Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:58 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times

Advertisements

I have heard a lot of people say that women ONLY wear makeup to attract men and that if it weren't for men that we wouldn't bother.

I have also heard that women do it to impress/compete with other women.

Well, I just wanted to share that personally I OFTEN stay home on Saturday nights and Friday nights and put makeup on without plans to go ANYWHERE, just for fun and then I take photos of myself! This is very common for women who are into makeup and post on "makeup message boards" where women will post what is called a FOTD which stands for a "Face Of The Day". A FOTD is when you post a photo of your makeup for the day and then list which exact brand and color you are wearing. Others then might ask what the color placement is (like what color you used in the crease etc) or if you like the way a color looks on a person you can buy the exact same thing.

I like to dress up etc all the time just for fun to see what I look like and then take pictures of my outfits and makeup because I admit, I like to look at myself and it's FUN! Even if I am not going ANYWHERE! I just crank up music and have fun in the mirror by MYSELF!

So guys, don't think that all women wear makeup to attract men. I love looking good and I love looking at myself even if I'm all alone and not going ANYWHERE! And I do this A LOT. I love playing with makeup and beautifying myself when I have plans to just wash it off and go to sleep later. So it irks me when I have heard some men say that women only wear makeup to attract a mate. It's simply not true. I like to look at myself personally sometimes and see what I look like for fun. It just makes me happy. I don't do it for anyone else, it's enough for me to primp myself up and then admire myself and take pics of different looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:00 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I have heard a lot of people say that women ONLY wear makeup to attract men and that if it weren't for men that we wouldn't bother.

I have also heard that women do it to impress/compete with other women.

Well, I just wanted to share that personally I OFTEN stay home on Saturday nights and Friday nights and put makeup on without plans to go ANYWHERE, just for fun and then I take photos of myself! This is very common for women who are into makeup and post on "makeup message boards" where women will post what is called a FOTD which stands for a "Face Of The Day". A FOTD is when you post a photo of your makeup for the day and then list which exact brand and color you are wearing. Others then might ask what the color placement is (like what color you used in the crease etc) or if you like the way a color looks on a person you can buy the exact same thing.

I like to dress up etc all the time just for fun to see what I look like and then take pictures of my outfits and makeup because I admit, I like to look at myself and it's FUN! Even if I am not going ANYWHERE! I just crank up music and have fun in the mirror by MYSELF!

So guys, don't think that all women wear makeup to attract men. I love looking good and I love looking at myself even if I'm all alone and not going ANYWHERE!
Not all of them wear it to attract men but most of us are really fond of it. IMO, it puts the "S" in sexy!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Not all of them wear it to attract men but most of us are really fond of it. IMO, it puts the "S" in sexy!!!
I don't care if you or other men find it sexy. In this case, I like to look at MYSELF.

And on the boards that I post on plenty of other women also play with makeup and post FOTD's even when they are not going anywhere but to bed later. So it's not as uncommon as you may think.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,639 times
Quote:
I love looking good and I love looking at myself even if I'm all alone and not going ANYWHERE! And I do this A LOT. I love playing with makeup and beautifying myself when I have plans to just wash it off and go to sleep later.
Same! Kudos to you for making this thread, jackie!!!

My boyfriend is under the impression that women only doll themselves up/dress hot for men. He has a hard time understanding/believing that sometimes women actually do it to feel good about THEMSELVES!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
I wear makeup any time I want to look nice. It does not matter whether men are around or not.

The only thing I hate about wearing makeup is having to wash it off before bedtime. I don't even wear that much, but it's still tedious when you're really tired and just want to go to bed!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Same! Kudos to you for making this thread, jackie!!!

My boyfriend is under the impression that women only doll themselves up/dress hot for men. He has a hard time understanding/believing that sometimes women actually do it to feel good about THEMSELVES!
If I had to put it in order for me personally

1. Do it for myself (I put on makeup even when staying home and going nowhere cause I like looking at myself)

2. A LITTLE BIT is done for other women. I admit I am competitive with other women but it's not to compete with other men. For example, if I had to go out to lunch with my AUNT, I would TOTALLY make sure that I look impeccable and gorgeous and glowing because I want her to think that I am stunning. lol. Or if I were to meet my female cousins which I haven't seen for years I would want them to think "OMG, her skin is flawless. She looks so incredible! I wish I was pretty like that!" etc

I like it when other females think I am pretty and when they are a bit envious/jealous of me. It makes me feel good.

I guess the thread title was inaccurate, because SOMETIMES I DO do it for other women.... but not for men at all.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,478 times
I'd say women put on makeup, not to simply attract men, but because society says that's what women should do. It's been ingrained that makeup = attractiveness, and I think that's why one might put makeup without leaving the house. That said, it seems like you're putting makeup on and then posting pics online, which is the same as "leaving the house", so it's not like no one is seeing you. Personally, I'm a fan of natural beauty or minimal makeup because so many women seem to put wayyy too much on these days.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondino View Post
I'd say women put on makeup, not to simply attract men, but because society says that's what women should do. It's been ingrained that makeup = attractiveness, and I think that's why one might put makeup without leaving the house. That said, it seems like you're putting makeup on and then posting pics online, which is the same as "leaving the house", so it's not like no one is seeing you. Personally, I'm a fan of natural beauty or minimal makeup because so many women seem to put wayyy too much on these days.
Ok, yea I guess this is true, but I only post the BEST pics on-line. Often when I am not satisfied I will not post the pics on-line so no one will have seen them. I would say less than 1% of the pics make it anywhere on-line. That's how picky I am.

Well, personally I LIKE being attractive and I do find makeup attractive. I just love it.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,639 times
Quote:
I like it when other females think I am pretty and when they are a bit envious/jealous of me. It makes me feel good.
Hehe me too. My mum always used to say when we were walking down the street together that I have more women staring at me than I do men!

I'm with you about taking it off, SweetLikeSugar! Such a hassle! I also smear extra virgin olive oil on my face before bed which is uber messy - works a treat though, best moisturiser ever!!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
Quote:
I don't care if you or other men find it sexy. In this case, I like to look at MYSELF.

And on the boards that I post on plenty of other women also play with makeup and post FOTD's even when they are not going anywhere but to bed later. So it's not as uncommon as you may think.
Still though, you will get no complaints out of most of us ladies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty