Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM

7 posts, read 34,934 times

Advertisements

My husband is exploring an opportunity that would require us to move from our beachside community in CT to the Bentonville area. A big change for our family. My husband and I both grew up in CT and have never been to Bentonville. We have 3 kids ( kindergarten, 4th grade and 6th grade) so finding the best schools is our top priority. We also have an affinity for the water so would love to live on a lake if possible (Bella Vista?). The cost of living works in our favor so would love to find a great house in family neighborhood with other working executives that have possibly been relocated , as well.

A couple of questions:

1).We love to ski. Where is the nearest ski mountain for great skiing(Colorado?)

2.) What do the kids do for the summer there?

3.) Where is the nearest beach resort to drive to?

4.) Is it true Benton is a dry county? What does that mean? How are the restaurants and night life?

Any info would be appreciated>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM

157 posts, read 518,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfamily View Post
My husband is exploring an opportunity that would require us to move from our beachside community in CT to the Bentonville area. A big change for our family. My husband and I both grew up in CT and have never been to Bentonville. We have 3 kids ( kindergarten, 4th grade and 6th grade) so finding the best schools is our top priority. We also have an affinity for the water so would love to live on a lake if possible (Bella Vista?). The cost of living works in our favor so would love to find a great house in family neighborhood with other working executives that have possibly been relocated , as well.

A couple of questions:

1).We love to ski. Where is the nearest ski mountain for great skiing(Colorado?)

4.) Is it true Benton is a dry county? What does that mean? How are the restaurants and night life?

I'm not from Bentonville, so others may be able to fill in:

1) Yes, the Rocky Mountain region.
3) I'm assuming you mean ocean beach, which means the Gulf of Mexico, which is quite a ways away.
4) Yes, Benton is a dry county. Washington County and Fayetteville 20 minutes to the south are your best chance for night life. In fact, you may want to look into living into Fayetteville, which is far more culturally vibrant.

If you're looking for a sizable lake to live on, Beaver Lake is about 20-30 minutes to the east: from: beaver shores, ar to: bentonville, ar - Google Maps

Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

A couple of questions:

I will do my best to answer your questions but other will chime in with different ideas I am sure. Hopefully you will get a cross section of ideas..

1-I am not certain but am guessing Colo might be the closest for skiing.

2-no end of activities for kids in the summer. Of course like any area there are swimming pools, hiking, kids activities from the library club to baseball, skate boarding or site seeing which there are plenty of places for a days outing..We have minor league baseball at night, all kinds of family fairs and weekend get togethers, etc..

3- No beaches as in the ocean but too many lakes to list, many with great beaches, water rafting, other water activities, as well as fishing and of course boating..

4-Benton Co is dry as already menioned but Washington co is not. This means you can not buy liqour by the bottle but all restaurants serve spirits. All you have to do is join thier club, which means you sign your name in the guest book when you walk in..It is a joke to be honest. If you move south of Bentonville you will be closer to Washington Co, north, we buy our booze in MO, which is a 3 to 10minute drive from Bella Vista. It is much cheaper in MO than in Washington Co..Fayetteville which is in Washington Co has more night life, but it is geared to the college kids more than the 30 plus somethings..Anywhere in the area you will find a mixture of plays, concerts, and musicals. Some are country, some geared to the seniors and lots of classical as well. Fayetteville is much more liberal than the rest of the county and more diversified, Bentonville and Bella Vista are more conservative..BV used to be strictly a retirement community but has changed in the past 10 years with more and more families moving here all the time..

There are lakes, lake front homes and lake front lots all over NWA. Redictor mentioned Beaver Lake, it is very nice and also a bit on the touristy or resort side of things. As for 15-20 minutes away, I am not sure it would be that close during rush hour if you are working in Bentonville.

If I were you I would look into Bentonville, BV and Fayetteville depending on your personal interests. All three are nice and very different from Ct I will add.

Nita

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Can't forget ice skating and hockey at the Jones Center. Plus lacrosse in the spring time.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Great skiing-one way to look at it is how much closer you will be to Colorado and Utah for great downhill skiing. If you like cross country skiing--Minnesota and South Dakota are within a day's drive to the North. And you can always go water-skiing at either Beaver Lake, Grand Lake or Table Rock.

Kids in the summer hang out at the pools, alot! Or hang out at the lake. Or hang out at the mall. They can go biking, hiking or picnicking at one of numerous parks or trails in the area. Be sure to visit Devil's Den this summer. Just south of Fayetteville, worth the short drive. There are numerous trails out at the Hobbs Estate, and after a morning hike, you can have an early lunch at War Eagle Mill, then go swimming for the afternoon in Beaver Lake. There are bowling alleys and movie theaters. There are baseball leagues and soccer leagues and softball. There are rivers to float. The Elk River is just north of Bella Vista, and one of the gems in the entire country, the Buffalo River is close by. The Mulberry a little further. By late summer they'll be too low, try to catch them early in the summer. The military parks have re-enactments, if you have any Civil War or history buffs in the family, they are quite good. Like Stormcrow mentioned, the Jones Center has lots of activities for children and the entire family. Be sure to catch the Naturals in action at their Springdale stadium. And check out the Walton Arts Center schedule this summer. Coming from CT, you will think it's Hot! When my family moved from Massachusetts, the first summer I just wanted to stay inside and watch TV. But there are lots of activities outside! Music in the parks, horseback riding, and so on. Just as if someone were moving to CT for the first time, they would have to do a little looking to find the things that interest them, and you will probably have to do the same, but there are things to do! (If there are certain foods your family likes, it might be worth it to pack a cooler when you move. My family orders kielbasa and Maypo and other things we can't get here.)

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
And as for dry county---no liquor stores in Benton County. But we are surrounded by wet counties. I can't think of anywhere in Benton County where you'd be more than 20 minutes from a liquor store. Restaurants that you would expect to serve alcohol, do, so while Benton County may be a dry county, it's the dampest dry county you can imagine.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Moving to Bentonville from CT

All great info! I thank you all for taking the time to fill me in on life on NWA.

My husband and I are going to come for a visit in 2 weeks (without the kids). We will have about 36 hours to drive around and check it all out. My goal is to get a flavor for life in NWA first hand. Where do you recommend that we drive around and go? I am trying to put together an itinerary hitting the top spots. Also, any nice hotel recommendations / restaurant for dinner/ neighborhoods to drive through etc. ? Any advice would be helpful.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM

165 posts, read 524,638 times
Quote:
... so would love to find a great house in family neighborhood with other working executives that have possibly been relocated , as well.>
Is your possible relocation connected to working as a supplier to Walmart?

If so, there are many great neighborhoods of executives in Bentonville that are mostly relocations from the east coast - if you can give an approximate price range, you will get some recommendations. Most of the Proctor & Gamble folks live in Fayetteville since that is where their office is located.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Default moving to Bentonville from CT

Yes, my husband would be heading up a supplier relationship for a major CPG Company, whose office is located in Bentonville. I would love to know areas that other transferred in executives live. Thanks for all your help.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Moving to Bentonville from CT

Also, not sure if we will buy or rent temporarily. The position would be for 2-3 years. It depends on if we sell our house in CT. The market is very depressed here and we would not want to sell our house at a loss.

Does anyone have any info on the rental home market? We are looking for a 4-5 bedroom house, 3 car garage, 4,000+square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers