Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times

Advertisements

The right tank top and some nice jeans work just as good as a gypsy skirt and camisole blouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
I'm with the OP on this. I think it's kind of sad that women (and men for that matter!) dress so sloppily nowadays and there's almost no occasions left for dressing up. Even going to an expensive upscale restaurant on an anniversary, I've felt overdressed in a simple dress and heels when people next to me were in khaki shorts and tees . I actually love how people dressed in the 40s and 50s, the elegance and put-together appearance and would love a touch of it to come back. It's not just the women who dress masculine, though there are plenty of these, but even the ones who try to look more girly usually end up just trashy: cut-offs with uggs, muffin tops out of jeans two sizes too small, velour sweatsuits complete with evening makeup and teased hair and a fake LV or something to top it off, just, ugh . I wish we had a little more elegance and good taste when it comes to everyday style.
Oh, and reasons such as having to run after the bus or chase after children are just excuses, IMO, just admit you're not interested in looking nicer. I'm a SAHM with a toddler and while I miss the cute pencil skirt-and-heels outfits I used to wear to work I put in the effort to look put together, without compromising comfort, every time I leave the house, even if it's to Target or Gymboree class. Nice figure-flattering jeans or leggings, a feminine top, and a pair of cute girly flats, or a cute casual dress and sandals, topped with a cardigan or fitted jacket, are just as comfy and easy to put on as baggy mom-jeans and an XXL sweatshirt, but look infinitely better.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Comfort & mens clothes are Made better & have longer life span! Womens clothes no matter the cost fall apart easy! Also Blame it on the Military EXCEPT for undies the womens Wear mens clothes! Yep I wore Combat Boots & was Proud of it! BTW I known Gay Women they Dress to the Nines All girly! you may be shocked to find the most dressy women dont what a thing to do with Men! hehehehe Jokes on you IF clothes is what you go by!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I don't have a problem with my clothes falling apart. And I shop from the cheap places (Target/Old Navy) up to higher end stuff. Most of my clothes last for years if I want them to. I try to wash things only as often as necessary, and then mostly use cold water, laundry bags (to protect certain fabrics), hand wash, and then air dry. I find that even cheap clothing can last a long time if care is taken in the washing/drying of it. Anything with elastic and/or spandex in it should definitely not be exposed to heat in washing or drying if you want it to last.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I actually love how people dressed in the 40s and 50s, the elegance and put-together appearance and would love a touch of it to come back.
have you seen the clothes on this site Pin-Up Girl Clothing - I love their dresses! Very good quality and very figure flattering

Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
People often dress to express themselves.

If a woman wants to wear guys clothes, who are you to judge?

Personally I love playing with fashion, different looks...I love the androgynous look as much as I love the boho look...it doesn't suit me as I am very feminine looking with long hair, but it doesn't stop me loving and wearing big chunky flat biker boots or boyfriend jeans.

Fashion should be fun.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 PM

395 posts, read 707,455 times
If it's just day to day school or and off day at work, ppl can wear whatever they want. It shouldn't bother you what other ppl wear. There are more important things to be concerned with in life.

If it's a special event I would like my woman/women to dress up a bit as I would dress up also.

Moderator cut: image removed

Plus wearing a guys shirt, a girl can do this.....

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Well I guess according to this thread I am confused.

I rarely wear makeup. My mom doesn't wear it. She has that one tube of lipstick from the 70s she uses sometimes. My grandmothers on both sides were the same way.

On a not too lazy day, I'll put on mascara and lip gloss. On a fancy day, I add eye liner, shadow and bronzer or blush. My mom thinks it is crazy.

But my mom was pretty much a clothes horse up until her 50s. I dress pretty feminine, but I don't wear heels too often. Unless I don't have to walk anywhere.

I had 3 typical outfits: jeans, nice top and a cardigan. Skirt, nice tops and a cardigan or a dress and a cardigan (it is chilly here!). I tend to be more dressed up than most of my friends.

I don't buy the idea that sloppy clothes are more comfy. A knit dress or skirt is equally as comfy as a pair of sweats. Cardigans and hoodies are equally comfortable. Heels on the other hand, I understand completely. But there are lots of cute and comfy flat styles.

I am always trying to convert my casual friends to the dress up club, by inviting myself to their shopping trips.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
People often dress to express themselves.

If a woman wants to wear guys clothes, who are you to judge?

Personally I love playing with fashion, different looks...I love the androgynous look as much as I love the boho look...it doesn't suit me as I am very feminine looking with long hair, but it doesn't stop me loving and wearing big chunky flat biker boots or boyfriend jeans.

Fashion should be fun.
I used to always feel like I was dressed too... woodsey maybe, where I lived. But I dressed in suits when I worked in an office, wore them daily, and spend a ridiculas amount on them as women's suits are vastly overpriced. When I ceased working in an office I decided I wouldn't dress where I feel like someone wearing artifical skin. I figure if someone didn't much like how I dressed it wasn't my problem and I wasn't really interested in knowing them anyway.

I'm an 'off beat' person and don't feel I owe anybody anything but to dress as me. Everyone should feel comfortable to express themselves in their choice of dress.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Not usually a fan of women who dress like men. Very un-sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty