Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times

Advertisements

I find most of what passes for art nowadays to be boring, non-human, overpriced and essentially BS.
How in heavens name do people really discriminate in modern, abstract style art except to simply say "I like it" or "I don't like it"?
Where are the standards that make the stuff even remotely comprehensible?
That being said, why spend money on it except to impress other art queens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I find most of what passes for art nowadays to be boring, non-human, overpriced and essentially BS.
How in heavens name do people really discriminate in modern, abstract style art except to simply say "I like it" or "I don't like it"?
I know that it was 20 years ago, but did you ever see Morley Safer's "infamous" piece on modern art on "60 Minutes"? It is unforgettable.

Morley Safer's infamous 1993 art story - 60 Minutes - CBS News

^^^^^Please see the original video first ^^^^^^

In 2012, he did an update on modern art:

Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
Thanks, NJ, I am still speechless at some of the stuff that goes on in the amazing world of 'art' nowadays!
In fact, I once attracted a small group of people who gathered round me at a local art museum, as I described at great length and in flowery prose the wonderful symmetry and composition of a piece mounted on a support pillar.
It was the thermostat.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:22 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Quote:
Thanks, NJ, I am still speechless at some of the stuff that goes on in the amazing world of 'art' nowadays!
In fact, I once attracted a small group of people who gathered round me at a local art museum, as I described at great length and in flowery prose the wonderful symmetry and composition of a piece mounted on a support pillar.
It was the thermostat.

Were they impressed with your knowledge?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Quote:
It was the thermostat.
You just had an audience that didn't understand art. But yes it does prove any idiot can use technical terms and the uneducated will believe it. News casters do this to the general public. Sad actually.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
It was the thermostat.
There is conceptual art and contemporary art. Conceptual - where the idea and message is more important
than the piece itself. It is nothing new. Marcel Duchamp's urinal and bicycle wheel was questioning
what is art back in 1917.
There are some excellent contemporary artists however I have seen this BS since the 70's. I've known
these type "contemporary artists" and most of them couldn't draw, paint or sculpt but they had an idea.
Here's a freebee - take a GI Joe doll and stick a pocket knife in it then title it "Man's Inhumanity to Man."
Go on and on about the depth and process of your work and maybe you will find a dealer who can
place your pieces in a gallery where the super rich can be fooled to buy it.
That's the bottom line of the report - no fool like a super rich fool.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
Quote:
That's the same thing people said about Impressionists, Expressionists, Abstract Expressionists, and on and on. People thought that Monet was garbage because he did something different. A Francis Bacon painting just set a record as the most expensive piece of art ever sold (not my cup of tea but I can appreciate it) . Art doesn't have to be representational to be great.

Francis Bacon painting auctioned for more than $142 million - CNN.com

Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
That's the same thing people said about Impressionists, Expressionists, Abstract Expressionists, and on and on. People thought that Monet was garbage because he did something different. A Francis Bacon painting just set a record as the most expensive piece of art ever sold (not my cup of tea but I can appreciate it) . Art doesn't have to be representational to be great.

Francis Bacon painting auctioned for more than $142 million - CNN.com
Yes many despised Impressionists, Abstract Expressionists, Cubism, Surrealism & Modern
Art because they were different and were never done before. Some eventually became
accepted but then again some were not as lucky to sell their work (Van Gogh).
Of course art does not have to be representational but just watching some buyers
go gaga over a string of light bulbs (which were not hand made) and pay an insane
price is the epitome of absurdity.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
So says you.
What makes "I like it" unacceptable? Everyone likes one form of art or another because they like it. That's always been the reason why art sells.

Who says art has to be comprehensible? Show me the rule book that says so. Some people like no visual or mental challenge in the art they purchase, while others prefer art that remains constantly arresting to them by it's incomprehensibility. People buy abstract art because they can see representative elements in it that keep shifting, while others appreciate abstracts for their colors or energy or use of technique.

Art is not always purchased to impress others. In fact, most art that's sold is purchased only because it gives it's owner visual pleasure.
Indeed, some art is bought to be impressive. And the art that's bought for that purpose always fills that function or it wouldn't be purchased in the first place. A good piece of art can be impressive in it's serenity, it's display of power, it's cheerfulness, or as a display of wealth in all those areas.

Sometimes a painting's size alone does the trick, other times it's the work of some famous artist, and other times it's the tiny stuff that must be viewed up close.

And who is an 'art queen'? Please define that description. Art is bought by everyone. The poor buy cheap prints, and the wealthy spend buckets of money for exactly the same purposes.

Who says any art is overpriced? You can go out and buy a piece of art for 50¢ or $5.00 or $50.00 or $500.00 or $5,000.00 or $5 million dollars. Art is the most free market capitalism of all. Everything sells for what the buyer is willing to fork over.

If you find today's art boring, then go buy some old painting that you like and be happy. You are fully entitled to your opinions, but don't expect everyone else to agree with them.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
There is conceptual art and contemporary art. Conceptual - where the idea and message is more important
than the piece itself. It is nothing new. Marcel Duchamp's urinal and bicycle wheel was questioning
what is art back in 1917.
There are some excellent contemporary artists however I have seen this BS since the 70's. I've known
these type "contemporary artists" and most of them couldn't draw, paint or sculpt but they had an idea.
Here's a freebee - take a GI Joe doll and stick a pocket knife in it then title it "Man's Inhumanity to Man."
Go on and on about the depth and process of your work and maybe you will find a dealer who can
place your pieces in a gallery where the super rich can be fooled to buy it.
That's the bottom line of the report - no fool like a super rich fool.
The super rich are no fools. They didn't get to be super rich by being foolish about anything, especially when it comes to art. If a painting sells for 5 figures or more, take it for granted that it is as much an investment as art alone. Those who buy hugely expensive artworks are very well educated in their pursuits. Expensive art becomes just as much a passion to those who can afford it as vintage autos or any other big high-dollar items.

If you think you can find a dealer who will display a mangled G.I. Joe doll, go for it! Make yourself some big money easy!
No dealer every buys any art they are not confident they can't sell. Art is a business just like any other. Every art dealer who stays in business knows his market like the back of his hand. And it's a given that those who can afford the art most easily always drive the hardest bargain.

I agree that conceptual art is a hard sell at the moment, but every art movement is cyclical. As long as the concept is solid enough to withstand the wear and tear of time, what is old is always new again.

Some of the conceptual art of the 80's was so ephemeral that it could only be experienced once, just like a play or a live concert. That stuff made it's money on the tickets, just like any other experience that can't be repeated exactly over and over.

The thing about art that is an object is it's permanence, not the time it required to make it.

The need for a 'message' died for good at the end of the 60's. Those who need a message these days can't afford the art in the first place. They're the same folks who can't tell a $100 guitar from a $10,000 guitar and need an explanation why one costs so much more than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts