Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
NY Jew is not a good fit for that area.
I think this part may be more important to that lack of fit. I have Jewish neighbors who have been here for decades and own a well-known local business. There are "small town Jews", too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM

461 posts, read 546,884 times
I'm a NY Jew (and an Israeli too) and I could live in NWA. I went to grad school in Knoxville, TN and had zero problems. In fact, my biggest problem was that a good ol girl who'd never seen one of US became a bit too enamored of me.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:50 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
your opinion; these studies are done constantly, of course they company has an agenda to push, but I will add, NWA is almost always in the list of best places to live or start a business regardless of who is doing the study, not to mention it is still fun to see your region make a good list. God only knows, probably from people like you we get enough of a bum wrap. As for Orlando, you are forgetting these studies factor in a lot of fields, and are referring to the entire region, not just one city. How much time have you spent in Orlando or NWA for that matter? We have a daughter who lives in the Orlando area, no not the city itself. The hoes are outstanding, the weather is great except for high humidty,, the people are friendly, lots of great outdoor activities and I am not talking Disney World types. The economy is great, the shopping is good and the area is clean; one of the cleanest I have ever seen.

So take the study the way you want, i do agree, as I have said a study a month from now might be totally different, but let us have our fun. Maybe come and visit with an open mind and then post your opinion.
I lived in Orlando for 5 years and the bolded is never a statement I would have used to describe people in Orlando. In fact my wife grew up there and when we moved to Pittsburgh someone said hi to us as we were walking down the street and she turned to look at me and ask if I knew him from work. She had never experienced that before, lol. In my experience Orlando people have a very northeastern attitude.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:52 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Down from #3 on the list last year, but still high praise.

100 Best Places to Live in the USA 2017 | US News Best Places to Live

1. Austin, TX
2. Denver, CO
3. San Jose, CA
4. Washington, DC
5. Fayetteville, AR
6. Seattle, WA
7. Raleigh & Durham, NC
8. Boston, MA
9. Des Moines, IA
10. Salt Lake City, UT
I saw this on the MSN homepage yesterday. I didn't want to click through 25 windows, so I left and went directly to the U.S. News site. The U.S. News site lists all 100. It is evident when looking at the 100 that there aren't any really small cities on the list. The U.S. News site reveals (people who look at the list every year/want to see where their city ranks...might already know this) that the first qualifier isn't merely that the location be in the U.S. or a territory, but that the location = one of the 100 largest metros. Some cities outside the 100 largest metros might be better places to live, but they don't meet that first qualifier. That said, I still think it is an interesting list.

The list on the U.S. News site also gives some detail about each city.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I lived in Orlando for 5 years and the bolded is never a statement I would have used to describe people in Orlando. In fact my wife grew up there and when we moved to Pittsburgh someone said hi to us as we were walking down the street and she turned to look at me and ask if I knew him from work. She had never experienced that before, lol. In my experience Orlando people have a very northeastern attitude.
Maybe I just haven't seen that part of Orlando. I certainly never lived there, but our kids love it and always love the basically friendly attitude. Maybe it is where they live: they are in Windermere, just outside of Orlando. I am also very impressed with how clean the region is. We have rarely seen a large city or region as well maintained as the Orlando area. As for traffic, again, for us; living in Los Angeles, the DC area and Dallas, Orlando traffic has never seem particularly bad. Let's face it, this is all opinion on all our parts, not fact.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I saw this on the MSN homepage yesterday. I didn't want to click through 25 windows, so I left and went directly to the U.S. News site. The U.S. News site lists all 100. It is evident when looking at the 100 that there aren't any really small cities on the list. The U.S. News site reveals (people who look at the list every year/want to see where their city ranks...might already know this) that the first qualifier isn't merely that the location be in the U.S. or a territory, but that the location = one of the 100 largest metros. Some cities outside the 100 largest metros might be better places to live, but they don't meet that first qualifier. That said, I still think it is an interesting list.

The list on the U.S. News site also gives some detail about each city.
I don't think Fayetteville, AR is on the list of the 100 largest metros.

NYCdata: Top 100 Metropolitan Areas in the U.S. - Ranked by Population

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek View Post
any list with San Jose, Wash DC, and Boston on it could be re-named "The Most Expensive Places to Live in the US"
Good point !

I see Denver Colorado could be included on your list.

A good friend of my daughter is a school teacher ( mid 30's female single ) and spent a few years teaching in New York City. She thought cost of living was high , but she could afford a small apartment on her salary.
She decided to move to Denver. Got hired, but found out she would need a room mate in order to afford an apartment.

Maybe New York City is very expensive, but it appears in Denver teacher's wages don't match cost of living.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think Fayetteville, AR is on the list of the 100 largest metros.

NYCdata: Top 100 Metropolitan Areas in the U.S. - Ranked by Population

neither are Salt Lake City Utah or Des Moines Iowa.
They, also, are on the same list with Fayetteville.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,535 times
I think the Best Places list included metros of 500k plus.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 22,041 times
Default Denver needs to be removed from that list..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Good point !

I see Denver Colorado could be included on your list.

A good friend of my daughter is a school teacher ( mid 30's female single ) and spent a few years teaching in New York City. She thought cost of living was high , but she could afford a small apartment on her salary.
She decided to move to Denver. Got hired, but found out she would need a room mate in order to afford an apartment.

Maybe New York City is very expensive, but it appears in Denver teacher's wages don't match cost of living.
I was just about to post about Denver. I cannot believe it's on this list. Denver is SOOO incredibly over crowed, ( ALLL of Northern Colorado is) and SOO overpriced, they are pushing middle and lower class out in mass quantities. That may be appealing to the rich, but for us middle of the road people, it seriously sucks. We are considering Arkansas (My husband is from there ) and the pay IS. THE. SAME. for his field. I have no idea why or how Colorado gets away with paying so very little and charging so much to live here but they sure do. Unless you like tons and tons of traffic and little to no financial gain, Id highly considering moving somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers