Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 35,242 times

Advertisements

Hi friends, I will attened my brother's wedding party dress, which dress is ok? I want to choose purple, short and one shoulder dress, could you give me some advice? Please tell me the matching shoes and handbag, they are also very important after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Did you mean to post this in the Fashion forum?

I dress more conservatively at weddings, but then again I don't know your brother. Purple, short and one-shouldered sounds like you're going to a club, but I could just be picturing the wrong kind of dress. What's in my head now is kind of hoochie. Do you have a picture?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times
If the wedding is in the evening with a band and semi-formal, the dress is perfect. In that case, purple matches with silver always if you want to go metallic. I think the dress sounds cute, but only if it's semi-formal..otherwise, if it's in the afternoon, it may be a little too over-the-top maybe.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:30 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
How short? Mid thigh is fine any higher, not appropriate for a wedding.

assymetrical is fine as long as the dress isn't so tight that your breasts are popping out the top (you know how some of those Hollywood tarts look).

Someone else mentioned metallic shoes - that's the only way I'd go, silver metallic (same for bag)

Remember if you can bend over and not flash everyone your heiny, or you can bend forward to shake a seated elderly aunt's hand at a table and your boob not pop out, or you can sit in a church pew for a little while and not rip a dress seam and flash the minister/reverend/rabbi your hooch, then your dress is probably appropriate.

The main caveat though is what time of day is the wedding, the dress would only be appropriate for an after 5 wedding and a semi-formal one at that (based on your limited description)

Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Oh, and the fabric determines the appropriateness too.

A 90% lycra dress that fits super close to the body ... not appropriate.

Jersey knit (an homage to H&M) not appropriate.

Crepe or silk shantung - very appropriate!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM

I agree with you, Halo_in_reverse. She could also carry a hot pink or other color bag with silver heels. Don't have to be so matchy-matchy anymore I think, eh?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I agree with you, Halo_in_reverse. She could also carry a hot pink or other color bag with silver heels. Don't have to be so matchy-matchy anymore I think, eh?
great point - my fatal fashion flaw - I'm always accused of matchy-matcy where shoes/bags are concerned. I try so hard not to be, just can't break that bad habit

Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

assymetrical is fine as long as the dress isn't so tight that your breasts are popping out the top (you know how some of those Hollywood tarts look).

Someone else mentioned metallic shoes - that's the only way I'd go, silver metallic (same for bag)

Remember if you can bend over and not flash everyone your heiny, or you can bend forward to shake a seated elderly aunt's hand at a table and your boob not pop out, or you can sit in a church pew for a little while and not rip a dress seam and flash the minister/reverend/rabbi your hooch, then your dress is probably appropriate.

The main caveat though is what time of day is the wedding, the dress would only be appropriate for an after 5 wedding and a semi-formal one at that (based on your limited description)
what about long evening dress? black, pink, or other colour?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

knee-length, is that ok?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM

What you aren't telling us, 25degree, is what time is the wedding? And what is the reception going to be like? All that will tell us is what kind of clothing is appropriate for that specific wedding. I mean, if it's a 6 pm wedding with only cake and coffee for a reception, you will look like a fool in a long formal dress. That would call for a more casual dress like you would wear to Sunday church.
If it's a 6 pm wedding with a full buffet or sit-down dinner with crystal, then dancing, a long formal dress would be appropriate or, yes, even a short knee length cocktail dress would be appropriate.
Black can be tricky to wear unless it's a black and white wedding I think. I went to one a few years ago, and everyone--including me--wore black. It was at a very, very tony place in innercity Chicago's Gold Coast, so formal attire was wanted. Honestly, when I looked at the photos later of the wedding, it looked like a funeral..haha! Everyone with black, black, black...not really too celebratory but, hey! that's what the bride wanted us to wear: black. And all those relatives with black hair (ethnic family), so...not such a pretty picture. But, again, hey! that's what the bride wanted, so she got it.
Long is trickier to me to wear unless everyone is wearing long. Knee-length is safer to wear to me.
Better check and see what is going to be the appropriate wear. Check with the bridal party as they will know.
THEN let us know. Just my suggestion.
In my opinion, a cocktail dress that is knee-length in a jewel color is always safe...but maybe that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty