Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 PM

573 posts, read 585,464 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Oklahoma most of my life, and even recently in the Norman area. I saw how rapidly the OKC metro exploded, and I am curious, do you guys think NWA will ever grow like that? Or is that simply too high of a ceiling? I only ask because unlike my Fiancée, I prefer cities with 500k+ for jobs and entertainment, especially professional sports. Would it take more corporations moving to NWA to make that happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 02:21 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I have lived in Oklahoma most of my life, and even recently in the Norman area. I saw how rapidly the OKC metro exploded, and I am curious, do you guys think NWA will ever grow like that? Or is that simply too high of a ceiling? I only ask because unlike my Fiancée, I prefer cities with 500k+ for jobs and entertainment, especially professional sports. Would it take more corporations moving to NWA to make that happen?
I feel like topography is a limiting factor. Infrastructure, as well. I don't know. I really hope it doesn't. If it does, though, I'm selling my estate, moving to AK, and noone will see me again.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
NWA has reached that magic number of 500,000 but how much more it grows depends. I don't think even if we pass 100,000 it will be the same or look the same as OKC> The setting is just so different and we have so much beautiful land that can be developed without changing the wonder of living here.

Yes, major companies have to relocate to see the growth. I think of Dallas even more than OKC when it comes to the growth.

I do not see the pro sports teams coming here, so we will have to continue to love our minor league baseball, our Hogs and cheer for our favorite teams in other areas.

You mention jobs, there is no shortage of good jobs in the area. Our granddaughter's husband is a young, just starting out accountant out of college in OK about 3 years: he had no trouble getting a good position with a top national company here.She is a nurse practitioner: same thing, she had a couple of job offers before she graduated. They love living here even though they are both OU grads. Of course they are sitll loyal to OU when it comes to sports.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
Thus far, all of NWAs growth in jobs has been organic, meaning it hasn't come from outside the region. The Fortune 500s here are all homegrown.

If NWA reaches a point where outside companies begin to relocate here, watch out. Still, I just can't see this area ever becoming a real "big city" feel. Like Nita said, even if it doubled in population from right now, its spread among a couple of counties and lots of land, so it still wouldn't even be as dense as the north Dallas suburbs. (which would be my nightmare scenario for NWA!!)

Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 PM

573 posts, read 585,464 times
I agree with you both, there is such a thing as too big! I wouldn't want to see the beautiful nature aspect of NWA destroyed. I feel torn because as much as I like the convenience and things to do in large cities, traffic, pollution, costs, and huge populations get very depressing. It is why I liked vacationing to Southern California, but couldn't live there stuffed into an overpriced box :-|

Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
Quote:
I agree with you both, there is such a thing as too big! I wouldn't want to see the beautiful nature aspect of NWA destroyed. I feel torn because as much as I like the convenience and things to do in large cities, traffic, pollution, costs, and huge populations get very depressing. It is why I liked vacationing to Southern California, but couldn't live there stuffed into an overpriced box :-|
A good sign that this hasn't happened and won't for many years if at all is the fact that there are very rural areas just outside of the larger towns. Drive 15 minutes east of the Fayetteville city limits and you are in the wilderness for all intents and purposes. It isn't protected land, just rural land. Smaller counties which are counted as part of this metro aren't even really seeing much growth at all.

Someday the metro might sprawl to include towns like Huntsville or West Fork into a continuous urban area, but that is decades off, if it happens at all.

Fayetteville is actually making a big push towards denser development in town, partially to prevent sprawl like I've described.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 26,919 times
I relocated here from Southern California several years ago and since I've been here I have been amazed at the rapid growth of the area. In many ways, organically at least, NWA reminds me of the sprawl of Southern California and you really do need a car to get around here.

It seems as though everywhere you go housing or businesses are being built and roads are being improved or widened. A lot of the growth seems to happen over night. But just like Southern California is made up of so many towns, cities and communities, NWA also seems to have the same dynamic of being a group of communities in search of a city. There is really no one dominant city that you could say is the anchor of the NWA Metroplex.

If the continued growth of the area is managed properly then it will allow for the preservation of the natural beauty of the area while providing for the additional amenities a larger regional population base provides. It is up to each county in the NWA Metroplex to have an adequate Growth Plan and to constantly review and revise that plan as necessary, while listening to and accommodating the needs of the local citizenry.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
socaldude101, you make very good points. But I would argue that Fayetteville is the dominant city of the area- mainly due to the Univ. of Ark. main campus (my alma mater). The university alone generates many related businesses and research activities for the region.

I'm not anxious for your area to get big, but I doubt the topography will slow down growth. Just look at San Diego and Los Angeles. They built freeways over mountains, through tunnels, etc, etc.

On a different subject, I've been looking online at properties for sale in Wash. County with at least 2 acres. Many are mobile homes, but some stick built. My concern is the problems this isolation causes: emergency health care, loneliness, wildlife problems, break-ins. Any comments on these concerns of mine?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
socaldude101, you make very good points. But I would argue that Fayetteville is the dominant city of the area- mainly due to the Univ. of Ark. main campus (my alma mater). The university alone generates many related businesses and research activities for the region.

I'm not anxious for your area to get big, but I doubt the topography will slow down growth. Just look at San Diego and Los Angeles. They built freeways over mountains, through tunnels, etc, etc.

On a different subject, I've been looking online at properties for sale in Wash. County with at least 2 acres. Many are mobile homes, but some stick built. My concern is the problems this isolation causes: emergency health care, loneliness, wildlife problems, break-ins. Any comments on these concerns of mine?
Doug, as someone who was born and raised in S.California, went to SDSU I do see what you are saying, but the tepography there compared to here really is very different and the open spaces here are so much more than even the 50s in California, I really do not see it the same. Yes, maybe eventually but that will be so many years away, most of us won't be around to see the changes and people having smaller families now, there will not be the need for homes we had 50 or so years ago.

As for Fayettervilee being the primary city, I would say it is a toss up between FAyetteville and Bentonville for obvious reasons.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,073 times
I've been wondering: what's going on in the NWA for it to boom like it has? I get that Walmart is based there, and the main branch of UA is there. Does UA have a research park that's developing jobs at such a rapid pace? Also, do any of you see Fayetteville or even Springdale become larger than Little Rock someday?

@nmnita, I once lived in San Diego. I had a blast living there and would go back in a heartbeat if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers