Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:53 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,078,632 times

Advertisements

In terms of practicality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,683,466 times
Sculpting, as in clay or stone, is a stretch. 3-D sculptures with mixed media is closer.
Drawing for architecture - but that's not really construction. Construction is hammer and nails type work. Some of which is used in art for armatures.
But those aspects don't really apply to building a building really.
My perspective is construction is it's own kind of art.
My simple answer would be neither.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Sculpture is 3D visualization and drawing is 2D. Both are useful in construction, but 'sculpting' in the traditional sense wouldn't find much use; most 3D models are made from rigid materials like foam board, using 2D blueprints as a guide.

Both would find more use in an architect's shop than onsite, but there are always lots of sketches that are done onsite that are usually pretty rough.

In practica terms, traditional sculpture is more often used in other industries; the auto industry, reproduction furniture and ornamental details, jewelry manufacturing, mold and pattern making, the model industry, and restoration of all kinds still use sculptors. Materials and techniques very widely. Increasing more will be done digitally using 3D printers, but some will still be done by hand and will be scanned by 3D scanners for mass production.

Drawing skills have a much wider range of application. Again, the majority of drafting work is now done completely digitally, but there are shops where first sketches are still hand drawn and scanned for final digitalization. Much of this kind of work requires a strong knowledge of history that is related to the work.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,078,632 times
I have to take a visual art for college and i am between these two. I am not eally and " artsy" person. My major is Accounting but i am also interested in going into the construction trades such as being an Electricia.

Both are beginner/intro classes. Sculpting seems to be more hands on which i like but i read drawings is much easier. I just want to pass. The drawing class that is available also has a more favorable time schedule than the sculpting class. And the drawing materials would be cheaper i believe. But i am not sure. I don't know how to draw or sculpt.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,645 posts, read 81,386,567 times
If it's for fun, take whichever you would enjoy more. You should find out within the first few classes whether you have any talent for it. I can't see how either would help you get a job as an electrician. In construction the "artistic" skills are CAD, 3D software such as Solidworks, and CNC or Laser for constructing models. Interior and landscape design may involve some drawing but is mostly done with architectural graphics programs. Trade schools have programs in electrical and sometimes ofter apprenticeships through local employers.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Drawing is cheaper than sculpture. It's also more widely useful, and a lot less messy. I recommend taking sculpture as a second art course rather than a first.

If you just show up and do the work your teacher requests on time, you'll pass any Beginning Art course. Really applying yourself will certainly pull a higher grade, as sincere application is the most evident in a stone beginner. Don't believe talent rules; the fact is, repetition and practice is much more valuable. All talent does is speed up the process a little unless you are one of the truly rare who have been hit on the head by God's sliver hammer.

Do not hope you are one of those. Those folks have no choice in the matter- they do art because they must, and it's usually the only thing in life they are very good at.

One thing that will make you a lot happier in a beginner's class is to always remember that it isn't a competition. Don't try ranking your self to others- that's the teacher's job, and he knows it much better than you ever will. The main thing is to stay true to what you are learning. If you think you can cop a lick from another student, try to choose the best one in the class to copy. The teacher will know you are copying, but everyone else will also be copying the same person.

And don't sell yourself short. I've seen lots of beginners who thought they had no ability, and had little initial interest. Art has a way of changing those notions very quickly, and you can't predict how involved you may become, as it's all a very powerful means of self-expression. It's like turning on a switch that has never been used before; what happens next could be a big and good surprise.

But even if it isn't a life changer, learning a few basic elements of drawing will serve you well.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,385,532 times
Both but mixed media is where it is at. Basically you want to learn PERSPECTIVE in terms of ARCHITECT.

I think the class was called Mixed Media. We had to build build things with various products and things like that.

Three things we had to do.

Build up stuff high Perspective drawing. Build stuff up high with plexiglass type of material ( this is not plexiglass ).

This class took place in the same room as sculpture It is best to visit directly and ask about what is what. For me I ran into an construction enthusiast.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 AM

6,403 posts, read 6,294,715 times
I think drawing is actually a lot more difficult IMHO. It is more difficult for me to take a 3D design and put it into 2 which is what a lot of drawing classes have you do. Sculpture is usually 3D to 3D even if the image is just in your head.

Unless we are talking about throwing pottery then all bets are off.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 AM

671 posts, read 691,301 times
Default Art for art's sake...or is it actually useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Drawing is cheaper than sculpture. It's also more widely useful, and a lot less messy. I recommend taking sculpture as a second art course rather than a first.

If you just show up and do the work your teacher requests on time, you'll pass any Beginning Art course. Really applying yourself will certainly pull a higher grade, as sincere application is the most evident in a stone beginner. Don't believe talent rules; the fact is, repetition and practice is much more valuable. All talent does is speed up the process a little unless you are one of the truly rare who have been hit on the head by God's sliver hammer.

Do not hope you are one of those. Those folks have no choice in the matter- they do art because they must, and it's usually the only thing in life they are very good at.

One thing that will make you a lot happier in a beginner's class is to always remember that it isn't a competition. Don't try ranking your self to others- that's the teacher's job, and he knows it much better than you ever will. The main thing is to stay true to what you are learning. If you think you can cop a lick from another student, try to choose the best one in the class to copy. The teacher will know you are copying, but everyone else will also be copying the same person.

And don't sell yourself short. I've seen lots of beginners who thought they had no ability, and had little initial interest. Art has a way of changing those notions very quickly, and you can't predict how involved you may become, as it's all a very powerful means of self-expression. It's like turning on a switch that has never been used before; what happens next could be a big and good surprise.

But even if it isn't a life changer, learning a few basic elements of drawing will serve you well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Both but mixed media is where it is at. Basically you want to learn PERSPECTIVE in terms of ARCHITECT.

I think the class was called Mixed Media. We had to build build things with various products and things like that.

Three things we had to do.

Build up stuff high Perspective drawing. Build stuff up high with plexiglass type of material ( this is not plexiglass ).

This class took place in the same room as sculpture It is best to visit directly and ask about what is what. For me I ran into an construction enthusiast.
Almeida93, the previous posters all have supplied great info and opinions. For the sake of brevity and not a repetitive answer, I've highlighted in bold some very good reasons to begin with drawing.

This is the foundation for ANY art - both in knowledge, eye-brain-hand training and building/honing neural sensory pathways. Drawing will also be a foundation course for any type of sculpture class as well.
It also helps to train your brain to "see" things differently - be it in terms of perspective, accurate line, as well as can assist you in imagining new or different modes and outcomes in construction.

I've put one poster's statement above bold (those I whole-heartedly agree with) and one in italics.

I'm not quite sure what he means by this statement, but at face value, I would disagree. At least from my own experience, and being involved with various art leagues along the years. I've observed that some of the best artists were actually successful architects, engineers, physicians, etc., and art was either their avocation, or "new" /second career.

I spent several years throughout my grade and high-school education taking various drawing courses, and loved it...became better through repetition, practice, and then applying this knowledge to more advanced art studies at the collegiate level, in sculpture, mixed media, and other similar art courses.

Although I didn't pursue art as my major (I focused on biology, pre-med), I always kept art on the sidelines as my avocation. However, in a few instances, I was also commissioned to illustrate several medical books...all in pen and ink (black and white), a la Frank Netter without the color. I almost went to a post-grad program for medical illustration, but decided against it, as I wanted to do art my own way, and not be constrained.

Interestingly, In the medical field, I found that my fundamental drawing classes helped me perform surgery with much more finesse! I had honed my eye-hand coordination via drawing. Also, via the understanding of perspective, was able to "visualize" my surgical approach as I prepared for my surgical cases; this approach, I believe, helped me to excel in my surgeries, much like athletes who "visualize" their success before their competition.

Sculpture also prepared me very well during reconstructive-type surgery - especially bone remodeling.

So, as previous posters have asserted, you'll never know where art and the drawing experience can lead you.

As far as one statement above that "these folks have no choice in the matter"...I had to chuckle and nod in agreement. How VERY true!!!

I HAVE to do art...ANY kind of art...it's part of me, as well as a compulsion of which I have no control, nor real understanding.

It's an integral part of me...I don't know which came first here, the chicken or the egg. Was I born with this compulsion? Or did it simply develop or "connect" the first time I held a charcoal in my fingers and began to emote on the paper...I just don't know.

Actually, it wasn't a piece of charcoal...but a lipstick. I just turned 3, and was in my grandmother's newly-painted bedroom. I recall seeing this blank peach-colored wall, and it just screamed to me to do something.

Sooooo, I got my mom's lipstick from her purse, and drew on that darned blank wall with such enthusiasm, beautiful scribbles, and long, arcing lines. What JOY!!! I was SO proud of it...and couldn't quite understand just why my mom and g'mom were so upset....!!!

Especially, I couldn't understand just why they "tanned" my behind with the wooden spoon...

I remember it to this day, but moreso, I remember the feeling I experienced while drawing...it was sheer bliss!!! That feeling is indescribable...

Ever since then, I was bitten by the art bug!

I WILL tell you, that I haven't been able to paint for at least 2 years, because of multiple constraints and medical issues; it's actually been "painful" not to be able to do so.

In fact, in another thread here, I've made a promise to myself...a challenge to paint something, anything, over the next week.

I'm sure my DH will appreciate that, as I'll be much better to live with!

Sooooo, my vote is to take the basic drawing class - just keep up with assignments, don't compare yourself to anyone else, and practice, practice, practice. Try drawing to music. Try drawing something upside-down (so your brain doesn't "fool" you - reference "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain" by Edwards). Try 2- minute drawings. All of these exercises will improve your skills.

Please report back to us at the end of the term, and share your experience with us! I'd be interested in hearing about your progress, and what you've learned!

All the best -

Dandiday

Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
I definitely think that the drawing class will be of more practical use to you. Let's assume you don't get bitten by the "art bug" (I refer to the compulsive need to create as "art-ism", which is perhaps an ill conceived play on "autism" as in it can almost be dysfunctional sometimes, me and my weird art friends, though I love it!) but let's say that you're looking for something that could be useful to your secondary interests in construction... Well, being able to conceptualize something even like a diagram out of your head and onto paper is useful. And nowadays, although people talk about it being all digital, I know a TON of people who are using a mix...tablet and stylus...to combine drawing with computer program to create diagrams and sketches and get an idea into the physical world so that it can be incorporated into a project.

I love multimedia and sculpture and can imagine some usefulness to that, too, but I think that unless you are wanting to focus more on it and pursue a side-track of some significance into that--you are better of just tacking on a drawing class than a sculpture class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts