too.
Thanks for starting this thread pitt!

Getting ready to go on vacation and I want to have a bit of color before I go! I have never used self tanners and am curious too about the results, etc. Looking forward to the feedback as well!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
The best I've tried so far is Tan Perfect, you can buy it at Sally Beauty Supply. I use it weekly during the winter months, but I also use it in the summer after I get a base tan, just to get a deeper color. I use it year round on my face because I don't tan my face at all outside.

I haven't had any skin problems. I've been using for at least 12 years.

The lotion is dark brown in color so you can see where you are putting it, therefore, no streak marks. I usually put it on before bed and rinse off in the morning.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times
Help please!!!!!

First of all I always have had a great natural tan in the past. A nice bronzed brown color. For health reasons I can't tan this year. I have tried several self tanners and I'm not happy with any of them. They all look fake and orange. I can get my arms to look decent but when it comes to my legs nothing is working. They don't seem to be taking the color as well as my arms, plus they look very uneven no matter how carefully I apply the tanner.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
I am fairly pale and have to use the "medium" shade to get any color to show on my skin. The ones designed for fair skin do nothing for me. My fav so far is L'Oreal Sublime Glow. It looks like a natural, light tan. I only use it on my legs and in the summer. It looks natural (never orange. yikes.).

Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

I have used a self tanner for several years now. No reactions, no problems at all. I don't use them in the winter since it would be pretty obvious that I was using something, and since I wear pants and long sleeves all winter, there's no point.

I second the Loreal Sublime Glow...ever since I found that stuff, that's all I use. It's great.

Wow - just realized how old this thread was!
Wish people would leave old threads to die and create a new one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty