Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have gained about 20 lbs over the past 2 years and am unsure at times how to dress. I found a dress at ann taylor that is a wrap style dress that looks like a cheetah print except in black and grey looking tones. I can decide if it looks good-making me look curvy-or it looks like im wearing a very large dead animal. The dress itself is nice but I'm not sure if the small print makes a larger women look larger or hides some of my flaws. The dress is 1 pc and entirely of print. Any opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I like to keep animal prints to teeny things. But I think wrap dresses are really flattering on most everyone because they follow the natural shape. Just get a really good bra that holds your chest up and throw on some spanx! You probably need to go bra shopping anyway with the gain. The bra is the secret that will make your dress look nice and not like a blob of a dead animal.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I agree with Pitt that wrap dresses are very flattering on curvy figures, but appropriate under-garments are a definite must. I would stick with a small print, which it sounds like you got. I bet you'll look great!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:10 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I think it depends on your body type. Where do you carry that excess 20 pounds of fat? Abdomen? Hips/butt? Or are you a lucky person with even fat distribution? I think wraps look great on pear shaped women but bad on apples.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times
thanks for the great replies-i gained it everywhere-chest, face, arms, everywhere-i tried it on for my sister-my most honest critic-she said it looked good-made me look curvy-just that my chest looked huge-she's not used to it being so pronounced-i think i can live with that-

Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I like to keep animal prints to teeny things. But I think wrap dresses are really flattering on most everyone because they follow the natural shape. Just get a really good bra that holds your chest up and throw on some spanx! You probably need to go bra shopping anyway with the gain. The bra is the secret that will make your dress look nice and not like a blob of a dead animal.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
thanks for the great replies-i gained it everywhere-chest, face, arms, everywhere-i tried it on for my sister-my most honest critic-she said it looked good-made me look curvy-just that my chest looked huge-she's not used to it being so pronounced-i think i can live with that-
The small print should work well on you...like the others said, make sure you get a really supportive bra...it will make a huge difference (no pun intended...)

Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM

609 posts, read 1,260,352 times
im a plus size girl and i wont go near animal prints. i was once checking out clothes at torrid and they had zebra print skinny jeans...for plus size girls. it made me cry...from laughing. i imagined wearing them and bending over, if anyone caught me from behind theyd think i was a real live zebra! not okay. lol. however...i think wrap dresses can be flattering no matter the pattern for a bigger girl...but as was said above...get a good bra. i saw someone wearing one of these with a bad bra on and it looked like she had lopsided watermelons growing out of her chest...sideways. lol.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
No. Absolutely not. And I would say that if you were a size 10. Stay away from the animal prints. They are not our friends! Only those in sizes 2-6 might possibly pull it off.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,897 times
Small doses. I think that for any size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty