Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times

Advertisements

Anyone done this? I'm thinking about going in. I know they are free and they try to push products on you. Anyone ever gone? I am in need for new foundation, and I don't know where to start. I have always only bought the stuff at Target like cover girl etc. Does anyone think that there really is a difference in what you pay for? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Yes. I have been to the Lancome and to the Clarins counter. For me Lancome is the best and far above anything I've ever bought at a drug store or discount department store. You will spend 2 to 3 times more for the foundation but the bottle will last you at least twice as long as those drug store brands. Plus the sales person will match it to your skin type and shade, show you how to apply it and make up your entire face if you make an appointment. You will have all the products pushed on you but if you know what you can spend before you go in and stay firm, it will be okay.

Also if you go at certain times, you will get a free gift of products, adding to the value of what you bought, making the overall purchase comparable to what you might buy at the drug store.

Go in an have a little fun!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
I work PT in cosmetics and makeovers are my favorite things to do! Just a few hints:

Go during the week, when most counters are slow. The consultant can spend a lot of time with you. The weekends are usually really swamped.

Make sure you tell the consultant exactly what you're looking for as far as formula, coverage, etc. Let them know how your skin is (oily, dry, etc), and how much makeup you wear on a regular basis. Do you have lots of time to do your makeup, or do you need products that will allow you to get made up quickly?

Ask for samples before you buy. Get some from several lines because what might be great for one person may make you break out. Just dont be greedy...consultants don't like greedy customers!

If you don't like something the consultant is showing/recommending, don't buy it, no matter how pushy the salesperson is.

have fun!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Don't buy it unless you can get a sample or you know what the exchange/return policy is. Sometimes higher end has richer formulas that may break you out if you do not adjust your skin care. So I would ask about what type of products go well with your foundation pick. Treat yourself to a skin primer while you are there. It makes every type of skin look a little better. Review some youtube vids about how to make sure the testers are clean/cleaned correctly.
Ask them to open a new tester if you can.

Anytime I go in I just have a paper with my list of what I want. If they are pushy I let them show me whatever but just state I don't have the money for that right now. Usually ends up in SAMPLES! And me buying it later on down the line! LOL

Have fun with it. And personally I would not let them use a washable brush on me. I always go with the toss away foam things. If they do try to talk you into a brush for your foundation, write it down and look for a cheaper dupe. Counter brushes are a little overpriced if its just going to be used at home.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:35 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
Hey!! So I did it and I love it. So glad I tried it. I went with Clinique and so far love all the products. The girl who helped me was great and wasn't pushy at all. I ended up getting the face cleanser and moisterizer, it's the 3 step stuff. Foundation, powder, a brush, mascara and lip gloss. All for around $100. I used to have a problem with my skin drying/peeling a lot no matter what I tried and now it's not peeling at all. I LOVE the foundation & powder it feels light and I don't like the heavy make-up feel so it works great for me. All in all I really am happy with what I got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty