Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM

54 posts, read 160,339 times

Advertisements

My parents have been attempting to sell their property for over a year. It is about 45 minutes from Fayetteville and spans more than 200 acres in the Ozarks. They've done amazing work on their property and lowered their price by more than 100K. They are retired and I'm anxious to get them back home to the Midwest.

I'm wondering if any of you AR natives have any tips on how to sell such a large piece of land in rural AR. Also, if someone could fill me in on how the market is going in AR - I'd love to hear. I can only do so much from MN.

It's a fantastic property. Strange as it may sound, it would be ideal for a birdwatcher due to the huge variety of birds that have made their property a migratory stop. It has two homes built on it, several ponds, a new woodworking shop, a small vineyard patch (we have family in Italy who run a vineyard and tested the soil to see if it would support grapes...it does), hot tub, new wrap-around deck...etc.

Do large plots of land like this not sell in AR? Seems like such an ideal spot to escape to, I'm confused by the lack of sales movement. Spots like this go like hot-cakes in MN. Share your knowledge with me, please - I'd really like to help my parents as much as possible...despite my distance.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
I'll buy the land if you price it low enough. You are obviously pricing it too high.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3three3 View Post
Do large plots of land like this not sell in AR?
Every day.

Land moves fast around me @ about 2K an acre.

However, when you combine houses, out structures, ponds, etc., people start to think it's worth more than it really is, and those sit.

If I were looking for acerage, which with that much is going to attract someone wanting to put livestock on it, 45 minutes from Fayetteville would be a hinderance.

How far is the closest sale barn?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,855 times
Quote:
My parents have been attempting to sell their property for over a year. It is about 45 minutes from Fayetteville and spans more than 200 acres in the Ozarks. They've done amazing work on their property and lowered their price by more than 100K. They are retired and I'm anxious to get them back home to the Midwest.

I'm wondering if any of you AR natives have any tips on how to sell such a large piece of land in rural AR. Also, if someone could fill me in on how the market is going in AR - I'd love to hear. I can only do so much from MN.

It's a fantastic property. Strange as it may sound, it would be ideal for a birdwatcher due to the huge variety of birds that have made their property a migratory stop. It has two homes built on it, several ponds, a new woodworking shop, a small vineyard patch (we have family in Italy who run a vineyard and tested the soil to see if it would support grapes...it does), hot tub, new wrap-around deck...etc.

Do large plots of land like this not sell in AR? Seems like such an ideal spot to escape to, I'm confused by the lack of sales movement. Spots like this go like hot-cakes in MN. Share your knowledge with me, please - I'd really like to help my parents as much as possible...despite my distance.

Thank you.
NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source (http://nwanews.com/adg/national/261959/ - broken link)

You're welcome.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM

206 posts, read 439,997 times
It's the economy. Some places in the U.S. have watched real estate prices go back to around the pre-1980 era.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Thank you for the respones.

RogMar: My parents are selling their property at just below $2200/acre, which seems rather reasonable considering the two houses, ponds, etc. The nearest sale barn is less than 5 miles away.

I don't think they are pricing it too high; my fear is that they have just had a series of sketchy real estate agents. They are on their 3rd agent and this one is the first one to list their property on the MLS...which seems like a common sense basic step. Not being from AR and moving there post-retirement, I think they lacked the networking contacts necessary for good real estate referrals, etc.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:

RogMar: My parents are selling their property at just below $2200/acre, which seems rather reasonable considering the two houses, ponds, etc. The nearest sale barn is less than 5 miles away.

I don't think they are pricing it too high; my fear is that they have just had a series of sketchy real estate agents. They are on their 3rd agent and this one is the first one to list their property on the MLS...which seems like a common sense basic step. Not being from AR and moving there post-retirement, I think they lacked the networking contacts necessary for good real estate referrals, etc.

3three3-is that the Fayetteville salebarn that the developers and the veterans are fighting over?

Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,855 times
Quote:

If your parents had two "licensed" real estate agents that never even listed the property on the MLS, which is standard fare anywhere in the country, I think I'd have to be talking to the State Real Estate Commission about them:

http://www.arkansas.gov/arec/

Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:

At $2200 an acre, there shouldn't be any problem.

If it were in my area, the typical buyer would be a producer who wants to expand, buys it, moves cattle to it, and has a ranch hand live in the house rent free in exchange for his work, and he gets a little cash also.

In this economy, it's amazing how many people answer adds for ranch hand work with boarding so they can have a nice place for their family.

It certainly sounds like a realtor malfunction.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 PM

It used to have cattle on it; the second house on the property was indeed used for ranch hands. The family who owned the property beforehand had kept one ranch hand on in that house because he didn't have anywhere else to go. My parents let him stay there for some time and remained like family to him until he passed last year.

I don't know which sale barn it is, just that it's less than 5 miles away. Remember, I'm in MN and don't know all the details.

Hearing from you that it's priced fairly, and should be selling, is good news. I've had a feeling that my parents were getting swindled by shady real estate folks.

I guess we'll just keep plugging away...

thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers