Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:34 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
If you even bothered to research any ‘facts’ or logic, you would learn the OP is a female, and not a male. And your analogy regarding driving on the wrong side of the road is pathetic. This is America. We all know what side of the road to drive on. And that is exactly the reason most of us refuse to wear a mask.

But the govt DEMANDS you drive on right side of road. I thought OP couldnt stand govt telling people to do anything. Isnt it her right and personal freedom to drive on the left or up the middle? Same difference with mask, govt is just doing its job. Everybody wears a mask and keeps six foot from each other and its for everybody's benefit. Same way following traffic rules. Half people wearing mask and doing group hugs, it just doesnt work, just like half people driving on left side of road doesnt work. The masks dont protect you, they keep you from infecting others. If everybody wears a mask and does best to keep away from each other, lot less chance of anybody getting infected. Still need lot tests and contact tracing which is still not up to speed though better than when USA got caught flat footed couple two or three month ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 10:55 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Fayetteville passes a law, forcing everyone to wear a mask, then supplies said mask to business owners? Forgive me if I’m not impressed. The whole thing is a sham. It’s Fayetteville’s city counsel towing the line, hoping to get recognition from the radical left. And your statement about the “National Government” not being ahead of the virus.. what exactly do you mean by that? Are you saying the ‘Federal Government’ should have somehow predicted the virus and sent ‘mask’ out to every city in the USA?
I’m going to call all of this just how I see it.. The radical left is determined to destroy the economy, and keep people at home, keeping business closed is the best way to do it. You are drinking the koolaid with all this “everyone must wear a mask” rhetoric. Wearing a mask will not and does not prevent the spread of Covid-19. But I’m sure you will watch CNN or MSNBC and get more talking points. In the meantime the majority of America will continue life as normal.

Trump was informed in January maybe earlier by intelligence agencies of the virus. He sat on his hands. No preparations whatsoever. No ramping up PPE FOR MEDICAL PERSONNEL, no checking on stock of ventilators and arranging for more instead of states having to bid against each other for them, no arranging for mega amount tests needed, no arranging an army of people to do contact tracing. He saw what was happening in China and South Korea, and in Europe, still nothing. Some guy in Congress was briefed and his main objective was to protect his assets from the obvious stock market reaction. Didnt give a fig about the rabble that elected him.

Masks are not the main way to deal with the virus, TESTING TESTING TESTING plus contact tracing is what works in those countries that have NO CASES OF VIRUS IN THEIR COUNTRY. USA and Brazil are now competing neck and neck for most active cases. There are NO cases in the countries I mentioned. SK similar though they have some new cases from travelers.

This was something that needed to be handled by FEDERAL govt. The small cities cant do a lot, especially when the state governments keep them from implementing anything more than state is doing. The prez and congress is dysfunctional and doesnt give a rats behind. The governor is obviously most worried about wealth over health. So it goes.

Oh by the way when 20% of people are out of work, the economy doesnt bounce back like President Trumps fantasy. It just doesnt work that way. Its like turning an aircraft carrier out in ocean. It takes a LOT of ocean and time to do it. At this point getting virus under control should be first objective. Damage to economy already done, throwing away that sacrifice so you can get a haircut is kinda stupid.

But hey maybe if its all a hoax as you believe, you should book that cruise to Rio. Probably get a real deal. Hear its nice there this time of year. Can watch all the mass graves being dug. Yea they got them one of those genius presidents too.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I did hear on news this morning that Fayetteville is going to provide masks to businesses starting Monday. So if you dont have a mask but want to shop in the store you get a free mask.... This is first I have heard of anybody doing this. It seemed strange that masks only sold online. You never see them in brick and mortar stores, least not ones I go to.

Its still mystery for me that our national govt is so dysfunctional as to not have made sure there were plenty masks and testing and such BEFORE virus ramped up here. They had plenty of warning. Frequent wide scale testing plus contact tracing is how countries such as Vietnam and New Zealand and Taiwan and Iceland have kept it under control. Only new cases in those countries are from outside travelers. Course bigger the country, the more problems. China is having second wave, most likely from travelers. Everybody buys everything from China so of course it gets lot travelers. USA has lot travelers too so even if leaders were on the ball there would be glitches just like China.
The place where I get my nails done in SW MO also provides masks. It is probably a good idea but does cost them a little extra. I guess they can take the cost off their taxes.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Oh by way I am hoping OP doesnt drive on left side of road to protest laws forcing him to drive on right side. That could be rather deadly, though of course he would be free of govt interference in how he wants to drive. STOP sign, forget it. Cop turns on the blue light special, just hit the accelerator..... cause we know how well that will turn out.
Aren't you getting a little over dramatic with this? Let's say there was never a COVID what about bad flu seasons which we do have from time to time: have you ever heard of masks being requited to be worn. It is common sense that if you have any signs at all of an illness that is contagious you do not go out in public and if you do not, just be careful but masks do not need to be part of anyone's wardrobe. This is nothing like laws about driving. This is something there isn't really even any proof works. I am not saying people should not wear masks, I am saying to force them to wear masks is not the kind of government I want. Take this for what it is and nothing more.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:57 AM

425 posts, read 506,530 times
Quote:
Trump was informed in January maybe earlier by intelligence agencies of the virus. He sat on his hands. No preparations whatsoever. No ramping up PPE FOR MEDICAL PERSONNEL, no checking on stock of ventilators and arranging for more instead of states having to bid against each other for them, no arranging for mega amount tests needed, no arranging an army of people to do contact tracing. He saw what was happening in China and South Korea, and in Europe, still nothing. Some guy in Congress was briefed and his main objective was to protect his assets from the obvious stock market reaction. Didnt give a fig about the rabble that elected him.

Masks are not the main way to deal with the virus, TESTING TESTING TESTING plus contact tracing is what works in those countries that have NO CASES OF VIRUS IN THEIR COUNTRY. USA and Brazil are now competing neck and neck for most active cases. There are NO cases in the countries I mentioned. SK similar though they have some new cases from travelers.

This was something that needed to be handled by FEDERAL govt. The small cities cant do a lot, especially when the state governments keep them from implementing anything more than state is doing. The prez and congress is dysfunctional and doesnt give a rats behind. The governor is obviously most worried about wealth over health. So it goes.

Oh by the way when 20% of people are out of work, the economy doesnt bounce back like President Trumps fantasy. It just doesnt work that way. Its like turning an aircraft carrier out in ocean. It takes a LOT of ocean and time to do it. At this point getting virus under control should be first objective. Damage to economy already done, throwing away that sacrifice so you can get a haircut is kinda stupid.

But hey maybe if its all a hoax as you believe, you should book that cruise to Rio. Probably get a real deal. Hear its nice there this time of year. Can watch all the mass graves being dug. Yea they got them one of those genius presidents too.
Oh... I get where you're coming from now! You hate Trump. Got it. Unfortunately you are probably too polarized to have a fair debate on the topic. You seem to be saying the president of the United States is solely responsible for anything and everything. Where was the democratic leadership in "January"? They had the same influence, resources and power to source PPE. And why didn't the democratic leadership go ahead and close down the major US cities in "January"? Pelosi and congress on both sides were getting the same updates and intelligence. The first major action was taken by Trump himself on Jan-31st when he banned all travel from China (and was criticized for it on both sides). States govern themselves, it's not the presidents job to manage every city in the country. No US city or state should point the finger at the US government if they in-fact failed to act. Remember, this is a virus, and it has spread worldwide. And it is hilarious to hear people try and blame one person (Trump) for it.

Just for fun, I'll take on your other comments one by one...

20% of the people out of work: I'm not sure of the exact number, but let's assume you are correct. There is a simple solution, open the economy! BTW, for those out of work, many are making more money than before due to the relief package passed by the very guy you loathe. The economy is fine. The stock market is still posting record numbers, and more people are getting back to work everyday.
The aircraft carrier analogy was good (I heard the same thing on MSNBC the other day). But for a better analogy, think of the letter "V". The economy has already hit the bottom of the V, and we are on the way back to the top.

I agree with your point that "congress" is "dysfunctional", mainly due to the lower chamber being led by Pelosi.

Hoax: I never said it was a "hoax". I said it was a sham. The virus is real, but some of the radical responses to it is a sham. I do love a good cruise, but Rio wouldn't be on my list (too hot and humid). I think we will book an Alaska cruise pretty soon. If Trump stays in office another 4-years my 401k should grow enough for me to retire, and I'll be taking a lot of cruises.

Haircut: Yep, just got one. And I paid the lady double. She almost (and still may) lose her business due to being shut down for so long.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
But the govt DEMANDS you drive on right side of road. I thought OP couldnt stand govt telling people to do anything. Isnt it her right and personal freedom to drive on the left or up the middle? Same difference with mask, govt is just doing its job. Everybody wears a mask and keeps six foot from each other and its for everybody's benefit. Same way following traffic rules. Half people wearing mask and doing group hugs, it just doesnt work, just like half people driving on left side of road doesnt work. The masks dont protect you, they keep you from infecting others. If everybody wears a mask and does best to keep away from each other, lot less chance of anybody getting infected. Still need lot tests and contact tracing which is still not up to speed though better than when USA got caught flat footed couple two or three month ago.
Maybe you are still confused.. See in ALL of USA, we drive on the right hand side of the road. In most other parts of the world, influenced by British colonies, they drive on the left. No one drives in the "middle" unless we are driving on a 4-lane or interstate, but then we are still following the drive on the right rule. For those who can't comprehend this basic concept, may I suggest Uber.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:34 AM

To HJ99 the unemployment rate is not 20%; where did you get that number and it has been going down the past month or so. Is it still too high? Yes, but pray tell why is this Trumps fault? This is a combination or issues, so why must some people always think they have to put the blame on someone? Things happen and not always is it anyone's fault or certainly not the fault of a few, but of many perhaps

Old 06-23-2020, 10:11 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
People are not dying due to not wearing a mask. You’ve been watching far too much CNN. The mask issue has become political. Wearing a mask does nothing to prevent you from being infected with Covid-19. Unless it’s a certified N95 or better mask, but the general public does not have access to such.
I don't watch CNN. I do read online what respected medical professionals and scientists say. And they say wear masks. I really don't care what CNN or what Trump says.

Almost all masks lower transmission from an infected person spreading it up to 80% and lower the risk of getting it. Why do you think they have always sold masks in the paint department? They protect you from inhaling chemicals. To say they do nothing is ridiculous.

Quote:
And even then the mask must adhere to strict sanitation protocols. 99.9% of the public using a mask have no clue as to what type of mask they should use, much less how to sanitize or care for them.
Perhaps instead of telling people not to wear masks like you are doing we should educate people on wearing them to get the maximum benefit? I agree that this is a problem. But your solution is to not bother.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't watch CNN. I do read online what respected medical professionals and scientists say. And they say wear masks. I really don't care what CNN or what Trump says.

Almost all masks lower transmission from an infected person spreading it up to 80% and lower the risk of getting it. Why do you think they have always sold masks in the paint department? They protect you from inhaling chemicals. To say they do nothing is ridiculous.

Perhaps instead of telling people not to wear masks like you are doing we should educate people on wearing them to get the maximum benefit? I agree that this is a problem. But your solution is to not bother.
Paint chemicals can’t be compared to a virus. And to that point, wearing a mask (unless it is N95 or better rating) can’t protect you from “inhaling” any virus. There are some studies that suggest general face coverings can help contain water droplets from a person infected with the virus, but then counter studies show more harm in people misusing such face coverings.
80%.. really? Cite your sources. I call BS. (Said respectfully).

Old 06-24-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

The problem with your theory is simply: no matter where we get our information, there still is no concrete answers to the virus or the spread. OK, we know it is very contagious. That is for certain. But in the past few days I have talked to 3 family member, all living in different parts of the country and all in the medical field. They agree with each other; testing positive may or may not mean one can spread the disease and this is the concern. This is why the mask recommendation. All 3 have said there is just not enough proof and there is a good chance people who are non symptomatic may not cause any concerns. So there may not be a max benefit to all this.

I am not saying no one needs to wear a mask, I am saying forcing us too may not be the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers