Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,482 times

Advertisements

So Im moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas for college this fall and I am curious as to the tolerance of the city and university. I know Arkansas is fairly conservitive (I've lived in Conway and Ft. Smith) but I don't know much about fayetteville. Im bi, liberal and an agnostic/atheist so it makes me very curious to how I will be accepted there.
I know this is probably silly but Im just a bit paranoid because its such a huge decision. And if it matters Im majoring in Aparel Studies and minor or duble major in some science.
Thank you for any answers or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM

697 posts, read 1,776,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogGirl79 View Post
So Im moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas for college this fall and I am curious as to the tolerance of the city and university. I know Arkansas is fairly conservitive (I've lived in Conway and Ft. Smith) but I don't know much about fayetteville. Im bi, liberal and an agnostic/atheist so it makes me very curious to how I will be accepted there.
I know this is probably silly but Im just a bit paranoid because its such a huge decision. And if it matters Im majoring in Aparel Studies and minor or duble major in some science.
It's a nice little college town with a lot of different backgrounds of people- you'll be fine. I don't imagine you'd have any trouble on campus anyway (most college students aren't going to have a problem with your lifestyle or views), but you should be pretty comfortable in the town too. On-campus there are student organizations for LGBT and agnostic (I would also assume athiest) students, and there are certainly liberal political student organizations on campus to join if you're interested. In town there is an LGBT society I believe (they put on the Pride Parade every year if I recall correctly) and political organizations that run the gambit from Tea Party to Green and Libertarian.

I'm sure Fort Smith and Conway are nice enough towns to live in, but I think you'll find Fayetteville has a different feel to it.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,384,747 times
My experience has been; It makes little difference which community you live in, if you take care of your business and don't wear a sign around your neck or logo on your back, most people couldn't care less.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
My experience has been; It makes little difference which community you live in, if you take care of your business and don't wear a sign around your neck or logo on your back, most people couldn't care less.
I think that is probably true, and I agree with the basic premise, but the atmosphere of a city can certainly help your happiness and satisfaction. And, if you're an alternate lifestyle, the nature of city can have a big effect on dating life and social atmosphere, I would think.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,482 times
Thank Y'all so much for your responses. And although your right about 'not wearing a sign' I am a very open person and dont like feeling as if Im hiding. But my main concern was if there would be a fairly good sized community that shares my alternative views, I love ppl from all walks of life but its good to have kindered spirits and yes, dating opportunities.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Thank Y'all so much for your responses. And although your right about 'not wearing a sign' I am a very open person and dont like feeling as if Im hiding. But my main concern was if there would be a fairly good sized community that shares my alternative views, I love ppl from all walks of life but its good to have kindered spirits and yes, dating opportunities.
You'll be fine! Enjoy Fayetteville and the UofA, and good luck starting college.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Fayetteville is the most diverse city in AR, you should be just fine. I am a strong believer your private life is exactly that. As long as you do not flaut your sexual orientation or your religious views I don't think you will have any problems. This does not mean hiding them, it means just what I said: flaunting them. What you are majoring should have nothing to do with how you are accepted and whether you can find like friends. No you are not being silly. I do question your remarks about being Athiest/agnostic. Normally people are one or the other.

Nita

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
exactly what I am saying. How one is recieved has much to do with their own actions and this goes for everything in life.

Nita

Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM

730 posts, read 2,255,176 times
You will be fine & there will be groups herethat share your views. Welcome to the ville.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,935 times
Quote:
Fayetteville is the most diverse city in AR.
I think that would be Little Rock,actually. but you'll be just fine in Fayetteville, HogGirl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers