Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,957 times

Advertisements

Interracial Central Florida couple thinking about a Bella Vista move.North side of lake Windsor to be exact.We are mid fourty,he is a tech guy,computer related.She is in auto sales.He is black she is white.What are the pros and cons of this area?Will the race thing be an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 16,021 times
We just bought a house in Bella Vista on the East side of Bella Vista. People in NW Arkansas are very open. Many people have been brought in to work and are what I call "Transplants". People are friendly and accepting. I believe you will be happy with your choice if you move to NWA.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
NW Arkansas is going to be the most tolerant area in the state - but don't expect to be accepted right off the bat....Between the Baptists and everyone else, I think you will just have to get a foot in the door and take it from there...people will eventually accept you when they know you - but it IS the Bible belt and you may be in for a few raised eyebrows.....

I live in Arkansas, always have, always will - but interracial couples are a real oddity. I don't want to be discouraging - obviously you have chutzpah to have made it this far, but I'm sure you've already encountered your own set of problems before. You know what they are - they may just be a little more magnified in Arkansas than in Orlando.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 AM

55 posts, read 224,938 times
Default I agree with Sam

I have friends up there and visit periodically. NW Arkansas is soo beautiful and Belle Vista is wonderful. I do think that the mix of people there that interracial couples would not be a problem.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:14 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,006 times
Default Wow - in 2007 ... still talking about THAT??

I plan to move to the area soon. I know this is the bible belt, but I lived in a Bible Belt city back in 2001 (Atlanta, Georgia) so I have an "idea"...

So ... all this stuff about "interracial couples" to me sounds like getting excited and up in arms about the Model T. (Have you seen the country ... the WORLD lately??) China and India are poised to be the new economic powers ... VERY SHORTLY.

Let me stop. Okay. So ... um ... wow...

Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I plan to move to the area soon. I know this is the bible belt, but I lived in a Bible Belt city back in 2001 (Atlanta, Georgia) so I have an "idea"...

So ... all this stuff about "interracial couples" to me sounds like getting excited and up in arms about the Model T. (Have you seen the country ... the WORLD lately??) China and India are poised to be the new economic powers ... VERY SHORTLY.

Let me stop. Okay. So ... um ... wow...
What in heaven's name are you talking about? You're posting on another thread about the Klan...you have a lot of preconceived notions that are simply incorrect; however, this is NOT Cali and hopefully never will be. Lord, we like to have passed out over Clinton and his crap...it is a more conservative state, but not backward by a long shot. Why don't you come see before you make too many big leaps?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-14-2007 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Absolute awe

Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Well, after visiting Bella Vista this past week, I would have to say, I am not sure the area would be terribly open to interracial couples. yes, NW Ar is more open, but Fayetteville would probably be a better bet. This is just my opinion from what I observed visiting the area. This doesn't mean a couple shouldn't consider moving there, but be prepared.

Nita

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 20,365 times
We're interracial and probably moving to the NW area, Fort Smith maybe? It was a concern of mine because I'm white and my wife is black and she seems to be a little more "sensitive" it. Oh well we're friendly folks. And this is 2007 not 1977. Actually I'm more concerned because, and I feel this is more important, were what I call Orthodox Messianic believers. In other words if the Bible don't say it, we don't do (add?) it. And I think we're going to catch more flak with that than anything else. We do here in VERY LIBERAL "Lost Wages" Nevada.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bolt Fan View Post
We're interracial and probably moving to the NW area, Fort Smith maybe? It was a concern of mine because I'm white and my wife is black and she seems to be a little more "sensitive" it. Oh well we're friendly folks. And this is 2007 not 1977. Actually I'm more concerned because, and I feel this is more important, were what I call Orthodox Messianic believers. In other words if the Bible don't say it, we don't do (add?) it. And I think we're going to catch more flak with that than anything else. We do here in VERY LIBERAL "Lost Wages" Nevada.
Bolt, I don't know how to be discreet about it, so I'll just blurt it out. While your religious beliefs may fall in line with Arkansass, I'm not sure Ft. Smith will be where you want to hang your hat. I think there is a certain amount of tolerance, but you'll find more of that in Eureka, Fayetteville, or Little Rock/North Little Rock/Jacksonville - not so much in the far NE corner of the state, and it may be difficult where you are headed. Be prepared - I'm sure you are - but you will definitely be more of an oddity here than in LV.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 20,365 times
I appreciate your honesty. I'm sure we will see and maybe hear more of it when we get there. Oh well. We will be looking around where to stay. Thankfully we won't have to buy any place at first. You mentioned the far NE part of the state did you mean the far NW part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers