Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:47 PM

425 posts, read 505,663 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to start arguments here. Just trying to get opinions on what you love or hate about Bella Vista Arkansas.

I'll list my experiences and opinions in a love/hate order: (gonna be a rather long post..)

My wife and I own 3 houses in Bella Vista. One is being sold (her old house, we recently married), one we are living in now , and another one we just bought to remodel and move into in a few months.

What we love:

- The hills and valleys.
- The trees, creeks and springs
- The wooded common areas surrounding most all the houses. Gives some sense of privacy, and doesn't feel like you are in a huge subdivision
- Home prices: Even though rising, are lower than Bentonville and most other surrounding areas
- The lakes (even though we don't use them much)
- The walking trails
- Golf, we like the idea, but haven't golfed in years. Hope to again one day.
- Overall, BV feels like we are on vacation all the time, at a vacation home.
- Very convenient to shopping and restaurants, but far enough away as to not be in urban sprawl.

What we hate (don't like, and frustrations). The dislikes will be a longer post b/c each have a story and need explaining, but the likes DO outweigh the dislikes, or we wouldn't be living here.

- Bureaucracy between all the Bella Vista controlling authorities (City, POA, ACC and Cooper). Sometimes it is frustrating to get things done b/c you are sent around in circles. One time I looked into purchasing the vacant lot adjacent to me. The owner was willing to sell. I wanted to possibly reroute my driveway through this lot to give extra parking. Before making the purchase I needed to find out if there were any restrictions. I started at the POA office. POA sent me to the ACC office. ACC office sent me back to POA office. POA office sent me to the BV road department. BV road department sent me back to the POA. POA sent me back to the ACC. The ACC sent me to Cooper. Cooper told me they have a 7 foot easement through all property lines and I would have to file paperwork to obtain an "easement relief" in order to put a paved driveway over "their" easement. They wanted me to pay a fee ($200 I think) for the process, but said they could not guarantee I would be approved and would lose the processing fee, approved or not. They said they would consider drainage issues and a number of factors in their decision. I asked if I could get someone to just come out and look at the properties to see if I had a chance for approval. But that was not an option. I decided not to purchase the lot and pursue the extra driveway. Maybe I will have the energy in the future to go around the circle again. I have a few more examples of the Bureaucracy, some pretty funny. But this post is getting too long. Maybe later.

- RVs, Boats etc. must be hidden (completely out of sight): Come on! Most POA's require you to park your RV or boat in the back yard, beyond the corner of the house, I get that. But POA rules (or maybe ACC rules) in Bella Vista require the RV or boat to be completely HIDDEN from sight. So to get around the requirement, many people put up big ugly 8-foot fences or an ugly privacy screen of some sorts. Many times the solution ends up looking worse than the RV or boat. Take a drive around BV one weekend and look at all the solutions people have come up with, some are laughable. I don't want folks to have dilapidated junk in their yards, but come on.. it is not unsightly for a family RV or pontoon boat to be parked in the back yard of a house. Now granted not many folks in BV have back yards suitable to park an RV or boat, but it should be there choice to do so if they are able.
Currently at the house we are remodeling, I have (had) an enclosed trailer sitting in the driveway, on and off for a couple weeks, using it to haul off carpet, old cabinets, etc. I received a letter from the ACC. Enclosed in the letter was a picture of my trailer with a warning to move it, explaining to me it was not allowed to be parked in the driveway over 7-days. Pardon me ACC for attempting to remodel my house, adding value to BV and the community. I now have a golf cart trailer sitting out in the driveway and using it to haul off the construction material. I let it get full, haul it off and then bring it back. So now instead of a very nice enclosed trailer sitting out in the driveway, hiding the construction debris, I have a small open trailer sitting full of debris, exposed to everyone. From what I read, the POA (or ACC?) allows golf cart trailers to be in the driveway or anywhere in the yard. But now I'm waiting for any one of the controlling authorities (POA, ACC, City, COOPER, or ?) to send me a letter telling me I'm not allowed to have anything 'inside' said golf cart trailer. I'm sure it's coming.

- What's up with BV having a 24" (inch) "right of way" next to every street? Meaning at the end of every driveway in BV, you are NOT allowed to use concrete! You must use only asphalt or gravel. I bought my house a few years ago and noticed the asphalt at the end of the driveway starting to break-up. A couple years later it was getting much worse. I called a concrete guy out to fix it. I found out BV owns the last 24" of my driveway, and they will not allow concrete there. I called BV (ran the circle again, POA, ACC, city Road dept, Cooper) and learned they have the legal right of way, but they don't maintain it, and they do not fix it when it breaks up. The property owner must foot the bill to apply asphalt (not concrete) to a section of 'their' driveway the POA evidently owns. In further inquiry with the POA I was told BV reserves the right-of-ways for future utilities, such as sewer lines. So then I inquired.. if the POA comes through and rips up my newly laid asphalt, will they put it back? No one would give me a straight answer on that one. Last year I paid $1000 to have the end of my (or BVs) driveway dug out and re-laid in asphalt. So if one day they decide to tear it up, evidently they can do it legally and not put it back. ALL modern day subdivisions and even older ones allow driveways to go all the way to the road. And if for some reason they need to bring a sewer or water line down the edge of the road, they use a machine to tunnel under the driveway (much cheaper than tearing up and replacing driveways, but I guess if they force the homeowners to fix 'their' right of way, they can come out cheaper)

- Sewer system: Horrible system. Sewer collected in waste drums, partially buried next to people's houses. A macerator pumps waste from the barrel into small diameter lines, forcing the waste into public lines (also small diameter). The entire system relies on power and pumps to operate. My wife's old house (the one we are selling) is on sewer. It has gone through 2 pumps and a cracked ground line all within a 2 year period. Her neighbor has had issues with his pump as well, and at one point having raw sewage bubbling up next to collection barrel. We also had raw sewage come up when we had the broken line. Other people that I know and work with have had issue after issue with their sewer system here in BV. However despite all of the issues, I hear the POA is plowing ahead with expanding the sewer system. Why? It can't be any more sanitary than septic systems. At least septic systems do not seem to be spilling raw sewage at the rate I have seen with the sewer system. A properly designed septic system will hardly ever give any issues. Does the POA make money from the sewer system? If so, that would explain a lot. All new homes, and any home that changes ownership must connect to the sewer system in BV (if sewer is available at the road).

- Water system: The POA controls the water in all of BV, the entire system! This should be a city function. I think the POA controls the water for ONE reason... to use as enforcement to ensure everyone pays POA dues. The POA states clearly the they will cut your water off if you fail to make your POA payments. This should be illegal (and it might be). I'm sure one day BV will face a lawsuit over this type enforcement, it's just plain wrong. I pay my POA dues by the year, so losing my water to lack of POA dues is not a concern to me, however if they will turn your water off for not paying your POA dues, then can (or will they) turn my water off b/c I refuse to move an RV from my yard? Or a trailer from my driveway? Or b/c I paint my house an unapproved color? Use the wrong color shingles? Grass too tall? Where does it end? The POA has NO right using the power of water meters to enforce anything! (other than failure to pay the water bill). It's nonsense and again, it just plain wrong.
And while we are talking about the water... A couple years ago I went to the POA to pay my water bill. At that time I attempted to get my bill auto-drafted from my checking account. The POA rep told me I needed to put a blank check "on-file". I explained I do not have checks (have not used them in years). I told them I knew my account numbers and could just give it to them. They would not allow that, said it was their "policy" to have the blank check "on-file". I proceeded to talk to several people, who all told me the same thing. When, since the 1980's, does anyone require a "blank check" to be kept "on-file" for auto draft purposes! Heck, I can go online to pretty much any utility or website and enter my banking info to have auto draft set up. (maybe they have changed this rule over the last couple of years, but I doubt it).

POA dues: Overall, I'm fine with them and the increase. However I do not like the fact that $2 of the increase is going to pay for the Trafalgar fire. BUT, sense we do have to pay for it as part of the increase, then once it is paid for, that extra $2 should fall off and our dues reduced by the same amount. Currently, after the fire is paid for, the extra money goes in "reserves". I do not like the idea of "reserves" when there has been no real explanation of what that money will one day be used for. My fear is that it will breed further bureaucracy via new employees and even more "enforcement".

Well... That's the end of my rant for now. I have more I could discuss, but I'm close to
2000 words in this post, and if you are still reading, you are either very board, or very interested, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:49 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
I have more I could discuss, but I'm close to
2000 words in this post, and if you are still reading, you are either very board, or very interested, or both.
I myself was very bored......sitting here at work in the middle of the night (I'm a 3rd shifter), but fret not - I'm always on the lookout for an interesting take on anything Arkansas and found your post not only interesting, but informative. You should receive plenty of dialogue for your efforts.....there are a few Bella Vista regulars in here and many others who will also offer opinions of substance.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:02 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
BV is a beautiful place. We were there a few years ago to check it out for a possible move but ended up in Branson.
It seems your cons outweigh your pros. Have you thought of relocating somewhere else?

Old 05-14-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
BV is a beautiful place. We were there a few years ago to check it out for a possible move but ended up in Branson.
It seems your cons outweigh your pros. Have you thought of relocating somewhere else?
Branson is a beautiful area as well. I love the Table Rock area too. My cons do not outweigh the pros. I stated that toward the beginning of the post. We love Bella Vista. But there are some frustration points to consider as well, and nothing wrong with having a discussion about them.
Have we thought about relocating somewhere else? Of course not. As stated clearly in the post, we just bought another house here in BV to remodel and move into. We plan to be here for many years to come.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Well as most of you know I am a true BV loyalist and could run the chamber all by myself. I too found the OPs post interesting but a little over dramatic and perhaps more negative than necessary.

As for the sewer system, that is almost funny as 2/3 or more of us are not even on sewers and those who are, I have never heard one of them complain about it.

The requirements for RVs and boats being enclosed is true and yet, we can drive anywhere in town and see them not totally enclosed and covered. Yes POA and the governing bodies have too much control.

The $2 of our increase going to the stump dump nightmare is a shame and yet, I understand why this is.

For us the positives here way outweigh the negatives: peace and quiet are at the top of the list:
most friendly people in the world live here.
The mixture of rural and urban gives us everything we could ask for.
There is much to do here, from just playing cards with a card group, to fishing groups, golf, water activities, volunteer work, hiking and walking on the wonderful trails, all kinds of classes offered. /but what is missing is
a few more restaurants: now with Duffers shutting down we even have fewer options. WE need a coffee shop somewhere around town center and something up in the highlands for starters.

Of course I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for the sewer system, that is almost funny as 2/3 or more of us are not even on sewers and those who are, I have never heard one of them complain about it.
Really? The sewer system has been an issue with many folks here. In fact, the POA has had so many issues with the pumps, I hear they are starting to switch them out with another model (paid for by the home owner). The sewer issues are well documented. I was lucky that the house we just bought to remodel did not have sewer available at the road, so we get to keep the septic tank. I say turn the sewer system over to the city, as well as the water. Let the city focus on utilities and the POA focus on member services and benefits.

Sorry my post was over dramatic to you. But I do not think it was "more negative" than necessary. I simply told true stories of my observations and experiences - some frustrating and some funny.

We love Bella Vista and happy we live here. I could have also written a much longer post describing the likes and pros, but trees, creeks, springs, lakes, etc. sort of speak for themselves.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:01 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Quote:
Branson is a beautiful area as well. I love the Table Rock area too. My cons do not outweigh the pros. I stated that toward the beginning of the post. We love Bella Vista. But there are some frustration points to consider as well, and nothing wrong with having a discussion about them.
Have we thought about relocating somewhere else? Of course not. As stated clearly in the post, we just bought another house here in BV to remodel and move into. We plan to be here for many years to come.
It seems as I read your post that the cons outweigh the pros. Just because you bought another house doesn't mean you have to be there for good. Selling is always an option.
If you like BV, that's great but your post to me says the cons are more than the pros. That's why I said what I said.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:36 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
We love Bella Vista and happy we live here. I could have also written a much longer post describing the likes and pros, but trees, creeks, springs, lakes, etc. sort of speak for themselves. - by VCVS

I found his pros and cons post very interesting. As we are planning to move to Bella Vista it was good to read and good to know. It didn't deter me from leaving California, but it will help to move with eyes wide open. I hope he will post again and I'm waiting for more.

By the way, I could write a pros and cons post about all the places I lived in the last 73 years and members would chew me up for mud slinging. Nothing wrong with that, I state my opinion, and you state your own. That is why I love City Data.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We love Bella Vista and happy we live here. I could have also written a much longer post describing the likes and pros, but trees, creeks, springs, lakes, etc. sort of speak for themselves. - by VCVS

I found his pros and cons post very interesting. As we are planning to move to Bella Vista it was good to read and good to know. It didn't deter me from leaving California, but it will help to move with eyes wide open. I hope he will post again and I'm waiting for more.

By the way, I could write a pros and cons post about all the places I lived in the last 73 years and members would chew me up for mud slinging. Nothing wrong with that, I state my opinion, and you state your own. That is why I love City Data.
Good post and yes,we could all write lists of pros and cons of all the places we have lived. No place is utopia and no place is Hell on earth. Or if there is one we haven't found it and we have lived all over the country.

When we decided to relocate and look for our forever home City Data was so much help. It was our granddaughter that suggested we look here, but we had already considered AR, as well as a few other surrounding states. City data is a great place to get objective information as long as we all realize everyone has a different take on issues and places just like they do on food, clothing, etc.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Really? The sewer system has been an issue with many folks here. In fact, the POA has had so many issues with the pumps, I hear they are starting to switch them out with another model (paid for by the home owner). The sewer issues are well documented. I was lucky that the house we just bought to remodel did not have sewer available at the road, so we get to keep the septic tank. I say turn the sewer system over to the city, as well as the water. Let the city focus on utilities and the POA focus on member services and benefits.

Sorry my post was over dramatic to you. But I do not think it was "more negative" than necessary. I simply told true stories of my observations and experiences - some frustrating and some funny.

We love Bella Vista and happy we live here. I could have also written a much longer post describing the likes and pros, but trees, creeks, springs, lakes, etc. sort of speak for themselves.
Again, as I have often said before, we all have our own ideas and based on those I know with sewers and without it doesn't seem like there are many who have had issues. Now, I have to admit, it isn't a topic that we sit around during happy hour or after church discussing, so I have no concrete information. Apparently you do know more about the issues than I do. This is one of the reasons City data exists, we can discuss and debate topics all day and get different sides of each story based on personal experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers