Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:23 PM

43 posts, read 132,442 times

Advertisements

Jazzyjazz- When we lived there, the school district did not follow Federal law and place students in appropriate facilities based on their needs. It's true, this is the case in many states but it's rare in the South. You can use due process and fight the school for placement but that will thousands and may not bring you the outcome you wish based on the "good ole boys" in Little Rock who ultimately make the decision. It's terrible. Depending on the needs of your child, it's 50/50. For a child like mine, it just wasn't in the cards and we nearly went bankrupt getting him the help he needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 08:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
It should not have cost you a thing to get the services you needed for your child. If he has an IEP, then the school district MUST provide the service needed, or you can go to court (after mediation). Did you try that? In addition, Arkansas does not have the reputation of being one of the worst states for autism services. Other states, many in the south, are worse. Also, your health insurance should be covering your child's services too.

http://www.autismhealthinsurance.org...ld-with-autism

Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 PM

242 posts, read 433,175 times
I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. Our four year-old son is high functioning/mildly autistic. He currently has an ABA program through his pre-school and we're trying to determine how available ABA programs are available in the Bentonville area. Can anyone clarify? As well, what do the options look like for a high functioning child in the mainstream school system? Unfortunately most employers (including the one I am considering) do not cover autism through their health insurance which is frustrating, especially when certain other types of conditions are covered (which out of respect I won't go into here).

Old 01-31-2017, 03:57 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Any updates on these questions? Our oldest is on the spectrum, and we've been considering Fayetteville as well. The comments on the lack of public school services there are very concerning. I'm hoping things have changed since some of those older posts.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Any updates on these questions? Our oldest is on the spectrum, and we've been considering Fayetteville as well. The comments on the lack of public school services there are very concerning. I'm hoping things have changed since some of those older posts.
wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I would check with the Bentonville school district. They seem to do a good job with most special programs regardless of what kind is needed.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:34 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
I don't live in Arkansas, but maybe the university in Fayetteville or in Little Rock can help you. I would think one of them should have a center devoted to children with disabilities that serves the entire state. Little Rock does have a children's hospital to my knowledge.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:26 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I would check with the Bentonville school district. They seem to do a good job with most special programs regardless of what kind is needed.
It surprises me that the Fayetteville ISD wouldn't be up to speed on something like this, being the largest city in the region and sporting a major university. I'm going to call them directly and get some first hand info. The services here in TX aren't great, but we do have our son in a PASS program that he seems to have acclimated to. Problem is that program seeks to put him back into main student population at some point, and we're not sure that's the kind of educational path that best suits him. It seems to be geared more toward behavioral issues than a condition such as autism.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Autism Speaks should be able to help. A whole range of services is available for you and your child.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide/state/AR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers