Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,170,088 times

Advertisements

Lets get this back on topic.

You fail to understand what is distasteful to you may not be distasteful to me.

I've clearly defined what trying too hard is to me. You keep attempting to make me assign an image to it when it's all relative. Is Wendy trying to hard in that photo? To me, I can say yes. I've seen her look way better in a lot less in the way of her hair and makeup. Whereas Pam looks like every day Pam with less (more natural) makeup. She always look pretty much the same. But I'd prefer her makeup between the pictures you posted.

Is that a bad thing that I think she may be trying too hard? No, it's my opinion. I prefer to be as close to my natural state while taking a little help in areas I feel like I'm lacking. Afterall, I look good in a tshirt, capris, flip flops, my natural face with a little chap stick, and my hair pulled back. You may feel the need or responsibility to dress up and put on a full face. I don't.

It works for me.

Btw, I think you are overplaying this jealousy card. The average woman I know doesn't care too much about what the next woman is doing in day to day living. If she does then she has too much free time. The woman being critiqued must have time on her hands, too. She obviously cares what other women are saying about her.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:48 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,980,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Lets get this back on topic.

You fail to understand what is distasteful to you may not be distasteful to me.

I've clearly defined what trying too hard is to me. You keep attempting to make me assign an image to it when it's all relative. Is Wendy trying to hard in that photo? To me, I can say yes.I've seen her look way better in a lot less in the way of her hair and makeup. Whereas Pam looks like every day Pam with less (more natural) makeup. She always look pretty much the same. But I'd prefer her makeup between the pictures you posted.

Ok I get what you're saying here.

Is that a bad thing that I think she may be trying too hard? No, it's my opinion. I prefer to be as close to my natural state while taking a little help in areas I feel like I'm lacking. Afterall, I look good in a tshirt, capris, flip flops, my natural face with a little chap stick, and my hair pulled back. You may feel the need or responsibility to dress up and put on a full face. I don't.

But why would this be viewed as 'trying to hard' when it's MY personal style choice? The term 'trying to hard' is a bad thing because it's meant to be an insult, not a compliment. Just like if I was to call your style dull and boring, that wouldn't be cool just because I don't choose that style for myself doesn't mean it's ok to insult your choice of style because it's different from my own.

It works for me.

Btw, I think you are overplaying this jealousy card. The average woman I know doesn't care too much about what the next woman is doing in day to day living. If she does then she has too much free time. The woman being critiqued must have time on her hands, too. She obviously cares what other women are saying about her.
No I'm not over playing the jealously card because there are a lot of jealous, insecure, and bitter women period. A woman has no control over what is being said about her or the side eyes she receives from other women. It may not happen to you but it does happen and often. The woman more than likely wouldn't care if she did know what the other women said about her as it probably wasn't the first time and wouldn't be the last. The term 'trying to hard' just sounds classless to me and I find it baffling that a woman would choose to not look a certain way in fear of being labeled as such.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,686,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
What does this mean? I've heard women make comments like that about other women and to me it sounded like those women where jealous of her appearance and since they couldn't find anything bad to say about her, they said she's 'trying to hard' Trying to hard to do what?
I very clearly was talking about myself and not other women, which is why I wrote that *I* feel like I am trying to hard. So I'm jealous of... myself? That makes no sense.

Heavy makeup - even the heavy neutrals you are promoting - isn't my style, and when I put it on I feel like I am trying too hard to be someone I'm not. That is my prerogative.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,906,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I very clearly was talking about myself and not other women, which is why I wrote that *I* feel like I am trying to hard. So I'm jealous of... myself? That makes no sense.

Heavy makeup - even the heavy neutrals you are promoting - isn't my style, and when I put it on I feel like I am trying too hard to be someone I'm not.
I feel the same way. I just don't feel like "me" with tons of make up on.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post

Heavy makeup - even the heavy neutrals you are promoting - isn't my style, and when I put it on I feel like I am trying too hard to be someone I'm not.
I WAS asking YOU why did YOU feel that wearing those things would be 'trying to hard'? I gave an example of when I heard the term and how it came across to me from what I witnessed. However I was asking you YOUR reason behind saying it which you just answered by saying you feel as though you're coming across as someone you're not. So now I understand what you meant and can see your point. Which is totally different from when I witnessed the term being used.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
No I'm not over playing the jealously card because there are a lot of jealous, insecure, and bitter women period. A woman has no control over what is being said about her or the side eyes she receives from other women. It may not happen to you but it does happen and often. The woman more than likely wouldn't care if she did know what the other women said about her as it probably wasn't the first time and wouldn't be the last. The term 'trying to hard' just sounds classless to me and I find it baffling that a woman would choose to not look a certain way in fear of being labeled as such.
Have you ever been around a child who tries to make other kids like him or make them play with him? The truth is many times this kid tries and cares so much that he gets in his own way. If he'd just come to the freaking playground and join in without commanding attention, he'd get to play more often.

I've never heard it meant as an insult. Usually, it's sort of a compliment given to a person who expend a lot of energy to produce a certain outcome when in reality, a lot less energy is needed to get the desired effect. They just don't know it.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen to me. I just choose to take the high road and not buy into it. You've mentioned it a few times so it seems like it bothers you. Are you the made up person who gets side eyed? I just don't understand why you care or even acknowledge this. It's funny how you would assume I don't get hate because I'm not wearing a week's salary worth of makeup, hair, etc.

I love how you are throwing out terms like classless considering the subject at hand. It's not that serious.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I WAS asking YOU why did YOU feel that wearing those things would be 'trying to hard'? I gave an example of when I heard the term and how it came across to me from what I witnessed. However I was asking you YOUR reason behind saying it which you just answered by saying you feel as though you're coming across as someone you're not. So now I understand what you meant and can see your point. Which is totally different from when I witnessed the term being used.
I think it would serve you well to start giving people the benefit of the doubt by taking their words at face value. What you have heard out of the mouths of other people has no bearing on me nor the meaning behind my own words. You seem really preoccupied with assigning jealousy to people every chance you get on this thread. Frankly it's weird.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Have you ever been around a child who tries to make other kids like him or make them play with him? The truth is many times this kid tries and cares so much that he gets in his own way. If he'd just come to the freaking playground and join in without commanding attention, he'd get to play more often.

I've never heard it meant as an insult. Usually, it's sort of a compliment given to a person who expend a lot of energy to produce a certain outcome when in reality, a lot less energy is needed to get the desired effect. They just don't know it.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen to me. I just choose to take the high road and not buy into it. You've mentioned it a few times so it seems like it bothers you. Are you the made up person who gets side eyed? I just don't understand why you care or even acknowledge this. It's funny how you would assume I don't get hate because I'm not wearing a week's salary worth of makeup, hair, etc.

I love how you are throwing out terms like classless considering the subject at hand. It's not that serious.
The thing is I've never heard that term from people I interact with and when I did witness the term being used it was used negativity so negativity is what I associated with the term. The Onglet used the term and it brought back the incident in which I heard the term used and wanted to get clarification on why she chose those choice of words and I provided my experience in which the term was used. Also others made comments about what the term meant to them and I understood their point of view. Your view point is what I didn't understand which is why I commented to your post wanting clarification.

You not choosing to wear your make up a certain way had nothing to do with me saying you may not have experienced the action in question. I said it because you seem to not understand that some women make snide comments about other women but if you're not a woman who has experienced this then you wouldn't understand where I'm coming from and that's what I meant when making that statement. You keep bringing up money and I still don't understand how money plays a factor in any of this. People can spend their money however they want and how does what a woman choose to spend her money on effects you? No it's not a big deal but you made yourself apart of the discussion when you commented.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
The thing is I've never heard that term from people I interact with and when I did witness the term being used it was used negativity so negativity is what I associated with the term. The Onglet used the term and it brought back the incident in which I heard the term used and wanted to get clarification on why she chose those choice of words and I provided my experience in which the term was used. Also others made comments about what the term meant to them and I understood their point of view. Your view point is what I didn't understand which is why I commented to your post wanting clarification.

You not choosing to wear your make up a certain way had nothing to do with me saying you may not have experienced the action in question. I said it because you seem to not understand that some women make snide comments about other women but if you're not a woman who has experienced this then you wouldn't understand where I'm coming from and that's what I meant when making that statement. You keep bringing up money and I still don't understand how money plays a factor in any of this. People can spend their money however they want and how does what a woman choose to spend her money on effects you? No it's not a big deal but you made yourself apart of the discussion when you commented.
What it all boils down to is I just don't care. I'm starting to feel that way about this thread, too. I don't care what you spend your money on. I said that I don't wear a week's worth on makeup. You are still trying to hold someone else's opinion up against some picture you have in your head.

Have a great weekend. This is the first nice day here in forever and I'm off to enjoy it.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Everyone has experienced hearing snide comments. But there must come a time in your life when you no longer care what other people think about you. It's liberating, I assure you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.