Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,639,130 times

Advertisements

HI All -

I have the opportunity to sponsor some new seats in our university's theater, and we can name them. I can afford to sponsor 4 seats. So: what should I name them?

I was thinking of favorite playwrights: Sam Shepherd and Tennessee Williams are two of my favs. Not sure who the other two would be. Any suggestions?

or, characters in plays/musicals. Martha and Abby Brewster?

Help me out by sharing the names of your favorite characters from plays, or else your favorite playwrights. No movie characters unless it was a play first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 06:48 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,465,538 times
Both are good ideas!

If 2 of the seats will be named for characters, it might be good to select a famous couple, like Martha and George from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

Edward Albee would be another playwright who could be named.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:58 PM

Yay, I got a comment!

I'm thinking seriously about these 2 seats next to each other: Edwin Forrest and Willam C. Macready. Quiz - why these two?

No, I think I've actually chosen these girls (Abigail Williams, Mary Warren, Mercy Lewis, and Susanna Walcott.) Quiz - name that play!

Kind of fun to think of these. Got to challenge the people who'll be sitting in the seats in the future!

Old 06-10-2020, 05:21 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,465,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yay, I got a comment!

I'm thinking seriously about these 2 seats next to each other: Edwin Forrest and Willam C. Macready. Quiz - why these two?

No, I think I've actually chosen these girls (Abigail Williams, Mary Warren, Mercy Lewis, and Susanna Walcott.) Quiz - name that play!

Kind of fun to think of these. Got to challenge the people who'll be sitting in the seats in the future!
#2 are characters from "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller. Very clever choice, too, as The Crucible is one of those rare plays where the women get the best lead roles.
At first, I thought they were characters from "The Little Foxes", another great women's play, until I remembered who Mercy Lewis was.

#1 stumped me. But I suspect they were rivals in something, either in a play or possibly as a couple of actors.

I think it would be cool if the name tags on the seats could have some little clue in them as to who the seats are named for.

That would be some fun for the theater-goers who sit in them, and could possibly create a lot of interest for the theater.

It's a really great idea and a very creative one!

Old 06-10-2020, 05:23 PM

1,161 posts, read 470,459 times
Elwood P. Dowd and Harvey.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Elwood P. Dowd and Harvey.

I actually was thinking of these two too!!! I remember going to see Harvey as a little girl with my family in a tiny theater in a small country town. It was magical. I think we got rock candy as treats afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts