Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:20 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yeah, now every artist has a website or is on an agent's website.

Also for some unknown reason - website design has become the realm of the designer now. Most businesses are too cheap to hire a graphic artist for print and another web developer for their website. So guess who gets to do both for the same salary? the graphic artist/designer...

So if you are going into the art field, I highly recommend learning web design and web development in order to work in the graphic design field. And become an expert at photoshop - and I mean EXPERT. He may need these skills in between illustration commissions to pay the bills.
Isn't he going to college? They teach that at IN college... it isn't expected to be fully comprehended until you take Graphic Design 101... if he is going to be taking classes at a college, he will learn all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
don't they have people at the school to help out with the portfolio?
He attends a very small charter school and the "art department" consists of one art teacher and a very enthusiastic superintendent. So, of course, his art teacher is helping him but I want to help him as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
My son is sixteen and his artistic talent has been apparent since he was very young. It's not just a "mom's opinion". I have been fortunate enough to have him in private school from 2nd grade through 5th and then we were able to get him scholarships for 2 summers to a local summer art program, and he has been attending a charter school since middle school (he's now a junior) with a great upper level art teacher. Every previous art teacher has raved about him and talked about how he's got the makings of a master, etc.

His current art teacher is great, and everyone's opinion is that he could really go far with his work and get a scholarship. So I have been talking with a close friend of mine who is also a high school art teacher and a fine artist in her own right, and she is strongly urging me to help him build a portfolio over the next year for "portfolio day", when various prestigious art school reps will take a look at the student's work and sometimes offer admission, even scholarships on the spot.

I have no real idea how to guide him in this though. We are a creative family overall but my creativity comes through in other ways. I am lost in the art world when it comes to painting, drawing, etc. I wondered if anyone here had any insight.

She says that they are looking for the ability to carry an idea all the way through from inspiration to finish, and the skills related to being able to work with various mediums. Most of his work is drawings (pencil) with a few paintings, but not many.

He is interested in computer graphic art and has some work he has done on the PC as well. He'd like to work in video game design but he's open to various career possibilities that allow him to use his artistic ability and creativity.

I just want to know what I, as his mom, can do to help him. I'm clueless about it all really. I do believe he has a really good shot and a scholarship would be so wonderful... because if he were accepted we'd really be at a loss as to how to pay for art school, but the alternative is a couple years at a community college with hopes of transferring later on.
Hey Fierce! I went to art school and received my bachelors and masters in fine arts so I may be able to help a little bit.

Do you have any universities in your area? There are some great opportunities to be had in their continuing ed classes. Also, many of the larger art museums offer great classes that are offered by some incredible artists in residence.

There are so many amazing grants out there for serious artists and it sounds like your son probably falls into that category

During the summers during college I taught at a very well known art camp. I will DM the information to you. They offer grants and tuition on sliding scales.

Good luck to you!!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Isn't he going to college? They teach that at IN college... it isn't expected to be fully comprehended until you take Graphic Design 101... if he is going to be taking classes at a college, he will learn all that.
No it depends on what degree you are getting...

I am getting an Interactive media degree. An interactive/digital/electronic degree covers both web design and graphic design. BUT it focuses more on software. Graphic design does focus on graphic design software but it also focuses heavily on art. That is because generally graphic design is in the art college. IM degrees have little to no art and it is attached to the communication department. Graphic Design degrees usually do not cover web design.

For gaming... It would be easier on him if he is good in math. Two of the top programs in the gaming industry are 3D Max and Maya. I dabbled with Maya in an Intro to Gaming course. All I have to say is holy hell I am glad I did not pick that field. Have him download the free trials of those two programs and read some tutorials.

Last edited by nitokenshi; 09-08-2008 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 03:19 PM
ync

1 posts, read 2,081 times
I'm currently in the process of building my portfolio for my college application and i'm actually going to a portfolio review tomorrow. Portfolios normally consist of 25 pieces, you don't have to have that many, or you can have more, it's just nice to have a wide variety of what you can do. Depending on what major your son is going for will depend on what he puts in his portolio. I've chose to major in illustration so the college wants to see lots of observation drawings and other artwork. One thing they don't want is if you put everything you've done in. So say you shove graphic design, photography, and illustration in the folder, they won't care - they don't want to see all the wonderful things you can do, they want to see the wonderful things you can do for your intended major - don't scatter it around. I've filled mine with i think 30 pieces, they range from about 12 observation drawings to paintings, to pieces i've done on the computer (photoshop, corel painter etc.) They like to see the steps you take towards the final piece, so if you can get like...pencil sketches or production sketches that show how you formed your idea to the final piece, they love that. They don't mind works in progress, tear sheets or sketchbooks - you could shove your sketchbook in the portfolio for all they care. I was emailed an article from the New York Times on national portfolio day (which is what i'm attending tomorrow) and it helps alot as to what the reviewers want to see and don't want to see. [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/education/edlife/guidance.html[/url]

Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
Most people don't know what to do with a precocious child. Picasso, who was a child prodigy said, "What might be taken for a precocious genius is the genius of childhood. When the child grows up, it disappears without a trace. It may happen that this boy will become a real painter some day, or even a great painter. But then he will have to begin everything again, from zero."

Most parents rely on the school system. In the case of Alexandra Nechita, her parents relied on the gallery system. Whether you choose one, the other or both, your position as a parent is guidance. Hunting down the right school and relocating or commuting a great distance to advance your child's schooling can be a great sacrifice, as well as any costs involved. Putting your child in a professional situation is something that all but the most achievement inspired parents will consider. Whatever path you choose, you need to be comfortable with it. As an art teacher with ten years of experience, I find one in 400 students have the 'it factor.' When I say 'it', the child has coloring book quality drawings at ages 5, 6, or 7. They are truly precocious. I taught a four year old that could draw better than me. I'm not too bad myself.

So, you need to ask yourself, "is my child ready for the art world?" If not, find an artist who your child can apprentice with or find art classes at a community art center. Encourage him or her to make artwork and always respond positively. Ask question after question to discover what is good about their art. My principal asked me to provide an enrichment class for the best artists at our school, I'll oblige but, the best children I teach have enough good work in my regular class.

If your child is good enough for the galleries, find a gallery to represent your child. Remember you are in it for the long run. No sales is just fine. Alexandra Nechita still relies on her precocious beginnings. Periods of no product are just fine also. An artist responds to their own reality. If the signs point to laziness, then relax. The productive times will come. Let your child feel they are in the driver's seat with your support.

The basics of guidance include visits to art museums, galleries, purchases of art materials, setting aside an art space for your child, lots of praise, down time, and pursuit of extra education. More advanced guidance includes meeting artists, visiting art hubs of the world, and enrolling in art specialized schools. This may sound like a lot, it all depends on your child and what you are ready to provide yourself. I have two students at my old school that I feel indebted to return to and offer my services to, they are that good. Peter, is going in to third grade now, he understood monochromatic color in first grade. His uncle is an artist and takes an interest in his progress. One of my current students fits the bill, she draws coloring book quality pictures now, seven years old. If left to her own devices, she may just view it as an undeveloped talent. With guidance she will find it as her consummate skill and her entry into the public world.

A portfolio is just a selection of 10-20 artworks. They can be matted, framed, what have you. Whether they are drawn, painted or computer animated, they are the best works of your child. Is there a future in computer art? You betcha. The hours are long, but the pay is commensurate with lawyers. As for paying for college, loans are worth it, it doesn’t matter which school your child attends--I know plenty of artists who beat out the better school competition with their product, and desire outmatches everything. Send me a sample of your child’s work. Direct mesage me for my email.

Patrick

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
I think some of what I'm going to say has already been said but I'll reiterate as an artist/art teacher and graduate with a degree in fine art. Your son should enroll in the highest level art class he can get into in his high school and include some of his best assignments in his portfolio. He should work on his own to build his skills and include some of his best work done on his own. There are video tutorials out there that are pretty good which he can use for self teaching (wetcanvas.com). He could enroll in community college classes for the computer art. Students with outstanding portfolios and good grades in high school can get scholarships to art schools. One of my former students received a full ride to Otis College of Art and Design. She had a portfolio of her own drawings (fashion sketches) and work she did in my class (fine art) and she was an AP student. It is not too late for your son!!! Tell him to learn all that he can about the "basics" of making art (color theory, drawing, composition, creativity) and work hard at making his artwork the best it can be. BEST WISHES!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 AM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
I would like to add that some community colleges offer most if not all the classes needed to learn computer based art, gaming and commercial art. Your son doesn't have to go to an expensive art school to become a good artist. If he has the drive, the skills and creativity he can make it without going to a high priced art school.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times
My daughter is a senior in high school and the colleges are asking for her portfolio in CD form. So they can see the images without her having to haul them all over the place. This is also so that kids don't have to carry huge pieces to a portfolio review. She is an AP art in high school and she had to work on 50-60 pieces during the school year, so now she has plenty to choose from. They don't have to be matted. Let me add that my daughter has been drawing since she could hold a pencil and has sold some of her paintings too. She is a custom shoe designer and has sold over 20 pairs of shoes already (she does her artwork on canvas shoes!) I am glad you are encouraging him. He'll be fine. Once he is in high school he can start gathering up his best pieces for his portfolio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts