Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM

145 posts, read 412,292 times

Advertisements

I've heard good things about this new product Eclos: Eclosâ„¢ Plant-Based Beauty - Home
It's supposed to be made from an apple or something which sounds very natural!!

Check out my sight:
Everything Shoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It's not all that new, and it isn't all natural. However, it contains a lot of really awesome ingredients. I don't know how useful the apple stem cell extract itself is, since often, the molecular structures of "miracle ingredients" are just plain too small to get past the very top layers of the skin. For the price though, it sounds like this stuff is pretty nice. Worst case scenario - you have an allergic reaction and have to throw it away after the first use, and you're out $12. Best case scenario: apple molecules aside, it seems like a solid all-around useful skin care line at a reasonable price that will improve the appearance - if not the quality - of your skin.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not all essential oils are toxic to cats, first of all. Cats are highly sensitive to phenols and ketones because they have weak livers, and some essential oils have high phenol/ketone content. Tea tree, when used sparingly and highly diluted, and not ingested, and not applied to shaved skin exposing open flea bites where it can easily and quickly get into the bloodstream, can be useful for cats. However, if you apply it directly to shaved skin on an already-sick cat that has flea bites and thus openings in which the oil can easily pass into the bloodstream, then yeah. It'll be toxic as hell.

Edited to add: kittens shouldn't ever be exposed to essential oils undiluted or in commercial products. I don't know of any such thing as a kitten-safe commercial product containing essential oils of any therapeutic proportion.
Cats lick themselves. Sorry but you are wrong on this one. Please do not tell people they can use this on cats. Tea tree is absorbed by the skin like other EO too.

"External application of tea tree oil undiluted and/or at inappropriate high doses has been associated with toxicity, including death, in cats and other animals due to ingestion during grooming"

"According to the American Cancer Society: "Tea tree oil is toxic when swallowed. It has been reported to cause drowsiness, confusion, hallucinations, coma, unsteadiness, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset, blood cell abnormalities, and severe rashes. It should be kept away from pets and children.""

Tea tree oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think you should use EO on pets or infants. Its not really "natural" because its concentrated and its very dangerous to test out on a pet. Tea tree can build up in the system. System must be damaged severely to have a noticeable reaction.

DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR PETS!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Cats lick themselves. Sorry but you are wrong on this one. Please do not tell people they can use this on cats. Tea tree is absorbed by the skin like other EO too.

"External application of tea tree oil undiluted and/or at inappropriate high doses has been associated with toxicity, including death, in cats and other animals due to ingestion during grooming"

"According to the American Cancer Society: "Tea tree oil is toxic when swallowed. It has been reported to cause drowsiness, confusion, hallucinations, coma, unsteadiness, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset, blood cell abnormalities, and severe rashes. It should be kept away from pets and children.""

Tea tree oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think you should use EO on pets or infants. Its not really "natural" because its concentrated and its very dangerous to test out on a pet. Tea tree can build up in the system. System must be damaged severely to have a noticeable reaction.

DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR PETS!
Bolded for emphasis - your response supports what I've been saying all along. Except the wikipedia article (which most people know better than to trust as actual factual evidence of anything)...the footnote on that article regarding the ACS's claim, links you back to the claim. I went a step further and actually checked the ACS's website and looked for any information on Tea Tree Oil, and found the statement that was contained in the Wiki. The statement has no sources, there's no indication that their information came from actual scientific research, or if it was strictly anectdotal. It also doesn't quantify or qualify the statement - as in, "drinking a whole undiluted teaspoon of this stuff will kill a horse" or "a drop per day over a prolonged period can eventually poison a human" - vague, unqualified and unquantified claims are not claims at all, not even when they're claimed by the American Cancer Society.

Last edited by AnonChick; 05-09-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
It builds up in the system. Don't kill peoples pets just because you don't want to admit this could be a problem. They are living creatures.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Do you even understand what you mean when you say that, or are you just grabbing soundbites because they sound good? "It builds up in the system." What does that MEAN? I know what it means, and I know the context. Do you? Here's a layman's summary:

This is basic math. It's an IF/THEN statement.
IF A = true, THEN B = true.
It gets a little complex: IF A + B + C are true, AND D is false, THEN E is true.

K? K. Here goes:
IF
User ingests a substance over a period of time,
ANDIF user does not allow time for substance to be eliminated by the body,
ANDIF user is using more during each usage, than the body can safely use,
ANDIF user does not dilute, or otherwise take appropriate precautions,

THEN user will experience poisoning.

ALSO, the same applies to usage on the skin.

ALSO, this is true for any substance that can build up over time, including ingestion of water, sugar, alcohol, hot pepper, meat, carrots, and bananas.

ALL of those things, when ingested by humans, and cats, and any other living being, can build up over time and ultimately poison the user.

Your claims are irresponsible because you don't qualify them, you don't provide the context, you don't seem to really even understand the context, and the best you could do was offer a wikipedia link containing unsupported claims, whose "sources" also contain unsupported claims.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
I have quite a few wrinkles on my face. Is there any natural remedy available?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
Tons of products available as I have been looking for this; recently I came across SweetMarrakesh oil and I have found this to work the best. Go to google and lots of information there.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
natural effective skin care?
I am looking for a skin care line. I am looking for a line of products that is not chemical filled.....but yet effective. I was using Philosophy, then decided it had a few too many chemicals in it. I then switched to Aubry, which must be the most natural line around! I just don't feel it is doing much for me. I am 46, slightly oily skin and yet am battling the under eye lines and wrinkles.

Any suggestions? There are just so many on the market, and they are so expensive! I would love to have some reviews first.

[+] Rate this post positively
I went to battle on my wrinkles/damaged skin last year, I'll be 40 in October. After many, many hours online researching I found out that there is a lot of hype in skincare; expensive DOES NOT mean better. A lot of the information I've gotten is from a website called Essential Day Spa. Also, Skin Care Talk and MakeupAlley. I've read the same things on these three boards. I'm happier right now with my skincare than I've ever been. These are some of the "natural" effective and reasonably priced products I've found:

RHASSOUL SOAP
From a website loaded with effective products hand picked by a Licensed Medical Aesthetician named Nancy Nivolo
Rhassoul Facial Cleansing Bar | Cleanse Tone

COPPER PEPTIDES
Also sold on the NCN website. Better than Retin-a but must be used slowly for maximum effectiveness. Read the entire Skin Biology website for more information. I've been using CP Serum for two months and am very impressed at how much it has tightened and smoothed my skin in such a short amount of time. However, I use the product correctly and have only used a small amount on my face and have also taken days off to let my skin rest.
Improve Your Skin with Copper-Peptide Non Surgical Skin Tightening System: Hydroxy Acids and Copper-Peptides

I no longer use moisturizer on my face and have been using a small amount of OLIVE OIL twice a day to lock in moisture and seal my skin surface.

I use MICROCURRENT facial devices to lift and tone my skin. TUA VISO is the best, NUFACE is overpriced but does give a little lift. The TV is for sale on the NCN website.

CLARISONIC is an outstanding value and really gets the skin clean. I'm glad I bought mine.

I use a cheap mask by Freeman called Pineapple Enzyme. It really softens the skin and costs a lot less than the stuff sold at Sephora.
Freeman Beauty (http://www.freemanbeauty.com/portal/store/store.asp?nProductID=19619 - broken link)
Amazon.com: Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Enzyme Mask, Pineapple 6 fl oz (150 ml): Beauty

I haven't done face peels but there are many good ones you can get online. I'm planning on doing a series of lactic acid peels and then a 12% TCA peel.
Home Chemical Peels Skin Care Acne Scars Wrinkles

Sunscreen is a huge part of having better looking skin and for the time being I am using one with chemicals, a french brand called Bioderma. It contains Tinosorb which is the only sunscreen ingredient I've ever put on my face that didn't cause some kind of irritation. Extremely high level of UVA/UVB protection, totally recommend.
Skincare Central-All About Sunscreens

I have Prevage but it is the last really "high end" skin care product I will ever use besides Bioderma. I simply don't believe in high end skin care lines anymore. There are many mentioned on Essential Day Spa. If that is your thing you are sure to find a few you could try.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 AM

8 posts, read 14,823 times
FYI Nature's Harvest has 15% off on Juara Skincare (September special) : www.natures-harvest.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty