Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 PM

48 posts, read 210,299 times

Advertisements

My move to Fayetteville is very close! I'll be down there in 9 days. Soooo excited. I will have a couple of weeks before I start my job. While I will have a house to unpack and organize, I would like to take some of that free time and explore the area.

What are some things every local should know about? I already know I would like to check out the farmer's market. I've heard it's spectacular. I would also like to do some easy - moderate hikes with my 7-month-old daughter, if you have any suggestions.

But I also want to check out area landmarks and I would like to get an idea of where a lady could go out dancing to some blues? Can't wait to arrive in your beautiful city!

Oh...and I will actually be living in Johnson, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 PM

165 posts, read 524,683 times
A good place to start since you'll be here about that time is to check out our 'Fayetteville First Thursday' event ... meet some folks, enjoy the art on display, beer garden, kiddo activities, etc.

Fayetteville First Thursday

Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,527 times
On Sundays, the farmer's market is held out at the Botanic Gardens. There is a trail that encompasses the perimeter of the gardens entrance. Here's info on the Lake Fayetteville Trail. Be sure to check out all the trails in Fayetteville.

Start your baby off right by visiting the Fayetteville Public Library. They have a "Bookworms" (http://www.faylib.org/services/childrens_library.asp - broken link) reading program for mommies/daddies and babies--a great way to meet other parents.

Not much happens in Johnson, sorry. Music venues include The AMP (mostly special events but it is located near Johnson at the NWA Mall), George's on Dickson St. and a few smaller bars in Fayetteville offer live music.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
My move to Fayetteville is very close! I'll be down there in 9 days. Soooo excited. I will have a couple of weeks before I start my job. While I will have a house to unpack and organize, I would like to take some of that free time and explore the area.

What are some things every local should know about? I already know I would like to check out the farmer's market. I've heard it's spectacular. I would also like to do some easy - moderate hikes with my 7-month-old daughter, if you have any suggestions.

But I also want to check out area landmarks and I would like to get an idea of where a lady could go out dancing to some blues? Can't wait to arrive in your beautiful city!

Oh...and I will actually be living in Johnson, if that helps.
Depending on where you are coming from, I don't think I would call it spectacular, but it is really fun and they have lots of good, fresh produce. I buy stuff that lasts for weeks in the fridge compared to buying in the grocery store and having things start spoiling in a few days or so.

You might want to visit Pea Ridge, and Eureka Springs for starters. Remember it is mid summer or summer at least and the temps will be pretty high, I am not sure how much hiking you will want to do with a little one. As well as Fayetteville Farmers Market you might want to try Bentonville, it too is interesting, on the square and a great family activity but it isn't quite as nice as Fayetteville, I don't think. Both have "first day" events, Fayetteville, Thursday and Bentonville, I think is Friday.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Depending on where you are coming from, I don't think I would call it spectacular, but it is really fun and they have lots of good, fresh produce. I buy stuff that lasts for weeks in the fridge compared to buying in the grocery store and having things start spoiling in a few days or so.

You might want to visit Pea Ridge, and Eureka Springs for starters. Remember it is mid summer or summer at least and the temps will be pretty high, I am not sure how much hiking you will want to do with a little one. As well as Fayetteville Farmers Market you might want to try Bentonville, it too is interesting, on the square and a great family activity but it isn't quite as nice as Fayetteville, I don't think. Both have "first day" events, Fayetteville, Thursday and Bentonville, I think is Friday.
Nine days, hmmm? From Johnson?

Day 1 is a Saturday, isn't it? I'd get up early, and take an exploratory drive around Fayetteville. Definitely drive up Mt Sequoyah, then get out and stretch your legs by exploring Wilson Park. Wrap it up with breakfast at Rick's, and from Rick's, take a quick peak at the Farmer's Market before heading to the stores to pick up supplies. Both Target and Wal-Mart, are on the way back to Johnson. Spend the rest of the day unpacking, then that night, drive over to Dickson St, grab dinner, wander over to the Walton Arts Center to see what's happening, maybe have a beer somewhere. Then home early.

Day 2, Sunday. You might want to visit a local church, if you are religious, or you might want to spend some time getting the lay of the land. Instead of going South to Fayetteville, check out Springdale. Tootle over to the Arvest Ball Park so you'll know where it is and the best way to get there, or check out Springdale's pools park. Feed the ducks. You could stay on 412 amd check out Tontitown (Tontitown Grape Festival is held in the summer, it's a Northwest Arkansas tradition), and even venture into Siloam Springs. But if you go to Siloam Springs, turn north off 412 to actually see the town. 412 is just strip center after strip center, but Siloam Springs proper is a very picturesque town. Then stop for lunch in Tontitown, they've got a bunch of restaurants, not generic chains, but home-grown restaurants. Then back to the unpacking.

Day 3, Monday. After the weekend crowds have subsided, weekdays can be the best days to visit some of the area trails. Monday morning would be a great day to check out Devil's Den State Park. And take your swim suit, so you can take a dip after your hike.

Day 4, Tuesday. What a great morning! It's a perfect day to visit Eureka Springs. And best of all, you can take your time. Take 412 over towards Hindsville, bring breakfast with you and stop at Withrow Springs Park to eat it by the natural springs. The blue water is cold-cold-cold, though. Then head north to Eureka Springs. (Be certain you have cash for parking.) You might want to start your exploration of Eureka Springs at the Crescent Hotel (no charge for parking, and they're pretty casual about people exploring the supposedly haunted hotel). And right nearby is St Elizabeth's Catholic Church, which dates back to 1906 and is very charming. Plus the gardens are well-shaded, something you'll appreciate. Then, it's off to explore the shops. Park downtown, have lunch at any of the numerous restaurants, visit the galleries, even venture down side streets (there are shops worth visiting off the main drag, and the bed and breakfast places are worth photographing). If you want to do something tourist-y, visit Pivot Rock. It is remarkable, but definitely tourist-y. Then head back home (and there are several good bbq places to pick up tonight's dinner at on the way back) by another path, take Hwy 62 and turn off to driver over the dam. Just before the dam is a little overlook where you can see down on the White River. And of course from the dam you'll see Beaver Lake. Stay on this road to travel through Gateway (if you turn North at Gateway you'll be in Missouri), and then through Garfield and then to Rogers. To get back home, take 102 to 540 and then you'll also know where Sam's Club is in Rogers/Bentonville. It's been a long day, hasn't it?

Day 5, Wednesday Why not pack a picnic lunch, and head out to Beaver Lake? You can take an early morning drive over to War Eagle, and check out the War Eagle Mill, if it's open after this past spring's flooding. If it is, I'd stop and get some fresh-milled cornmeal and also buy some of the fresh cornbread they serve in their restaurant. The cornbread would go great with whatever you've packed for lunch. Then Hickory Springs on Beaver Lake is probably the closest lake park to Johnson. Bring suncreen and lots of water, and enjoy the day.

Day 6, Thursday Everyone needs a day at home, to get chores done, to get ready for the weekend. If you've just gotta get out, why not check out Bella Vista. An early morning hike at Tanyard Creek, to check out the waterfall and venture onto the swinging bridge. It's easy and quick. When you're done, swing on over to the Bentonville Square. You can park at Compton Gardens and take the trail there to check out the progress on Crystal Bridges. And there are a couple of excellent places on the square to grab lunch. Crystal Bridges also has some of their collection on display at the Massey Building right there by the square, it's worth a gander.

Day 7, Friday The perfect day to float the Elk River. Just head north up around Noel. There are several outfits up there that can set you up with a canoe and arrange for transportation. The river is fed by springs, so it's cool and marvelously relaxing.

Day 8, Saturday Today's the day to get up early and really visit the Farmers Market. Buy flowers, stock up on veggies, enjoy the music and crafts that are mixed in. Take your purchases home, and then visit some of the local flea markets and antique stores. Have lunch at Neal's Cafe in Springdale, across the street from the big Popeye Statue. Drive up to Rogers, visit Lake Atalanta in the old downtown, then head over to the Pinnacle area. More shopping. Then pizza at the Mellow Mushroom, home to drop off your shopping, and to finish up, a stroll on Dickson.

Day 9, Sunday Re-do whatever your favorite activities were.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM

48 posts, read 210,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Nine days, hmmm? From Johnson?

Day 1 is a Saturday, isn't it? I'd get up early, and take an exploratory drive around Fayetteville. Definitely drive up Mt Sequoyah, then get out and stretch your legs by exploring Wilson Park. Wrap it up with breakfast at Rick's, and from Rick's, take a quick peak at the Farmer's Market before heading to the stores to pick up supplies. Both Target and Wal-Mart, are on the way back to Johnson. Spend the rest of the day unpacking, then that night, drive over to Dickson St, grab dinner, wander over to the Walton Arts Center to see what's happening, maybe have a beer somewhere. Then home early.

Day 2, Sunday. You might want to visit a local church, if you are religious, or you might want to spend some time getting the lay of the land. Instead of going South to Fayetteville, check out Springdale. Tootle over to the Arvest Ball Park so you'll know where it is and the best way to get there, or check out Springdale's pools park. Feed the ducks. You could stay on 412 amd check out Tontitown (Tontitown Grape Festival is held in the summer, it's a Northwest Arkansas tradition), and even venture into Siloam Springs. But if you go to Siloam Springs, turn north off 412 to actually see the town. 412 is just strip center after strip center, but Siloam Springs proper is a very picturesque town. Then stop for lunch in Tontitown, they've got a bunch of restaurants, not generic chains, but home-grown restaurants. Then back to the unpacking.

Day 3, Monday. After the weekend crowds have subsided, weekdays can be the best days to visit some of the area trails. Monday morning would be a great day to check out Devil's Den State Park. And take your swim suit, so you can take a dip after your hike.

Day 4, Tuesday. What a great morning! It's a perfect day to visit Eureka Springs. And best of all, you can take your time. Take 412 over towards Hindsville, bring breakfast with you and stop at Withrow Springs Park to eat it by the natural springs. The blue water is cold-cold-cold, though. Then head north to Eureka Springs. (Be certain you have cash for parking.) You might want to start your exploration of Eureka Springs at the Crescent Hotel (no charge for parking, and they're pretty casual about people exploring the supposedly haunted hotel). And right nearby is St Elizabeth's Catholic Church, which dates back to 1906 and is very charming. Plus the gardens are well-shaded, something you'll appreciate. Then, it's off to explore the shops. Park downtown, have lunch at any of the numerous restaurants, visit the galleries, even venture down side streets (there are shops worth visiting off the main drag, and the bed and breakfast places are worth photographing). If you want to do something tourist-y, visit Pivot Rock. It is remarkable, but definitely tourist-y. Then head back home (and there are several good bbq places to pick up tonight's dinner at on the way back) by another path, take Hwy 62 and turn off to driver over the dam. Just before the dam is a little overlook where you can see down on the White River. And of course from the dam you'll see Beaver Lake. Stay on this road to travel through Gateway (if you turn North at Gateway you'll be in Missouri), and then through Garfield and then to Rogers. To get back home, take 102 to 540 and then you'll also know where Sam's Club is in Rogers/Bentonville. It's been a long day, hasn't it?

Day 5, Wednesday Why not pack a picnic lunch, and head out to Beaver Lake? You can take an early morning drive over to War Eagle, and check out the War Eagle Mill, if it's open after this past spring's flooding. If it is, I'd stop and get some fresh-milled cornmeal and also buy some of the fresh cornbread they serve in their restaurant. The cornbread would go great with whatever you've packed for lunch. Then Hickory Springs on Beaver Lake is probably the closest lake park to Johnson. Bring suncreen and lots of water, and enjoy the day.

Day 6, Thursday Everyone needs a day at home, to get chores done, to get ready for the weekend. If you've just gotta get out, why not check out Bella Vista. An early morning hike at Tanyard Creek, to check out the waterfall and venture onto the swinging bridge. It's easy and quick. When you're done, swing on over to the Bentonville Square. You can park at Compton Gardens and take the trail there to check out the progress on Crystal Bridges. And there are a couple of excellent places on the square to grab lunch. Crystal Bridges also has some of their collection on display at the Massey Building right there by the square, it's worth a gander.

Day 7, Friday The perfect day to float the Elk River. Just head north up around Noel. There are several outfits up there that can set you up with a canoe and arrange for transportation. The river is fed by springs, so it's cool and marvelously relaxing.

Day 8, Saturday Today's the day to get up early and really visit the Farmers Market. Buy flowers, stock up on veggies, enjoy the music and crafts that are mixed in. Take your purchases home, and then visit some of the local flea markets and antique stores. Have lunch at Neal's Cafe in Springdale, across the street from the big Popeye Statue. Drive up to Rogers, visit Lake Atalanta in the old downtown, then head over to the Pinnacle area. More shopping. Then pizza at the Mellow Mushroom, home to drop off your shopping, and to finish up, a stroll on Dickson.

Day 9, Sunday Re-do whatever your favorite activities were.
OMG you rock DC!! I'm going to do everything on your list, you know. Maybe not in 9 days, however....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...keep them coming!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,360 times
If you were to just stay near Fayetteville I would say:
Hike or bike around Lake Fayetteville (also could take the trail from south Fayetteville to the lake)
Bontanical Gardens
Walk around U of A campus
Go to the library
Downtown square and farmer's market - eat at Hugo's
Dickson St at night for live music and drinks - eat at Hammontree's or Kosmos. Hoghaus brewery is very good too
Wilson Park
Devil's Den
Air Museum at Drake Field
Jones Center in Springdale
Harber Meadows

As far as finding blues music it would just depend on what bands are playing on Dickson. You're not really going to find a real blues bar in Fayetteville. You might check out Willy D's piano bar on Dickson.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,937 times
Default I'm a Mom. Your moving to a great place for parents.

This is a great area to raise a kiddo. Please don't miss Crystal Bridges museum and the stunning trails surrounding it. They are definitely baby friendly. And it's FREE. Hiking, you say? Devil's Den will knock your socks off. Buy a books of Ozark Trails, they are everywhere. I love hiking with my kids.White Rock is also amazing if you can back pack your baby. Wilson Park in Fayetteville is charming with baby swings. Also, check out on Meetups.com. There's a meet up group called Nature State Parents and Kids who have a lot of other parents with little ones who like to get out of the house.
Welcome to the area. Lovely, safe and beautiful place to raise kiddos. And I've always thought Johnson would be a gentle place to have children. The speed limit doesn't exceed 30MPH, so kids can play outside without being run over, and very police patrolled, and your practically in Fayetteville for fun with easy access to the bypass so you can head North to explore.
Welcome!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaVerve View Post
This is a great area to raise a kiddo. Please don't miss Crystal Bridges museum and the stunning trails surrounding it. They are definitely baby friendly. And it's FREE. Hiking, you say? Devil's Den will knock your socks off. Buy a books of Ozark Trails, they are everywhere. I love hiking with my kids.White Rock is also amazing if you can back pack your baby. Wilson Park in Fayetteville is charming with baby swings. Also, check out on Meetups.com. There's a meet up group called Nature State Parents and Kids who have a lot of other parents with little ones who like to get out of the house.
Welcome to the area. Lovely, safe and beautiful place to raise kiddos. And I've always thought Johnson would be a gentle place to have children. The speed limit doesn't exceed 30MPH, so kids can play outside without being run over, and very police patrolled, and your practically in Fayetteville for fun with easy access to the bypass so you can head North to explore.
Welcome!
Everyone who visits NWA or lives here should put Crystal Bridges at the top of their list as things to see and do. As for the OP, since the post is over 2 years old, I hope they have taken time to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers