Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM

13 posts, read 28,311 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are potentially looking into moving to Fayetteville next summer. We currently live in South Texas and are tired of the heat. My huband and I are both avid road bikers and we often like to bring our kids along on trailabikes. We do anywhere from 13-30miles. What are the trails like for road bikers, how safe are the roads, are drivers aware of and attentive to road bikers, etc? Also my husband is a teacher and wondering how hard it is to get a teaching position here. We are a very active/outdoorsy family and love doing fun things on the weekends: art exhibits, concerts, hiking, swimming, skiing, parks, fun family things. Any info would be helpful. Also any info average home prices? Is it possible to get a small but decent home in a nice neighborhood for around 100,000? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
The first thing he needs to do is find out the easiest way to get certified in Arkansas. Everybody wants to teach in NWA because they pay the most money in the state, so he will have some deep competition. What does he teach?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
The first thing he needs to do is find out the easiest way to get certified in Arkansas. Everybody wants to teach in NWA because they pay the most money in the state, so he will have some deep competition. What does he teach?
When our granddaughter graduated a few years ago from AR she and friends, a couple with masters degrees could not find teahing jobs here. I think they have all gone back to school or moved out of the area. The few that stayed are in other fields. You are right, the job is the first consideration.

Nita

Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 AM

He teaches middle school math and he has 8 years of experience and a master's degree in education. do you think that will help?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple4family View Post
He teaches middle school math and he has 8 years of experience and a master's degree in education. do you think that will help?
yes, the experience will certainly hlep, so will the masters, but it is still tough. I would suggest he start looking asap. Maybe even a visit to the area would not be a bad idea. He could talk to the various school districts, not just Fayetteville but some of the surrounding ones.

NIta

Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I believe that Bentonville will be opening a new middle-level or junior high building next year. That would be a good possibility.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I believe that Bentonville will be opening a new middle-level or junior high building next year. That would be a good possibility.
I was thinking the same thing. Bentonville school district is growning very fast.

Nita

Old 10-11-2011, 11:55 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,329 times
Just so you're aware, almost all education students from the UofA graduate with a master's. The UofA's program has been a five year MAT program for over 10 years. This will make it more challenging to find a job. Many districts are pinched for cash--they'd hire a new grad with no experience over an experienced teacher to keep the salary lower.

Fayetteville will be doing some shuffling of grades/schools when the renovations are complete at the high school which is supposed to house 9-12 grades. I think we'll see middle schools become grades 5-6 and junior high become 7-8 grades.

As suggested by another poster--get his resume out now. Perhaps take a day off and come visit with principals at schools??

On to more positive things--biking--Fayetteville has a great new trail system, perfect for biking. There is a pretty good size community of bikers around. We do host the Joe Martin Stage Race in May--brings bikers from all over the country. Check out JM's Stage Race website.Joe Martin Stage Race Then shoot the race director an email. I'm sure Bruce can/will tell you all about the biking folks in NWA.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Bentonville school district is growning very fast.

Nita

I'm concerned about moving to Bentonville. We are coming from a big city and we really enjoy living in a larger city with what that offers to us. Six years ago we lived in a small town like Bentonville, for two years. And although the people were very sweet and it had some wonderful things about it; we have gotten used to big cities and think we would best find that in Fayetteville as opposed to Bentonville.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple4family View Post
I'm concerned about moving to Bentonville. We are coming from a big city and we really enjoy living in a larger city with what that offers to us. Six years ago we lived in a small town like Bentonville, for two years. And although the people were very sweet and it had some wonderful things about it; we have gotten used to big cities and think we would best find that in Fayetteville as opposed to Bentonville.
I don't think you will find much difference between Fayetteville and Bentonville except Fayetteville is more liberal. If that is what you want, yes, Fayetteville would be a great match. I will add, from Fayetteville to the MO border is just one big city almost. You have large shopping malls in both places, Walton Art Center is moving to Bentonville and Crystal Bridges is due to open in about a month (maybe a little longer) There are just about every major chain restauant and lot of independently restaurants in both cities as well as in Rogers. Fayetteville has the university which makes it special; Bentonville/Rogers has Wal Mart headquarters plus you have Hunt Trucking and Tysons for starters. Regardless of what area you choose, you will not get the true feeling of a really big metro city like you seem to be hoping for, but you are not going to get the small town atmosphere like you experienced in some other place either. It is a balance.

BTW: I wasn't suggesting you move to Bentonville, I was thinking in terms of his getting a teacher position. Fayetteville isn't that far away. You can live in one and work in the other. Many people do.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers