Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

I was looking at pictures of street scenes in Russia and what really stood out is that Russian women wear high heels. They all were wearing them from young to older ladies. They wear a wide variety of heels..many even wear boots with very high spiked heels. These were not pictures of women out for a night on the town either..they were just doing their daily business. What really amazed me is even the women walking on the beach were wearing heels.

It looked to me like Russian women will not leave the house in any other shoes but heels. They looked like they enjoyed wearing them too. They didn't look oppressed they looked empowered. In many of the couples I saw the woman in her heels towered over the man. American women are uncomfortable with this.

What's interesting is that at one time the U.S and Russia were probably similar when it came to women wearing heels. My guess is around the same exact time American women stopped wearing heels in the name of comfort is when the Russian women started wearing even more sexy and fashionable heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Oh they were doing their daily business alright. They were probably pictures of hookers.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I used to wear heels. Tall ones. And I'm 6' tall barefoot.

Of course, when my doctor told me my ankles were becoming deformed due to an unnatural arch in my left foot probably caused by my 4"+ tall heels, I stopped wearing them.

Kudos to the women who can still wear them! I wish I could...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
This is the case throughout Eastern Europe. Women there are far more fashion-conscious even in the small towns (the large cities even more so) and most wouldn't walk out of the house in casual wear even if it's just a walk to the corner grocery store. Sure, there are always going to be some jeans-and-tennis shoes-wearing youth, but even they are conscientious of the condition and quality of their duds.

And yes, at the beach they typically wear high heel sandals, thongs, slides, etc. because they revel in their femininity.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
You can revel in your femininity without wearing uncomfortable shoes.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
That's true, but I think they want people around them to be cognizant of their femininity as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This is the case throughout Eastern Europe. Women there are far more fashion-conscious even in the small towns (the large cities even more so) and most wouldn't walk out of the house in casual wear even if it's just a walk to the corner grocery store. Sure, there are always going to be some jeans-and-tennis shoes-wearing youth, but even they are conscientious of the condition and quality of their duds.

And yes, at the beach they typically wear high heel sandals, thongs, slides, etc. because they revel in their femininity.
What a wonderful culture. Not just the heels...but the appreciation of femininity.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh they were doing their daily business alright. They were probably pictures of hookers.
No way...I even saw pictures of women walking their dogs in high heels.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Yes many Latin women do this as well. I don't anymore though since I am more Americanized

Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 PM

196 posts, read 564,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Does it mean all women in Russia are hookers or all women wearing heels are hookers? I think you owe an apology to Russian women here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty