Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a goldfish that kills anything else in the tank? We've named ours Serial Killer Fred, or SKF. We started with two goldfish and within days one died. I thought maybe we just got a sick fish and we bought another. In a couple days it was dead too. Odd. Then a week later the sucker fish died. I've not tried any other fish in there since I don't want to sacrifice any other scaley kids. We brought home a bunch of snails that my aunt had too many of in her tank. I think there were around 15. As of this morning, four months later, there is only one left. I think he's eating them. Is it possible this guy just wants his own bachelor pad? He's in a 20 gallon aquarium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
What kind of goldfish, is it a fancy tailed goldfish, or the more common goldfish you see at carnivals? How old is it? What are you feeding him? Fancy tailed goldfish can have swim bladder problems and even die if fed flakes, but the comets and commons are fine with flakes. Twenty gallons is about the minimum requirement for an adult goldfish, so he might be killing any other fish because he's feeling overcrowded and territorial. A comet will reach a foot or so in length as an adult, which is a tight squeeze in a 20 gallon tank. Is the tank the long type, 30", or is it the tall 20 gallon tank? Comets and commons do better in longer tanks, and fancy tailed goldfish do better in the taller tanks. So there are many reasons why a goldfish could go "bad". Water quality can play a factor, too. And yes, goldfish will eat snails. Really, they will eat just about anything that will fit in their mouths.

Sucker fish, or "plecos" as I think you probably have, can suffer with goldfish just because a faster goldfish gets to the food before it does. Plecos need food too, it's a myth that they live on algae in the tank. In fact I am about to move a bristlenose pleco (the smaller type of pleco which only reaches about 5") out of my goldfish tank for that very reason, they are getting to the food before he does. Also, common plecos grow over a foot in length and die an early death in small aquariums anyway, not sure which type of pleco you had. I think you should keep SKF by himself as that's the minimum size for one goldfish, or try a larger tank. It seems like he's made up his mind that he's going to rule that particular tank.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,881 times
chances are the water isn't good, and Fred is just a lot more hardy?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 AM

He's the common and it's a long. Ok, well maybe he was just feeling a bit cramped in his bachelor pad. THanks for the info.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:49 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Fantail goldfish gets aggressive sometimes. Mine was nipping on other fish tail, fins and eyes.
Not sure why. To save other fish, I ended up bringing it back to the store ...
You might want to try a separator.
Amazon.com: Penn-Plax® Medium Tank Divider® for Aquariums 11-3/8" x 9-5/8": Pet Supplies

Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM

The OP said it's a common goldfish, not fancy. The goldfish is currently in a 20 gallon tank, the very bare minimum long-term for one common alone. Adding a divider would halve the tank and stunt it's growth.

Fish will often nip others when they are overcrowded. First I would consider it's living conditions, and whether or not they are optimum.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Yep, he's common. I got a 55 gallon set up for him and we've got a two section pond that we'll be putting in out front in the spring. Kicking around letting him cruise around in the pond when it's warmer out and bringing him in for winter. The pond set up is 125 gallons at the top with a waterfall that goes into a 218 gallon. I know I'd need to keep netting over it so he doesn't become lunch for anything. Still not sure if it's the best option for him, but figured we've got time to decide. Until then he has a decent size house.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 PM

460 posts, read 982,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
What kind of goldfish, is it a fancy tailed goldfish, or the more common goldfish you see at carnivals? How old is it? What are you feeding him? Fancy tailed goldfish can have swim bladder problems and even die if fed flakes, but the comets and commons are fine with flakes. Twenty gallons is about the minimum requirement for an adult goldfish, so he might be killing any other fish because he's feeling overcrowded and territorial. A comet will reach a foot or so in length as an adult, which is a tight squeeze in a 20 gallon tank. Is the tank the long type, 30", or is it the tall 20 gallon tank? Comets and commons do better in longer tanks, and fancy tailed goldfish do better in the taller tanks. So there are many reasons why a goldfish could go "bad". Water quality can play a factor, too. And yes, goldfish will eat snails. Really, they will eat just about anything that will fit in their mouths.

Sucker fish, or "plecos" as I think you probably have, can suffer with goldfish just because a faster goldfish gets to the food before it does. Plecos need food too, it's a myth that they live on algae in the tank. In fact I am about to move a bristlenose pleco (the smaller type of pleco which only reaches about 5") out of my goldfish tank for that very reason, they are getting to the food before he does. Also, common plecos grow over a foot in length and die an early death in small aquariums anyway, not sure which type of pleco you had. I think you should keep SKF by himself as that's the minimum size for one goldfish, or try a larger tank. It seems like he's made up his mind that he's going to rule that particular tank.

Any idea how long it takes a 6-month old oranda to reach full adult size? Calico and orange orandas to be specific. I want to get a taller 20-gallon tank eventually.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:50 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
chances are the water isn't good, and Fred is just a lot more hardy?
This is my thought. Unless you SAW SKF kill a housemate.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Any idea how long it takes a 6-month old oranda to reach full adult size? Calico and orange orandas to be specific. I want to get a taller 20-gallon tank eventually.
I think probably around 2 years, although really goldfish will grow for several years, and many environmental factors can affect their growth. Orandas average 8-10", some even over a foot long, I've seen some pictures online that are just incredible. Really pretty fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish