Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Fayetteville, being a college town as pointed out is probably a little more versital than some areas and accept people for what they are. In your post you asked if you should keep your views to yourself? Being a non beleiver as you say you are, if you choose to publicize this, yes, you are thowing yourself open for lots of discussions, some you may want to avoid. As I said, Fayetteville would be a little more open. From what I have heard and seen, even being a part of a religion that isn't fundamentalist is not always accepted.

Our granddaughter, a senior at Ark has seen some of this even from her finance's family. She beleives in a spiritual being and considers herself a Christian but doesn't belong to any religious group. This hasn't been easy for her. At least her finace shares her views.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
I don't know why someone would throw open their religious views to the commentary of strangers. If you are just moving to a place, who do you intend to share you views with? Will people invite you to their church? Yes, they're just trying to be friendly, and also to find out what kind of person you are. Be a polite person and politely turn them down. A lot of people in Northwest Arkansas don't attend church regularly. Will religious topics sometimes come up? You bet, the churches in Northwest Arkansas are part of the social fabric of the area. Abortion, gay marriage, conservative values are hot political topics across this country, and people debate them. It's up to you to decide how open you want to be about your opinions and who you will choose to share them with. I let people know when they offend me. But I don't walk into a Baptist church and announce that I'm pro-choice.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know why someone would throw open their religious views to the commentary of strangers. If you are just moving to a place, who do you intend to share you views with? Will people invite you to their church? Yes, they're just trying to be friendly, and also to find out what kind of person you are. Be a polite person and politely turn them down. A lot of people in Northwest Arkansas don't attend church regularly. Will religious topics sometimes come up? You bet, the churches in Northwest Arkansas are part of the social fabric of the area. Abortion, gay marriage, conservative values are hot political topics across this country, and people debate them. It's up to you to decide how open you want to be about your opinions and who you will choose to share them with. I let people know when they offend me. But I don't walk into a Baptist church and announce that I'm pro-choice.

LOL, come on, be an instigator!! JK!!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
It's one thing to be instigator on-line and anonymously, and another to face a roomful of fire and brimstone!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,890 times
I think NWA as a whole is an extremely relgious area, but after thinking about it I can't recall a single time that I had someone try to push their religion/church on me . Either it's becasue I live/work in Fayetteville or am just lucky.

Despite the fact that there are a few churches here with MASSIVE followings- The people I deal with as neighbors, other parents, co workers, social groups, etc hold a VERY wide aray of religious beliefs and apparently we all realize and respect this, because it RARELYcomes up.The only time I have ever heard it discuss in a public setting is was handled very gentley and we left it at Christian/other.

On my street for example there are 3 Epsicopalian families (including myself), 2 methodists, 1 muslim,1 atheists and the rest are "others". Not what you would guess if you went on billboards alone.

I guess my point is - yes, overall this is a religious part of the country but I am not bombarded by the overzealous or ultra conservative types, like you would suspect. At least not in "the ville". If you are seeking these churches an groups they will be plentiful, but I would'nt want anyone to steer clear of NWA thinking everyone would rush to save their soul!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I wish I could have said it as well as you did. That was my intent. If anyone, no matter where you live makes their views to widely known, especially if they are views that are not mainstream I believe they are throwing themselves into what could become a very uncomfortable situation. This doesn't mean views can not be shared at the right time and in the right place.

Nita

Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I think NWA as a whole is an extremely relgious area, but after thinking about it I can't recall a single time that I had someone try to push their religion/church on me . Either it's becasue I live/work in Fayetteville or am just lucky.

Despite the fact that there are a few churches here with MASSIVE followings- The people I deal with as neighbors, other parents, co workers, social groups, etc hold a VERY wide aray of religious beliefs and apparently we all realize and respect this, because it RARELYcomes up.The only time I have ever heard it discuss in a public setting is was handled very gentley and we left it at Christian/other.

On my street for example there are 3 Epsicopalian families (including myself), 2 methodists, 1 muslim,1 atheists and the rest are "others". Not what you would guess if you went on billboards alone.

I guess my point is - yes, overall this is a religious part of the country but I am not bombarded by the overzealous or ultra conservative types, like you would suspect. At least not in "the ville". If you are seeking these churches an groups they will be plentiful, but I would'nt want anyone to steer clear of NWA thinking everyone would rush to save their soul!
Hay, if I were moving to your block we would be the 4th Episcoplian family but we are moving to BV. Oh well. LOL

Old 04-11-2008, 03:40 PM

14 posts, read 41,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I dont think you will find NWA any more gung ho religiously than Medina-Humboldt-Bradford or Trenton. Must be a culture shock going from Medina to Memphis

It was! I thought I was ready, because a lot of friends and family always lived here and we visited them a lot. For a few years it seemed like we spent every other weekend and a few weeks of summer here.
But I went to campus all friendly and smiling at strangers, trying to spark up conversations with random people. I stopped pretty soon. It only took a few weeks for me to give up on that, with all the "are you nuts?" looks I got.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:52 PM

14 posts, read 41,719 times
Quote:

I was just asking....
I plan to move there, so I just want to have some idea of what to expect.
I have no plans to walk up and announce my views to random strangers (because why would they care?), but sometimes the subject does come up. And I have no problem with people politely inviting me to church. I'm glad to know that's probably the most I'll encounter. That's what I was hoping for, cause I'm used to that.
I mean, I've never heard of any big discrimination cases in AR, but they could exist anyway. In some towns kids get suspended for things like opting out of praying with their team. I would prefer to know if I'm moving to a town where that kind of thing ever happens. It would definately impact my decision to move there.
That's all.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:57 AM

90 posts, read 352,867 times
Well, I moved to NWA from Florida a few years ago and now live in Bentonville. I am an Atheist and I must say that I have not been approached or bothered by "religious" people at all. I have had the common knocks at the front door offering pamphlets but I politely turn them down and they are on their way. Back in Florida I avoided opening the door and tried to act like no one was home because if you acknowledged them, you would spend 20 minutes listening to their speech. They would not take no for an answer and sometimes I would have to be rude and slam doors. But its the opposite here. They dont bother you much at all. I dont advertise my beliefs and I dont push them on others either. So I appreciate when they dont push them on me. But I think for a southern area, NWA is not too bad if you dont want to be bothered with religion. I havent even had many people ask me to come to their church at all. One lady at work asked me what church I went to and I told her I dont. She got a strange look on her face but never asked me again. And I work at a Catholic Hospital!!

My fiancee and myself share the same beliefs and we both agree you wont have any problems here. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers