Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,303 times

Advertisements

I'll admit that I didn't read the entire thread, but I've said my piece in a similar one.

I believe the value of art is subjective, and one can't know 100% the artist's intent when creating a piece. But, I watched the video of Morley Safer's piece on art from 1993, and the later one, and I agree with them somewhat. Just like anything else, I think there's talent, there's timing, and there's marketing. Sometimes I suspect that the artist is getting over on us. Last time I went to MoMa, there were works from Picasso and from a lesser-known artist, and they were virtually indistinguishable from one another. There were also two canvases that were painted all white; one with a vertical strip of a slightly different shade of white down the right side, and another where the white wasn't painted to the edges of the canvas.

I had a conversation about this with a musician friend of mine, who talked about a composition that constituted silence, for most or all of a piece. Now, he is a jazz musician, and people may think that he's just slamming randomly on a keyboard; I respect photorealistic art and landscapes, but prefer abstract, but at what point does it cease to be art and become laziness? An all-white canvas? Silence? I also think of novels like Tristram Shandy, and restaurants that serve dishes like coffee-scented air and butterscotch-flavored bacon as part of a $1500 experience.

I wonder if people don't suffer from cognitive dissonance when they view/hear/read/eat something that just doesn't jibe with what they consider "quality"? Honestly, I have a bunch of pencil and ink pen drawings, and I showed them to a friend that is the consummate BS artist. He sat there and described my drawings as "pre-birth this" and "internal conflict that", but I was watching, ironically enough, 60 Minutes when I was drawing them. Is it that terrible to let a patron walk out of the museum with the fire extinguisher for $30k if he sees value in it?

Anyhow, I read about the people that use found objects to create art, and I want to introduce you to Leo Sewell, an artist in Philly that builds amazing sculptures out of, well, garbage.

Leo Sewell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:18 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I find most of what passes for art nowadays to be boring, non-human, overpriced and essentially BS.
How in heavens name do people really discriminate in modern, abstract style art except to simply say "I like it" or "I don't like it"?
Where are the standards that make the stuff even remotely comprehensible?
That being said, why spend money on it except to impress other art queens?
I wonder what's the point of starting a thread to complain about modern art? What the hell is an art queen? What in heavens name does it mean? Consider getting educated on the subject.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I wonder what's the point of starting a thread to complain about modern art? What the hell is an art queen? What in heavens name does it mean? Consider getting educated on the subject.
You need to read the entire thread. I suspect the OP just wanted to start an argument, and he got one, for sure, but there are a lot of good perspectives on the questions that came from many sides.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
I don't know if this discussion is meant to be solely about enduring pieces such as paintings and sculpture, but I'm seeing a surge in popularity of body art, performance art, body painting, and complex film effects art. Maybe it's a combination of the circles of people I associate with and the TV shows I watch (Face Off, Henson Studio Challenge, etc) but I've been watching with interest as many of my artist friends are pushing back against the technological trends in film by developing extreme skills in practical effects, prosthetics, props and makeup.

Personally I find a high degree of artistic validity in this work, just watching them come up with some of the sculptures for the molds is pretty dazzling.

I want to thank the poster of that Eco art website, that was brilliant. I love it when artists repurpose unwanted rubbish into desirable and interesting forms, and those were stunning...

Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't know if this discussion is meant to be solely about enduring pieces such as paintings and sculpture, but I'm seeing a surge in popularity of body art, performance art, body painting, and complex film effects art. Maybe it's a combination of the circles of people I associate with and the TV shows I watch (Face Off, Henson Studio Challenge, etc) but I've been watching with interest as many of my artist friends are pushing back against the technological trends in film by developing extreme skills in practical effects, prosthetics, props and makeup.

Personally I find a high degree of artistic validity in this work, just watching them come up with some of the sculptures for the molds is pretty dazzling.

I want to thank the poster of that Eco art website, that was brilliant. I love it when artists repurpose unwanted rubbish into desirable and interesting forms, and those were stunning...
There's a lot of modern art that is not intended to last a long time. It's intended to be an experience, much like a concert or a play; it's done once, and is gone forever, never to be repeated in exactly the same way again.

Abstraction, the largest area of modern art, has crept it's way in to all our lives much more than we realize. The movement toward abstraction began over 100 years ago, so even those who say they don't like abstract art are more accepting of it than their ancestors would have been.

Artists have always been some of the first to use every advance in technology that has come along. The use of film as a medium was accepted from the first. The early photographers were all called artists, not technicians.
Body painting is completely on the opposite end of technology. Humans have been painting themselves in an abstract manner for as long as we have been humans. Tattoos are nothing more or less than permanent body paint.

I see everything you mentioned as valid art. It's just like any art, too- there is exceptionally beautiful stuff and other stuff that's as ugly as Rosemary's baby, but that's true of all art mediums.

What's interesting to me is your mention of advanced prosthetics. To look real, a prosthetic must have an element of hyper-realism in it, and hyper-realism has been a major art movement in traditional media since the early 70s. It's the part of modern art that rides a razor thin edge between representational art and abstract art.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
There's a lot of modern art that is not intended to last a long time. It's intended to be an experience, much like a concert or a play; it's done once, and is gone forever, never to be repeated in exactly the same way again.

Ypu know with that I've alway wondered what's its rationale? If it's based on 'experience' well aren't we creating that kind of 'art' each and every day as we are alive, i.e. no two days are alike in anybody's existence. There we go! Life then is art!...;-)....

Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Ypu know with that I've alway wondered what's its rationale? If it's based on 'experience' well aren't we creating that kind of 'art' each and every day as we are alive, i.e. no two days are alike in anybody's existence. There we go! Life then is art!...;-)....
That's true for some people, but not for others.

All the arts are results of conscious thinking, planning, learning and practice.

While there are no two days that are exactly alike, the fact is that, for most folks, there are very many days that are very, very similar to each other. The few who lead lives that are not this way are a truly rare and small bunch.

Spontaneity happens to us all, but that's not essential to art. If it was, serial murders could be considered to be artists, as they are some of the most spontaneous people there are.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 AM

90 posts, read 103,959 times
I have not been to the Sistine Chapel, but I have been to the Rothco Chapel in Houston. I do hope that I am as much impressed with the Sistine when I visit in June, as I was in the Rothco.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
I have not been to the Sistine Chapel, but I have been to the Rothco Chapel in Houston

Could you share your impression of what it as like there in front of those paintings? I'd like to go there myself one day.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
^^^^It was years ago but my first thought walking in was--it's smaller than I imagined. But, I spent a lot of time
looking at all the fresco's since I fell in love with Michelangelo's work when I was a child. Another must see is the
Pantheon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts