Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee07 View Post
I will be relocating to NWA soon due to a job opportunity. Can anyone tell me the best or worst place to live... Rogers, Bentonville, Centerton are all areas that I have searched for homes in. Does anyone know of any African - American social networks, churches, or the like? I will not know anyone in the area.
Welcome to Gods land as I call it. I hope you enjoy living here as much as we do.

I can't answer you question about African-American networks, but I can assure you all three areas are just fine. i think you will find Rogers a little more diverse than Bentonville and certianly more diverse than Centerton. It is a small community with nice homes, some wtih quite a bit of land and pretty rural, although it certainly isn't in the sticks.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Welcome to Gods land as I call it. I hope you enjoy living here as much as we do.

I can't answer you question about African-American networks, but I can assure you all three areas are just fine. i think you will find Rogers a little more diverse than Bentonville and certianly more diverse than Centerton. It is a small community with nice homes, some wtih quite a bit of land and pretty rural, although it certainly isn't in the sticks.

Nita
Nita, check the date on the OP's post.

Gotcha!!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Nita, check the date on the OP's post.

Gotcha!!
Damn, and I am usually the one that picks up on this. Shame on me. Do ya think he/she ever decided where to live?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'waPiechal View Post
Stay away from Huntsville, or areas East of Springdale. This is traditionally the capitol of the KKK !!
I know, hard to believe but true.
Rogers is a beautiful little city. Bentonville is amazing with many beautiful old homes near the downtown area.
Is there a reason you choose to dig up a thread that is over 2 years old and then to post information that is only partly true?

Nita

Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,265 times
***I know that the original post is old, but recent comments have been made on the topic and I felt them necessary to address***

Rogers and Bentonville do possess a certain charm in the looks department. But the area is not really known for it's ethnic diversity(take a look at the proportional breakdown of ethnicities). You will find a few foreign food restaurants, which is a plus, but it really does'nt get more diverse than that. African American presence in Bentonville and Rogers is close to nil, although I have seen a handful commuting to churches in those areas. I live in Fayetteville but work in Rogers. Fayetteville has been great to live in, and according to friends, to work and play if you stay close to the downtown, metro area.

The experience in Rogers is like stepping back in time, into the 50's or 60's era, as far as how you can expect to be received. In general, ppl are descent and will leave you alone, but there are many that will appear friendly only in order to convey a hostile point of view to you. Soon you'll find that their attitudes are overwhelmingly politically oriented and downright hostile towards certain groups moving into this area. I'd been told before moving here that "green" is the only color natives are concerned about...with the fortune 500 companies and business generated by Wal-Mart corporate, jobs are plentiful in this area. Well, maybe that is true in the higher echelons. But you will not be dealing with those kind, it is the commoners you will encounter day in and out. Excelling in your field and generating more income for your company, or moving into certain neighborhoods will not be tolerated gently by these kind of folks. Psychological harassment and under-mining of minorities (including women) at work is rampant at several places in this area. I have known of a handful of people who have moved from this area because of that very reason.

That "'ole boy" system runs deep and strong, and just by being here, some will see you as a threat to their "way of life". About a year ago, an African friend of mine was promoted to management at his company. This promotion was met with great hostility and sneers from those underneath him. Shortly afterward, he was brutally attacked and his home vandalized...he did live in Huntsville...and the offenders were alleged KKK's. But many who work in this area (NWA) are commuting from somewhere nearby.

I heard Bentonville is home to a much more legalistic atmosphere. Most of the companies there have something to do with Wal-Mart, and Wal-Mart has people flying in from all over the world, no less the country. I guess their no tolerance policy influences how people conduct themselves both at work and in public.

Just my 2 cents

Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-fearingCitizen View Post
***I know that the original post is old, but recent comments have been made on the topic and I felt them necessary to address***

Rogers and Bentonville do possess a certain charm in the looks department. But the area is not really known for it's ethnic diversity(take a look at the proportional breakdown of ethnicities). You will find a few foreign food restaurants, which is a plus, but it really does'nt get more diverse than that. African American presence in Bentonville and Rogers is close to nil, although I have seen a handful commuting to churches in those areas. I live in Fayetteville but work in Rogers. Fayetteville has been great to live in, and according to friends, to work and play if you stay close to the downtown, metro area.

The experience in Rogers is like stepping back in time, into the 50's or 60's era, as far as how you can expect to be received. In general, ppl are descent and will leave you alone, but there are many that will appear friendly only in order to convey a hostile point of view to you. Soon you'll find that their attitudes are overwhelmingly politically oriented and downright hostile towards certain groups moving into this area. I'd been told before moving here that "green" is the only color natives are concerned about...with the fortune 500 companies and business generated by Wal-Mart corporate, jobs are plentiful in this area. Well, maybe that is true in the higher echelons. But you will not be dealing with those kind, it is the commoners you will encounter day in and out. Excelling in your field and generating more income for your company, or moving into certain neighborhoods will not be tolerated gently by these kind of folks. Psychological harassment and under-mining of minorities (including women) at work is rampant at several places in this area. I have known of a handful of people who have moved from this area because of that very reason.

That "'ole boy" system runs deep and strong, and just by being here, some will see you as a threat to their "way of life". About a year ago, an African friend of mine was promoted to management at his company. This promotion was met with great hostility and sneers from those underneath him. Shortly afterward, he was brutally attacked and his home vandalized...he did live in Huntsville...and the offenders were alleged KKK's. But many who work in this area (NWA) are commuting from somewhere nearby.

I heard Bentonville is home to a much more legalistic atmosphere. Most of the companies there have something to do with Wal-Mart, and Wal-Mart has people flying in from all over the world, no less the country. I guess their no tolerance policy influences how people conduct themselves both at work and in public.

Just my 2 cents
I can only agree with part of what you say, yes, the African American is not a common sight but there are more all the time and yes, Huntsville is very "back woods" in many ways, the rest of what you say is nuts.

If people working in NWA commute from other places, would care to tell us from where. I don't know as single person working in NNW that does not live in the area somewhere or maybe SW MO.

Ethnic restaurants? They are everywhere: there are zillions of Mexican restaurtants (some actually pretty good) there is a couple of Japanese restaurants in the area as well as both good and bad Chinese restaurants. There is a new Indian restaurant on Walnut. This is just for starters, not to mention there are several ethnic grocery stores throughout NWA.

As for women in the work place, I have friends and family members who are females and have done very well.

Your opinions are not exactly as some may see the area. This doesn't make you wrong or me wrong and yes, politically most of NWA is conservative, but it isn't quite the way you are seeing it.

Nita

Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,265 times
Nita,

I've noticed that you have devoted a great deal of energy to the rebuttal of any remotely negative opinion/report of the areas mentioned. How is it that your one perspective trumps everyone else's? And why must a person be "nuts" to admit to having experienced the aforementioned? I assume from the tone of your comments that you are most likely not an African American, and therefore, not the most qualified to address the culturally specific concerns of any African American person moving to or living in this area.

I am not posting here to negatively influence people from moving/working in this area, as it has great potential. I am simply providing yet another frame of reference for others to draw from when making up their own minds.

Moreover, I think it's intellectually not sound and unreasonable to accuse a total stranger, over the internet, of not clearly "seeing" the "things" that affect them personally. You neither know me nor have walked a day in my shoes. You are majorly lacking in information to make such an assessment.

I don't know what caliber of education you might have had, but where I am from people are taught that even opinions should be well-formed.

Sincerely,

GFC

Last edited by God-fearingCitizen; 12-05-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Html codes visible- Thanks :)

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
In all reality, these people you see on the street or in a restaurant are not giving you a second thought whatsoever good or bad.

Quote:
In general, ppl are descent and will leave you alone, but there are many that will appear friendly only in order to convey a hostile point of view to you.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Debate is fine. Discussion is fine. Bickering is unacceptable. Please limit your posts to debate, not personalities. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Nita,

I've noticed that you have devoted a great deal of energy to the rebuttal of any remotely negative opinion/report of the areas mentioned. How is it that your one perspective trumps everyone else's? And why must a person be "nuts" to admit to having experienced the aforementioned? I assume from the tone of your comments that you are most likely not an African American, and therefore, not the most qualified to address the culturally specific concerns of any African American person moving to or living in this area.

I am not posting here to negatively influence people from moving/working in this area, as it has great potential. I am simply providing yet another frame of reference for others to draw from when making up their own minds.

Moreover, I think it's intellectually not sound and unreasonable to accuse a total stranger, over the internet, of not clearly "seeing" the "things" that affect them personally. You neither know me nor have walked a day in my shoes. You are majorly lacking in information to make such an assessment.

I don't know what caliber of education you might have had, but where I am from people are taught that even opinions should be well-formed.

Sincerely,

GFC
I am sorry you decided to turn this into a racial issue. I certainly didn't mean to have this happen. I fully realize we all have a right to debate, that is all I was doing. I disagree on the restaurant part as I think the area is very diverse concidering our size when it comes to ethnic dining and grocery stores. I also did not understand you comment about many people who work in NWA do not live here. I simply asked you where they live?

I never meant for anyone to take anything I said as a personal attack, but I guess, for some reason you did. end of story.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers