Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 01:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times

Advertisements

Here's a site where you can view progress on the expansion of the football stadium in Fayetteville, as well as a couple other University of Arkansas projects. You can click on your webcam of choice and zoom in as you please, and there is also the option to view a time-lapse of construction so far:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/universityofarkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
I thought it was kind of cool, that you could drive by and look right into the stadium but progress is progress.

How many additional seats? and how many total seating?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:52 PM

I'm not sure about the stadium size, but it looks like they are maintaining the corner where you can see into the stadium. This is from the university website:

Old 07-01-2017, 04:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Thanks for sharing. I know a lot of people were pretty upset and probably still are at the money being spent on the stadium when there are other uses for those $$S that can help toward educating our young men and women. That certainly is true but people who do not enjoy football have no idea how much money the sport brings into the school.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for sharing. I know a lot of people were pretty upset and probably still are at the money being spent on the stadium when there are other uses for those $$S that can help toward educating our young men and women. That certainly is true but people who do not enjoy football have no idea how much money the sport brings into the school.

Most larger "sports schools" fund facilities via private funds and revenues from TV contracts.

I'm not saying zero school funds support athletics anywhere, but I know UT funds its facilities and teams through a foundation set up to receive (tax deductible) donations and gifts, and then bond service is done with ticket revenue. It's an argument that comes up, but in general, stadiums like this in big-time sports conferences are entirely paid without tax funds or university funds.

Now, the real question that boggles my mind, is that if a person has enough $$$$ to make large charitable contributions, why in the world would you make those contributions towards SPORTS facilities. But I digress.

The athletic department here actually generates enough revenue that they pay in to the general fund, and are providing part of the debt service for a new-ish academic building on campus, which is therefore named "Champions Hall".

Most big public universities (the actual academic institutions) view their athletic programs as a marketing tool and enhancer of student-life.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Here's an article, put out by the athletic department, regarding athletics revenue. Again, this isn't the case everywhere, but I knew it was the case at Arkansas (being a SEC school):

Arkansas One of 24 Financially Self-Supporting Programs in NCAA | Arkansas Razorbacks

Old 07-01-2017, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Most larger "sports schools" fund facilities via private funds and revenues from TV contracts.

I'm not saying zero school funds support athletics anywhere, but I know UT funds its facilities and teams through a foundation set up to receive (tax deductible) donations and gifts, and then bond service is done with ticket revenue. It's an argument that comes up, but in general, stadiums like this in big-time sports conferences are entirely paid without tax funds or university funds.

Now, the real question that boggles my mind, is that if a person has enough $$$$ to make large charitable contributions, why in the world would you make those contributions towards SPORTS facilities. But I digress.

The athletic department here actually generates enough revenue that they pay in to the general fund, and are providing part of the debt service for a new-ish academic building on campus, which is therefore named "Champions Hall".

Most big public universities (the actual academic institutions) view their athletic programs as a marketing tool and enhancer of student-life.
Actually I think that is what I was talking about but 1st; most people who are not sports fans think the money comes from the general funds and/or they wonder why private contributions do go to sports instead of the university to be used toward the educational development. I think that is what you are saying.

Yes, large schools with good sports programs do consider it a way to entice some kids to attend. it is a great marketing tool.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually I think that is what I was talking about but 1st; most people who are not sports fans think the money comes from the general funds and/or they wonder why private contributions do go to sports instead of the university to be used toward the educational development. I think that is what you are saying.

Yes, large schools with good sports programs do consider it a way to entice some kids to attend. it is a great marketing tool.
In general, I'd personally prefer to see $150 million campaigns to enhance academic buildings, but for whatever reason, it is harder to get people to donate towards things like that.

I'm not a huge sports fan, but the stadium in Fayetteville is already very impressive. The construction taking place is making it moreso.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:51 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
In general, I'd personally prefer to see $150 million campaigns to enhance academic buildings, but for whatever reason, it is harder to get people to donate towards things like that.
Poultry science majors have a 1st class building, thanks to Tyson. And that's the existing one on the main campus, not the new Ag Science place they're building out north.
Some of the fine and liberal arts department facilities are a disgrace though. I don't play powerball but if I did and if I won, that's where I'd put a good chunk of change.

It's only right that donors put their money where they want to, and no doubt the new boxes will bring in more $$$.
Living near and driving by or through the campus everyday, I appreciate all the ongoing improvements including the fancy stone walls, sidewalks, and signage installed last year on MLK and Razorback. I imagine some alumni earmarked their donation specifically for that project. Looks good.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:48 PM

I agree that the overall trend is upward. The sorority houses along Maple are already palatial, and the new ones under construction are continuing that trend. They are all shooting for the 40,000 square foot range now. On that camera page you can see the new Phi Mu under construction. Here's a rendering:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
View detailed profiles of: