Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 40-something gay WM apparently having my mid-life crisis and considering a move to Fayetteville from my very urban, very different existence on the East Coast. I'm a Retail Store Manager (have been for several years) and the prior 15 years a Waiter/Bartender and Restaurant Manager.

Everything I've heard about Fayetteville is pretty much what I'm after...a somewhat liberal/laidback/relatively inexpensive college town. I've heard how it's quieter (yippee) and relatively isolated in terms of proximity to major cities. I have two concerns that are unanswerable thus far through research.

First is whether or not I'll be able to find a job there. With the state of the current economy aside, what are the job prospects for someone looking for a
job as a waiter/bartender with years of fine dining experience?

Secondly, I'm entertaining the thought of opening a small business (food oriented) once established and wonder what is the current state of the gourmet food-to-go scene in town.

Thanks...I know it's a lot to process but would appreciate any firsthand feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Is there anyone in Fayetteville?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a late 40-something gay WM apparently having my mid-life crisis and considering a move to Fayetteville from my very urban, very different existence on the East Coast. I'm a Retail Store Manager (have been for several years) and the prior 15 years a Waiter/Bartender and Restaurant Manager.

Everything I've heard about Fayetteville is pretty much what I'm after...a somewhat liberal/laidback/relatively inexpensive college town. I've heard how it's quieter (yippee) and relatively isolated in terms of proximity to major cities. I have two concerns that are unanswerable thus far through research.

First is whether or not I'll be able to find a job there. With the state of the current economy aside, what are the job prospects for someone looking for a

Secondly, I'm entertaining the thought of opening a small business (food oriented) once established and wonder what is the current state of the gourmet food-to-go scene in town.

Thanks...I know it's a lot to process but would appreciate any firsthand feedback.

I'll try to field these questions even though it's been quite some time since we've lived up there but we do go back fairly often.

First off, there are plenty of dining establishments in Fayetteville and thus plenty of jobs waiting tables or tending bar. There MAY be a lot of competition for those jobs with the college crowd though.

Second question, I can't think of any gourmet to go establishments in town. Could be a great entry into the market!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
I'm not from Fayetteville, but I do reside in Northwest Arkansas.

Waiter/bartender jobs seem plentiful. Depending on where on the East Coast you reside, you might not find the number of upscale restaurants you are used to. They are around, but chains like Chile's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster and so on are more prevalent. The economy has taken a hit, but there are signs of recovery, too. Frankly, my observation is that people have not cut back on eating out, but the first quarter of the year is almost up, we'll see how the sales tax receipts look pretty soon, and that will be telling.

As for gourmet stores. Fayetteville is your best bet. There is a dearth of bakeries in the area. Yes, there's Krispy Kremes, and the local grocers carry donuts and birthday cakes, but real, walk-in-the-door-and-smell-the-sugar, flour, yeast bakeries are pretty rare. Panera Breads and Atlantic Bread Co are in that niche. There used to be a cheese store in Fayetteville about ten years ago. They had hundreds of cheeses, and also brought in specialty produce (several varieties of mushrooms, truffles, olives, fresh herbs, heirlooms, etc) and imported pastas and oils. They were a large store, but just couldn't make it. Since the population's grown substantially, this kind of store might be able to do well, but given the economy right now, I'd be hesitant. People want the selection of products, but they don't want to pay for them.

As a sidenote, while Fayetteville is probably the most liberal part of Northwest Arkansas (excluding Eureka Springs), it's going to seem quite conservative to someone from the East Coast. The base population is very conservative economically, middling conservative socially. The presence of the University makes the area seem more liberal, but that segment of the population is more transitional. I'm not trying to scare you away, but just pointing out something you should be aware of.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 AM

165 posts, read 524,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

I cannot answer your question as far as the job market for retail / restaurant manager, but overall NWA seems to be fairing this economic slump better than the areas I travel to on business.

There is a fairly decent sized gourmet catering niché in NWA because of all the fundraiser event and social parties that take place - most of these events have a celebrity guest of honor brought in by the supplier community to fulfill on their endorsement obligations. One of the newer operations to open is in Rogers and found on the web at:

Cuisines Gourmet to Go - Gourmet Catering & Meal Solutions

I believe Fayetteville could support a gourmet food shop. We have several small specialty shops that specialize in certain categories (meat, organic, bread, pastries) but nothing where a consumer can really shop across a broader selection of gourmet and / or imported foods.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 12,384 times
I am also interested in moving to Fayetteville. What neighborhood is affordable and historic? Looking for a good place for young family in trendy, nice neighborhood with older homes. We definitely only want to live in a home that is from 1930's or older and I can only find new homes when I try to search. Want to stay under $200,000 if possible. How is the job market? We are liberal and not religious. Is that going to be a problem?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM

I like the way Eureka Springs looks and am wondering if there is a part of Fayetteville like that. I was originally interested in Eureka Springs and commuting to Fayetteville but it seems that is too far. Plus, it would be nice to live in more of a city than small town. Any fedback I would really appreciate!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Kyle I will eat at your gourmet food shop.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Eureka Springs to Fayetteville??

"As a sidenote, while Fayetteville is probably the most liberal part of Northwest Arkansas (excluding Eureka Springs), it's going to seem quite conservative to someone from the East Coast."

So is Eureka Springs really cool? Could I commute to Fayetteville?
THANKS!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Commuting to Fayetteville to Eureka Springs is going to be a 4-hour commute round trip. On a daily basis, that seems excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers