Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:09 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times

Advertisements

I see Sub is at it again, spreading false information due to some personal grudge against Little Rock or wherever Sub lived...

I live in Fayetteville, and I'm trying to figure out what part of the city he or she is referring to where "sidewalks are an afterthought".

That's just not true. Apart from a very few areas developed in the 60s and 70s (and most of those have been retrofitted with sidewalks), the sidewalk system in Fayetteville is as complete as most cities I've ever been to. The only standout exception is parts of College Ave, between North St and Rolling Hills, and most of that area has sidewalks, too.

Every part of Fayetteville, apart from some connections on the far (extreme) west side have access to the city's trail network. It's impressive. The trail network here puts DALLAS and AUSTIN to shame, and this is a small city. That in and of itself makes Fayetteville extremely pedestrian-friendly. The city is well on its way to its stated goal of having a paved trail within 1/4 mile of every home in the city.

Public transit isn't widely available, but alternatives to owning a car are readily available in Fayetteville. "Active transportation" (walking and cycling) are easy and well-supported by city policy and the community at large.

Also, it is mid May, and highs are in the 70s and right now it's in the 50s. Yes, we have hot summers, but so does about 80% of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I see Sub is at it again, spreading false information due to some personal grudge against Little Rock or wherever Sub lived...

I live in Fayetteville, and I'm trying to figure out what part of the city he or she is referring to where "sidewalks are an afterthought".

That's just not true. Apart from a very few areas developed in the 60s and 70s (and most of those have been retrofitted with sidewalks), the sidewalk system in Fayetteville is as complete as most cities I've ever been to. The only standout exception is parts of College Ave, between North St and Rolling Hills, and most of that area has sidewalks, too.

Every part of Fayetteville, apart from some connections on the far (extreme) west side have access to the city's trail network. It's impressive. The trail network here puts DALLAS and AUSTIN to shame, and this is a small city. That in and of itself makes Fayetteville extremely pedestrian-friendly. The city is well on its way to its stated goal of having a paved trail within 1/4 mile of every home in the city.

Public transit isn't widely available, but alternatives to owning a car are readily available in Fayetteville. "Active transportation" (walking and cycling) are easy and well-supported by city policy and the community at large.

Also, it is mid May, and highs are in the 70s and right now it's in the 50s. Yes, we have hot summers, but so does about 80% of the country.

I've lived in a few places around Arkansas. Liked Little Rock the best. It's a quirky town, but no grudge.
What I'm comparing the sidewalks to are places that have them on literally every. single. street. on both sides of virtually every street, almost always set back a few feet from the street for an extra dose of safety.

It's good that they're working on the trails. Seriously. I like bikes and people using them for transportation as much as anybody. Places that are doing more to encourage that are doing a good thing.
I've never associated Dallas or Austin with cycling. Portland, Boulder, Chicago, sure.

Good public transit is imperative to living in any sizable place without a car. Until you have that, I simply can't recommend living without a car for any length of time. A person can choose to live in very specific spots and not expect to get out much. Of course they'll survive, but that's not something I'd want to sell a city on.
As I said, these aren't insults just observations based on how I see it.

As for temps, you've hit 80+ several times this year and had a day in the 90's. Also, I said muggy, and in that part of the country, that means that 70's can often be less than pleasant for just walking around. Some people don't think much of it, others find it stifling. Just depends on what your threshold is.

Last edited by sub; 05-21-2020 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I've lived in a few places around Arkansas. Liked Little Rock the best. It's a quirky town, but no grudge.
What I'm comparing the sidewalks to are places that have them on literally every. single. street. on both sides of virtually every street, almost always set back a few feet from the street for an extra dose of safety.

It's good that they're working on the trails. Seriously. I like bikes and people using them for transportation as much as anybody. Places that are doing more to encourage that are doing a good thing.
I've never associated Dallas or Austin with cycling. Portland, Boulder, Chicago, sure.

Good public transit is imperative to living in any sizable place without a car. Until you have that, I simply can't recommend living without a car for any length of time. A person can choose to live in very specific spots and not expect to get out much. Of course they'll survive, but that's not something I'd want to sell a city on.
As I said, these aren't insults just observations based on how I see it.

As for temps, you've hit 80+ several times this year and had a day in the 90's. Also, I said muggy, and in that part of the country, that means that 70's can often be less than pleasant for just walking around. Some people don't think much of it, others find it stifling. Just depends on what your threshold is.
Sorry Sub. I would love to know your definition of several? We have hardly come close to several days of 80 plus this year. In fact it has been a pretty cool spring and most of us are ready for both sunshine and warmer temps.
a bunch of us were just out last night. We were all complaining about how much we wanted to see spring get here before summer pops up. Now, for the next week or so, we are expecting 80s with more rain. We had barely had the heat off, I have not heard one person say a word about high temps and most of us are just starting to wear short sleeves on a regular basis.

No one on CD can quite figure out what it is about AR, especially NWA that you dislike so much, but you are very biased.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:23 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry Sub. I would love to know your definition of several? We have hardly come close to several days of 80 plus this year. In fact it has been a pretty cool spring and most of us are ready for both sunshine and warmer temps.
a bunch of us were just out last night. We were all complaining about how much we wanted to see spring get here before summer pops up. Now, for the next week or so, we are expecting 80s with more rain. We had barely had the heat off, I have not heard one person say a word about high temps and most of us are just starting to wear short sleeves on a regular basis.

No one on CD can quite figure out what it is about AR, especially NWA that you dislike so much, but you are very biased.
I just call it like I see it when comparing to other places I've lived or am familiar with.

There have been 9 days of 80°+ which is more than a few. Perhaps 'some' is a better word.
You hit 90° in early April, which isn't unheard of.
We can debate whether or not 75° is comfortable depending on dew points.
My original post said "muggy", not "hot" for the context of "would I want to live very long without a car there?" To which the answer is simply, "no".

Old 05-23-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
I just call it like I see it when comparing to other places I've lived or am familiar with.

There have been 9 days of 80°+ which is more than a few. Perhaps 'some' is a better word.
You hit 90° in early April, which isn't unheard of.
We can debate whether or not 75° is comfortable depending on dew points.
My original post said "muggy", not "hot" for the context of "would I want to live very long without a car there?" To which the answer is simply, "no".
No one is questioning whether it would be easy to live in Fayetteville without a car. I think almost everyone agrees it would not be easy or advisable. But the temp has little to do with that.

As for warm days, you are so typical of those who take things out of context or only want to push the negatives: you don't mention the number of days and nights in May that have been colder than normal. WE have had so many I would even bother to list them, especially days where the high has been much colder than normal. If anyone can actually say the NWA weather is less desirable than most of the south, they have a strange idea of desirable.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 AM
sub

Quote:
No one is questioning whether it would be easy to live in Fayetteville without a car. I think almost everyone agrees it would not be easy or advisable. But the temp has little to do with that.

As for warm days, you are so typical of those who take things out of context or only want to push the negatives: you don't mention the number of days and nights in May that have been colder than normal. WE have had so many I would even bother to list them, especially days where the high has been much colder than normal. If anyone can actually say the NWA weather is less desirable than most of the south, they have a strange idea of desirable.
Yes, someone actually has suggested it would be reasonable to live without a car in Fayetteville.
No, the temp may not have that much to do with it, but there are not a lot of good transit options in the area, so a person would be exposed to the elements quite a bit or relying a lot on things like Uber or Lyft. That would probably get old pretty quick for most people.
The reason weather has been talked about is because bicycling has been mentioned as one of the primary ways to get around without a car.
All I said is that it would be muggy. If that's dwelling on the negative, so be it.
I'm not trying to convince the OP one way or the other to live there, just strongly recommending a car if they do. Regardless of whether they like the weather or not, the options are still fairly limited.
If the OP still decides to move there without a car and likes it in spite of what some of us would consider a less than ideal situation, good for them.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, someone actually has suggested it would be reasonable to live without a car in Fayetteville.
No, the temp may not have that much to do with it, but there are not a lot of good transit options in the area, so a person would be exposed to the elements quite a bit or relying a lot on things like Uber or Lyft. That would probably get old pretty quick for most people.
The reason weather has been talked about is because bicycling has been mentioned as one of the primary ways to get around without a car.
All I said is that it would be muggy. If that's dwelling on the negative, so be it.
I'm not trying to convince the OP one way or the other to live there, just strongly recommending a car if they do. Regardless of whether they like the weather or not, the options are still fairly limited.
If the OP still decides to move there without a car and likes it in spite of what some of us would consider a less than ideal situation, good for them.
Oh sub this is my last word on this subject, but I have to throw this in: you are trying to convince anyone to not move to Fayetteville but you do have a way of always or 99% of the time knocking almost everyplace in AR, especially NWA. It is hard to understand your motive as I doubt you are convincing anyone you views are objective and without malice.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 AM
sub

Quote:
Oh sub this is my last word on this subject, but I have to throw this in: you are trying to convince anyone to not move to Fayetteville but you do have a way of always or 99% of the time knocking almost everyplace in AR, especially NWA. It is hard to understand your motive as I doubt you are convincing anyone you views are objective and without malice.
I just call it like I see it. No malice intended.

Last edited by sub; 05-23-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 03:21 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times
Quote:
I just call it like I see it. No malice intended.
Nah, you make stuff up, always for negative impact.

You're often dishonest, and you don't live here.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:21 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Nah, you make stuff up, always for negative impact.

You're often dishonest, and you don't live here.
What have I made up? I just call it as I see it.
I try to keep my facts straight, though no doubt may have been wrong once or twice. Otherwise, the overwhelming majority of what gets posted on threads like this are everyone’s opinions. In this instance, what it means to live without a car.
To which I say good luck with that, but you may say “sure it can be done”.
See? Opinions. That’s all they are. Nothing to get worked up about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers