Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times

Advertisements

Plano covers 71.6 square miles.

Fayetteville covers 55 square miles. Fayetteville isn't as dense as Plano (Plano is mostly tract houses built with small yards). Fayetteville has something like 4000 acres of parkland in the city limits.

I've lived in DFW before. It offers a different kind of quality of life. There really isn't much in DFW materially that you can't find here. There are a lot of natural amenities and benefits to living here that simply don't exist in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
I understand your frustration about Shreveport. How about move 200 miles west to Dallas area? Most folks I know live in Shreveport move to Dallas finally.

Dallas is a fairly large and young community. NWA is growing like crazy, yes. However, it is still a small community with half million people locate in a large area.

For Dallas, you can have a town smaller than Fayetteville with 230 grand people (Plano/Richardson)..
We lived 13 years in the DFW metroplex. Did we like it? Some parts yes, more no, but I can assure you the 2 areas are very different. That being said, you have the same amenties in NWA except for In&Out and Trader Joes'. We have excellent schools, medical facilities, top entertainment, good dining options and the availabilty of great outdoor activities. Plus we don't have the same ungodly heat and humidity that we had in Dallas. yes, we have humidity and yes we have heat, but the summer doesn't go from April to Oct and the nights don't stay in the 80s for months at a time.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We lived 13 years in the DFW metroplex. Did we like it? Some parts yes, more no, but I can assure you the 2 areas are very different. That being said, you have the same amenties in NWA except for In&Out and Trader Joes'. We have excellent schools, medical facilities, top entertainment, good dining options and the availabilty of great outdoor activities. Plus we don't have the same ungodly heat and humidity that we had in Dallas. yes, we have humidity and yes we have heat, but the summer doesn't go from April to Oct and the nights don't stay in the 80s for months at a time.
That's a good assessment of DFW vs NWA. I'd go a step further and say, we don't have all of the entertainment options of DFW, but I can't tell you how many times we skipped out on doing something "fun" in DFW because we simply didn't want to deal with the traffic or lines. I think we went to one Rangers game ever, because the traffic was simply too much to deal with any day except Saturday. Plus, it was just so hot until the very end of the season.

We've never decided to skip an event here because of "traffic". NWA gets good musicians, has theater, visual arts, and all kinds of community events and they are so accessible to the average resident. That's a big advantage over DFW, IMO.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM

573 posts, read 586,206 times
See I am the type of person who prefers insanely hot so long as I don't have to deal with the cold. The issue with Dallas is that it can get sweltering hot, AND it can also have some very bitter winters. You have to deal with both extremes. Now I am sure Fayetteville gets much colder and harsher in the winter than Dallas, but I doubt it is that big of a divide. Also it sounds like the Spring/Summer is more tolerable in Fayetteville. My fiancee and myself are still moving forward with our plans to move in June, and we couldn't be more excited! Only two more months! I am already researching bicycles and taking inventory of our outdoor equipment in preparation!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:44 PM

240 posts, read 344,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For a young couple in late 20s, a growing Dallas seems more fantastic than a community full with retired/current senior executives or middle managers of a major corporation (Bella Vista)...

Generally speaking, young people love big city than a small town. The biggest driver for young people and foreign talents to NWA is job opportunities.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 PM

240 posts, read 344,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
See I am the type of person who prefers insanely hot so long as I don't have to deal with the cold. The issue with Dallas is that it can get sweltering hot, AND it can also have some very bitter winters. You have to deal with both extremes. Now I am sure Fayetteville gets much colder and harsher in the winter than Dallas, but I doubt it is that big of a divide. Also it sounds like the Spring/Summer is more tolerable in Fayetteville. My fiancee and myself are still moving forward with our plans to move in June, and we couldn't be more excited! Only two more months! I am already researching bicycles and taking inventory of our outdoor equipment in preparation!
Welcome to NWA.

I am kind of person OK with hot, but not horrible cold. So, my final destination will be Florida. Maybe Jacksonville or Tampa or Naples..

Shreveport, Monroe, and Ruston looks slow and underdeveloped.
I know how frustrated about N. Louisiana. NWA is certainly fantastic than N. Louisiana....

Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 PM

573 posts, read 586,206 times
Ok so a little update. We are not going to be able to move until very late July, or early August but still plan on coming. I have already applied to NWACC and pretty sure I am going to be accepted. The only issue we are having so far is finding jobs in education or non-profit for my Fiancee. She hasn't seen any teaching or administrative jobs open in the area. I am calling on my professional friends here at city-data to see if you can't help us search somewhere we haven't looked, or let us know about opportunities. She is qualified as both a teacher with experience, and extensively in non-profit with Lee, Americorp, and Teach for America, with leadership experience in Girl Scouts of America. I do appreciate any guidance you are able to provide, thanks!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Ok so a little update. We are not going to be able to move until very late July, or early August but still plan on coming. I have already applied to NWACC and pretty sure I am going to be accepted. The only issue we are having so far is finding jobs in education or non-profit for my Fiancee. She hasn't seen any teaching or administrative jobs open in the area. I am calling on my professional friends here at city-data to see if you can't help us search somewhere we haven't looked, or let us know about opportunities. She is qualified as both a teacher with experience, and extensively in non-profit with Lee, Americorp, and Teach for America, with leadership experience in Girl Scouts of America. I do appreciate any guidance you are able to provide, thanks!
Thanks for the update. Late July isn't all that far away, so just hang in there. Good luck, I am sure she can find something. It is good you have a contact that should be able to help. Even if she doesn't get the perfect job right away, I am sure she will soon as you get settled.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
My only guidance would be don't rule out the smaller districts adjacent to Fayetteville. West Fork, Greenland, Farmington, Prairie Grove, Elkins all have their own public school districts. Lots of folks live in Fayetteville and work as teachers in those areas. It might not be your first choice, but it will get your foot in the door in NWA and give you the ability to network within the larger education community. A reverse commute to one of the outlying areas isn't bad at all.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
My only guidance would be don't rule out the smaller districts adjacent to Fayetteville. West Fork, Greenland, Farmington, Prairie Grove, Elkins all have their own public school districts. Lots of folks live in Fayetteville and work as teachers in those areas. It might not be your first choice, but it will get your foot in the door in NWA and give you the ability to network within the larger education community. A reverse commute to one of the outlying areas isn't bad at all.
Also if he is attending NWACC there is no reason for them to have to live near Fayetteville or that locatin. I am sure there are teaching jobs and other education jobs in districts like Gravette and Pea Ridge, as well as all those you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers