Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM

584 posts, read 2,149,854 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if it would be ok to store my empty fish tank and hood in the garage. I'm not worried about the cold, I'm worried about the heat in summer. Will it warp or crack anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Actually, this is kind of a two part. I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep the fish tank up and running in my house, put it out in the garage up and running, or empty it and store it in the garage. My main concern was that over night the air hose came loose from the air pump and then leaked water out of the tank onto my floor where it fell off the pump. For just over night it leaked so much water onto my floor. Luckily it only was in a huge puddle around the stand and on the carpet and didn't damage anything else, but it could have. And I don't want this kind of thing to happen again. I don't want future problems in my house. I like fish keeping. But the maintaining them is a little tiring. If it were operational in the garage, I don't know how much enjoyment I would get out of it or how often I could see the fish versus the inside of my house. So that is why I am wondering if I should just store it in the garage for now to use at some other time. Any thoughts? Moving fish tanks around is very time consuming so I want to make the best decision first instead of changing my mind.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Water leaking because of loose air pump.

Get yourself a 1 way check valve for the air pump. I normally recommend placing air pump above water level but that may not be an option for everyone. In any case, always use a one way check valve on the air line. In doing so, in the even of a fail air pump, water would not drail from the tank because of the checkvalve.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the air pump tip. Wish I would have known about that before the huge mess. I really like the fish, but I'm wondering if the mess of it all out weighs having it inside versus garage. I'm wondering also if the plastic tubing and canister filter would be ok in the hot garage.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Although the air hose actually fell off of the air pump and fell to the floor, so raising it up above the tank would not matter I guess.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Although the air hose actually fell off of the air pump and fell to the floor, so raising it up above the tank would not matter I guess.
but having the check valve would have prevented leakage.

There is not problem with putting fish tank in the garage. My fish room used to be in the garage. Unfortunately, the extreme hot/cold makes it much harder to keep my tanks there.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM

Yes the extreme hot of summer is what I am worried about. If the hood or canister filter warps from the heat it will be useless. Tanks/stands take up so much room. How did you have yours set up in the garage? I can't really find any info on keeping a tank in the garage in use or stored. I was hoping to hear from others the pros/cons so I can decide what to do. Don't want to haul everything back and forth.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM

So still don't know if it will be ok to store the fish tank out in the garage in the summer heat. Will it cause the sealant to change? Or will it cause the plastic to warp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish