Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be so thinskinned and please don't put words in my mouth that you throw back at me.
I never said ANYONE in MO is stupid !

I don't believe I said a---hardline-- a ,either.

And yes, to most midwesterners an area wher Baptist is the most dominant religion is southern.

I actually agree with a lot of your observations, so calm down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In that case, I'll back down, but I'll simply say this...while in general the Bible Belt covers the south, it also extends into Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, AND Missouri. And I can tell you that having been to many of these areas that the culture, the rest of the demographics, and attitudes all are not Southern. The accent is typically South Midland (Southern-influenced General American accents).

So while in general an area being mostly Baptist would qualify as Southern, there are special cases where it does not, and I'm referring specifically to these areas. That said, I'll agree that Bolivar could pass for southern as could Springfield, although the family I have from that area ardently denies being Southern. Being Baptist is just one component of being Southern.

Last edited by stlouisan; 03-09-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
In that case, I'll back down, but I'll simply say this...while in general the Bible Belt covers the south, it also extends into Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, AND Missouri. And I can tell you that having been to many of these areas that the culture, the rest of the demographics, and attitudes all are still Southern. The accent is typically South Midland (Southern-influenced General American accents).

So while in general an area being mostly Baptist would qualify as Southern, there are special cases where it does not, and I'm referring specifically to these areas. That said, I'll agree that Bolivar could pass for southern as could Springfield, although the family I have from that area ardently denies being Southern. Being Baptist is just one component of being Southern.

Good points.

Many times, I think, conversing/sharing thoughts by the internet is much more difficult than in person because we percieve the other person falsely .

( I am guilty of that a lot )

Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Good points.

Many times, I think, conversing/sharing thoughts by the internet is much more difficult than in person because we percieve the other person falsely .

I ageee, sometimes what seems to be a negative post really isn't meant that way..The problem though with the net, we are annonamous (spelling) so we often say things we would not otherwise say. We all need to pay attention as to how we come across to others. I know I need to be careful. I am really not a crabby old lady. I am old and crabby, but not always a lady..

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Good points.

Notice that I corrected my quote. I hope this doesn't change things.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Notice that I corrected my quote. I hope this doesn't change things.

Nope !

Old 03-10-2013, 05:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Folks, let's bring it back to Arkansas and stay on topic, please...NWA is southern, how southern is it?

(Is this the same as Is Arkansas a Midwest State or whatever that other thread was? Lordy. How we do go 'round in circles...)

Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Well, first of all.. I just came across this forum and I do appreciate the different viewpoints here. I would be considered a blue blood in Northwest Arkansas. We moved here in 1973 and I have threatened to leave quite often but never did. I can agree that there are disadvantages such as traffic/roads/highways.. but as for the "mid-western" or the "southern" dialect/intellect.. I would say neither really fit. Many people that live here have relatives in California. So, I would consider the southern intellect but that really doesn't fit. Neither does the Midwest term. I know that doesn't help very much but its not all one way or the other here. I really don't consider NWA southern but there are southern aspects. That is more than likely why the Midwestern/Southern topic has appeared so many times.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Fayetteville feels more "western" than "Midwestern" or "southwestern". Its like the south with the west mixed in.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
As mentioned over and over: NWA is a mixture of so many personalities because it is the WalMart headquarters and it is filled with retired people from all over the country, that it has its own personality. Here is a perfect example: I belong to a 8 player ladies bridge group: None of us are from AR. We represent: CA, TX, Minn, Ct, Kansas and Il.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 14,998 times
I'd say its as southern as what you see in a Faulkner novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers