Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Would you say the university basically IS the city. Everything in the city, basically revolves around the university? Meaning, most of the businesses that are setup in Fayetteville, center around the students?

When university students go home for the vacations, do most of the businesses kind of shut down with them?

Is it the kind of town, where when people graduate, they leave and look for jobs? Or is there somewhat of a market for them, to linger around indefinitely with a career?

Is the town itself 'walkable'? Or is it a bit car-oriented? If it is walkable, is that because there is a downtown with quite a few businesses completely independent of the university? Or is it more walkable for businesses that are adjacent to the university?

Sorry, for the questions, never been to Fayetteville, but the region seems to be an interesting one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I don't live in Fayetteville, so I'm sure some of our regular posters will chime in with better information.

No, the University is not the city. Fayetteville is a thriving community. I can't think of any businesses that shut down when the "students go home". That said, the University of Arkansas home being at Fayetteville instead of more centrally located, like in Little Rock, is an interesting dynamic. The University serves as a sort of tourist attraction, especially during football season, when hotels and restaurants are completely booked.

After graduation, some students leave, some stay. There is a growing tech scene, and Wal-Mart, Tyson's, and J B Hunt, provide opportunities, not just through their corporate headquarters, but also because so many other companies have set up offices in the area in association with these big three.

Fayetteville's downtown area is walkable. Since the University is adjacent to the original downtown area, the downtown businesses serve customers from the University, and customers that have nothing to do with the University. The University isn't a separate world, it is an integrated part of the city, having been founded there in 1871. The community made a major commitment to the University when it outbid Little Rock to have the University founded in Fayetteville, and that commitment is the foundation for a very real partnership between the University and the city. But it is an equal partnership. The University is not the center of the universe for Fayetteville. Even though it may seem like it when we are all rooting for our Hogs.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times
I think the University was the city maybe 20 years ago. Fayetteville has outgrown that "there's nothing here but a college" thing, though. The University is still the largest employer in Fayetteville and students still make up 35% of the city population.

There are just as many "townie" and grown up watering holes and restaurants in Fayetteville. There isn't a strong delineation between what is "student oriented" and what is for the residents. There are a few bars which are almost strictly students, and there are a few that are almost strictly townies, but the whole scene intermingles a lot. Downtown is a mixture like that of all of the businesses.

Downtown is walkable. Downtown happens to be adjacent to the university. Dickson is walkable because of its proximity to the school's campus. Much of the rest of the city is served by the city's trail network, although there are areas which are not.

Fayetteville has grown a lot lately and some of that is directly associated with the university, but a lot of it is associated with the emergence of white collar job centers to the north, as well as home grown start ups in Fayetteville.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
I have only visited for a few days at a time (moving edges nearer!), but I never even saw the influence of the university beyond a few signs.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I have only visited for a few days at a time (moving edges nearer!), but I never even saw the influence of the university beyond a few signs.
Just visit on Football Saturdays!!!!

Old 08-29-2014, 02:41 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
What's this "go home" thing? I started at Fayetteville during a spring semester and took classes straight through until graduation the next August. There were weekend trips to visit family. Same applied in undergrad except I worked a few summers but still lived in Monticello full time.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just visit on Football Saturdays!!!!
I'd rather not, lol. Just not my thing.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I'd rather not, lol. Just not my thing.
well it is mine and I still do not like to be anywhere near the crowds; but the good news, the entire town gets involved and the city becomes a total college town for 10 hours or so....

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
well it is mine and I still do not like to be anywhere near the crowds; but the good news, the entire town gets involved and the city becomes a total college town for 10 hours or so....
I'm a rather anti-social person when it comes to lots of people/gatherings. Nothing against those who like that sort of thing, but I'll either stay home or be at work if I have my preference.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Foreigner preformed with Rogers High School choir last night. I didn't go but had friends that did and said it was an outstanding performance. Here is a U-Tube video but it's not very good quality. The kids were hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yiVqdz_b9k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers