Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,371 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. First time posting here.

After months of research and visiting the area, my husband and I will be moving to Bentonville in a few months. We're both from California. There's a California exodus going on. All around me, I'm hearing friends, family, and strangers picking up and moving out of California due to high rent, taxes, traffic, and homelessness.

A lot of people are moving to Boise, Idaho. Originally that was our first choice too, but that place has exploded in the past few years and now rent and home prices are getting almost as bad as places in California. I think the HGTV show Boise Boys really put Boise in the spotlight and now 3 years later it's a giant boom town.

So we had to look for a different option, and we stumbled upon Bentonville. We liked it because of the safety, beauty, the low cost of living, the nearby university, the shopping in Rogers, and the new Walmart campus that they're building. It's showing signs of a lot of growth. When we went there, everyone we spoke to said the same thing. We spoke to a realtor that said we were the 3rd Californian couple she had seen that DAY. It's very similar to the way Boise seemed before it exploded. And what do you know... HGTV read our minds and created Fixer to Fabulous, a show based in Bentonville.

We absolutely loved our time there, but we have this worry that one day it'll turn into just another California.

So with all that said, do you think that Bentonville might become the next boom town? And do you think this is a good or a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
I sure as hell hope not, I left CO after being overrun by California dirtballs, don't want to go through that again.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I sure as hell hope not, I left CO after being overrun by California dirtballs, don't want to go through that again.
We have something in common. Wife and I are headed your way tomorrow from Colorado to see if NWA is a place we may wanted t to move to as we have grown tired of the influx of people from certain places and the mindset they bring with them. BV was a place we were considering until they decided the other day that they would put the fee increase back up for a vote. What kind of crud is that, you lost, find a wall to work with what you have, the people have spoken,

Old 11-22-2019, 10:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabman View Post
. BV was a place we were considering until they decided the other day that they would put the fee increase back up for a vote. What kind of crud is that, you lost, find a wall to work with what you have, the people have spoken,
Bella Vista (BV) and Bentonville, altho geographically near each other, are two entirely different places.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I can't imagine you not liking someone.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:05 PM

33 posts, read 38,360 times
Once Californians set their beady gaze on an area, in conjunction with the media choosing an area as the next location darling, that location's days as being affordable are numbered. Unfortunately, since CA is bigger than most countries, this process is far from over. Pretty soon, we will all be California. If ya'll could stop moving to places that I'm thinking of moving to and making them unaffordable, that'd be greeeeaaat.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitybobbit View Post
Hi everyone. First time posting here.

After months of research and visiting the area, my husband and I will be moving to Bentonville in a few months. We're both from California. There's a California exodus going on. All around me, I'm hearing friends, family, and strangers picking up and moving out of California due to high rent, taxes, traffic, and homelessness.

A lot of people are moving to Boise, Idaho. Originally that was our first choice too, but that place has exploded in the past few years and now rent and home prices are getting almost as bad as places in California. I think the HGTV show Boise Boys really put Boise in the spotlight and now 3 years later it's a giant boom town.

So we had to look for a different option, and we stumbled upon Bentonville. We liked it because of the safety, beauty, the low cost of living, the nearby university, the shopping in Rogers, and the new Walmart campus that they're building. It's showing signs of a lot of growth. When we went there, everyone we spoke to said the same thing. We spoke to a realtor that said we were the 3rd Californian couple she had seen that DAY. It's very similar to the way Boise seemed before it exploded. And what do you know... HGTV read our minds and created Fixer to Fabulous, a show based in Bentonville.

We absolutely loved our time there, but we have this worry that one day it'll turn into just another California.

So with all that said, do you think that Bentonville might become the next boom town? And do you think this is a good or a bad thing?
All of NWA is booming or pretty much so, but there is a lot of land here that is totally or almost totally undeveloped so it would be years before we have to worry about too much, too fast. I will add, yes, there are a lot of people coming here from CA. In fact we are from CA, but we moved here from ABQ so can't say we really left Ca for here. I can add, as people on this forum know, we have never been happier with anyplace we have lived than we are here. Much of our family has followed up; we all feel the same way. Just don't try to push CA life style down our throats

Old 11-23-2019, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabman View Post
We have something in common. Wife and I are headed your way tomorrow from Colorado to see if NWA is a place we may wanted t to move to as we have grown tired of the influx of people from certain places and the mindset they bring with them. BV was a place we were considering until they decided the other day that they would put the fee increase back up for a vote. What kind of crud is that, you lost, find a wall to work with what you have, the people have spoken,
Completely understand how you feel but there is a reason they did this: one: actually the assessment increase did get more yes than no votes and the one issue that concerned many, was the increase for undeveloped property. Those owning lots that they have never used were also getting an increase. They were the people that voted NO. This practice is now being changed: those who do own undeveloped land will not get an increase. This makes good sense. The board is not simply going to re-open the voting cause they did not like the outcome. It goes a it deeper than that.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:12 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I can't imagine you not liking someone.
Funny.
I could gauge the California stampede into CO by the rudeness of drivers increasing each year. Pretty accurate gauge, actually.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 12,371 times
Let’s not turn this into a “bash Californians” thread and instead talk about growth overall? I only bring up Californians in my original post as an example since I am from there myself and that was my experience with it. People in general move other places to create better lives for themselves and their family. Not to purposefully destroy the place they move to.

Let’s keep this topic productive. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers