Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 AM

45 posts, read 110,795 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking to leave Boston and relocate to either Nashville, Charlotte NC or Fayetteville AR. My husband also mentioned Knoxville but there are no direct flights back to Boston so I am really hesitant on that.

LOCATION: Open to exact area, smaller towns are better but neighborhoods in bigger towns are ok as well.

AUTISM/SERVICES: We've heard various things about autism and services. I really need more info on that. Are there issues with getting services? Are there insurance companies that don't have ABA / Autism coverage?

SCHOOLS/PROGRAMS - are there many schools in either of these areas that serve autistic kids? He is very high functioning. The issue we have is he's 4 and reads on a 4th-grade level, does 1st/2nd-grade math and is well past the K stage. Do any schools mix ages? We are open to independent schools as well.

WORK/COMMUTE: Husband is in manufacturing, currently is a Maintenace Manager for a food company here in Boston. What is the job market like in either of these places? I've done some searches and seen there are positions open and manufacturing seems to be doing well but I'd like any info you all can provide on what you see. He is open to up to an hour drive to work.

HOUSE: Larger house, 3+ beds, large yard, garage/workshop area, not houses on top of each other. Then there are the typical things - safe neighborhood, parks/playgrounds, shopping within a reasonable distance. Budget is $300k We prefer suburbs to city life.

I know that's a lot so thanks for getting this far! Any info is very much appreciated!

Last edited by tracyalexa; 08-02-2018 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
We are currently looking to leave Boston and relocate to either Nashville, Charlotte NC or Fayetteville AR. My husband also mentioned Knoxville but there are no direct flights back to Boston so I am really hesitant on that.

LOCATION: Open to exact area, smaller towns are better but neighborhoods in bigger towns are ok as well.

AUTISM/SERVICES: We've heard various things about autism and services. I really need more info on that. Are there issues with getting services? Are there insurance companies that don't have ABA / Autism coverage?

SCHOOLS/PROGRAMS - are there many schools in either of these areas that serve autistic kids? He is very high functioning. The issue we have is he's 4 and reads on a 4th-grade level, does 1st/2nd-grade math and is well past the K stage. Do any schools mix ages? We are open to independent schools as well.

WORK/COMMUTE: Husband is in manufacturing, currently is a Maintenace Manager for a food company here in Boston. What is the job market like in either of these places? I've done some searches and seen there are positions open and manufacturing seems to be doing well but I'd like any info you all can provide on what you see. He is open to up to an hour drive to work.

HOUSE: Larger house, 3+ beds, large yard, garage/workshop area, not houses on top of each other. Then there are the typical things - safe neighborhood, parks/playgrounds, shopping within a reasonable distance. Budget is $300k We prefer suburbs to city life.

I know that's a lot so thanks for getting this far! Any info is very much appreciated!
I am sure there are a few on here that will be able to help you with the autistic situation. I have no idea, but other wise I can assure you what you are looking for is very doable. There are neighborhoods that do have cookie cutter houses, one on top of the other, but there are just as many that have custom built homes with large lots. If you hadn't mentioned you prefer the burbs I would have suggested the downtown area of Bentonviile but there are lots of burbs that will probably meet your budget. Fayetteville will be a little more pricey so I am not sure if you can find what you want for under $300,000.

Jobwise; there should be no problems when you consider we are he headquarters for WalMart and Tyson's as well as Hunt trucking. there are a lot of other large companies with offices in the area.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 110,795 times
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:22 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure there are a few on here that will be able to help you with the autistic situation. I have no idea, but other wise I can assure you what you are looking for is very doable. There are neighborhoods that do have cookie cutter houses, one on top of the other, but there are just as many that have custom built homes with large lots. If you hadn't mentioned you prefer the burbs I would have suggested the downtown area of Bentonviile but there are lots of burbs that will probably meet your budget. Fayetteville will be a little more pricey so I am not sure if you can find what you want for under $300,000.

Jobwise; there should be no problems when you consider we are he headquarters for WalMart and Tyson's as well as Hunt trucking. there are a lot of other large companies with offices in the area.
Downtown Bentonville is really expensive now.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Downtown Bentonville is really expensive now.
yep, I know, that is why, after suggesting it I realized that $300,000 would not buy much. But I just love driving around there since all the renovations. 10 years ago, very few homes had been renovated, now there are so many and it is delightful. It takes talent to both keep the old charm and mix it with all the new conveniences we are all so used to.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, I know, that is why, after suggesting it I realized that $300,000 would not buy much. But I just love driving around there since all the renovations. 10 years ago, very few homes had been renovated, now there are so many and it is delightful. It takes talent to both keep the old charm and mix it with all the new conveniences we are all so used to.
I drove past this house a week or so ago and guessed it's sale price to be $500, then looked it up to see it's for sale at $1.1 million. I was pretty shocked at the values near downtown Bentonville, the area certainly is charming though. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-42746?view=qv

Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Check out Knoxville area. I think you'll find yourself priced out of the Nashville area and Kville isn't all that far from Nashville airport. There is another new Englander who now lives in Kville and you might get a reply from her if you post this in the real estate and/or TN forums.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Check out Knoxville area. I think you'll find yourself priced out of the Nashville area and Kville isn't all that far from Nashville airport. There is another new Englander who now lives in Kville and you might get a reply from her if you post this in the real estate and/or TN forums.
she has posted on several other forums about suggestions. I am sure she will continue to investigate all possibilities. Her biggest problem still might be housing affordability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers