Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

i hadn't thought about rams, will give them some thought
You're welcome! I am just helpful as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:56 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
i have a huge school of neons (25) in my 55gallon angel tank, they are beautiful to watch in large numbers. (i keep my angels VERY well fed so they don't start snacking on the neons lol)

i don't think the tanks realy big enough to do mixed schoaling fish they do better in larger groups of their own kind, 5 neons would be about max in a 10 gal before the bioload would start to strain...
If you want to do a mixed school, cpds and chili rasboras are tiny, about 8/10ths of an inch max and you could probably have 16 combined in a well-planted 10G.

Celestial Pearl Danio

Chili Rasbora

Sundadanio Alexrodi (Neon Blue Rasbora) are also tiny.

Throw in some colorful shrimp and I think you'd have an interesting tank.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
those celestial pearls are super pretty!!!
hmmm, don't have much choice locally or LFSs but mabe I can find an online place

Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,645 times
Quote:
those celestial pearls are super pretty!!!
hmmm, don't have much choice locally or LFSs but mabe I can find an online place
No as pretty as this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...5cqbJa_ypaJ8Mf

Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,913 times
Have you considered trying some smaller size brackish water fish, or possibly an oddball tank, like crawdads, frogs, salamanders, or crabs? I had a pair of spotted river puffers in a 10 gal and they reproduced quite a bit but were typically eaten before I could do anything to save them. The female eventually rammed the male multiple times until he died. Still a cool experience though.

I have always done larger cichilids but I decided to do a 60 gal. with a crap ton of neons, black neons, glow lights, and cherry barbs with a mixture of corey cats, Chinese algae eaters, ghost shrimp, snails, and khuli loaches. Pretty cool to watch them swarm around together. I guess if I had a 10 gallon I would do a modified version of that.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:15 PM

pvjd, I was actually thinking of a salamander, or possibly firebelly newts.
I currently have a tokay gecko and a ball python so having a rep or herp certinaly wouldn't be completely out of the blue either...
ive never had much luck with crabs, the 2 times ive tried they seem to escape no matter what kind of seminlgy impenetrable fortress I create...(and having snakes and geckos im pretty good at securing tanks LOL!)
never tried frogs though...
definatly some good things to think about!

Old 01-30-2016, 03:19 PM

rams are pretty (though they don't color that brightly 24/7, that's a nice flareup/breeding coloration but id be worried if any male was that bright all the time, that's an aweful lot of stress signal right there lol)
but there also kinda a dime a dozen...

ive never seen celestial pearls at our Local fish stores....mabe that's why im more interested lol.

and yes, angels are "common" as are neons but they are in a large biotrope tank and its just a pair of angels a huge school of neons and ottos. so it looks kinda impressive to see a beautiful large pair of veils in full color and this giant school of neons

I just don't know what id add to a ram ank to add that same izazz and make it pop, there so small in themselves that I worry anything ese would drown em out so to speak, and alone theyd just look lost...

Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 PM

How do you feel about arachnids? I have had a couple of different types of tarantulas and did a black emperor scorpion. Had some pink sand for the scorpion and a black light that made him look pretty amazing. Tokays are cool but admittedly not may favorite gecko, I haven't had much luck with finding one I can handle. I like the fat tails and leopards, and the giant day geckos are pretty cool too but like the tokays I haven't had luck finding one that will let me handle it.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:24 PM

yeah tokays arnt realy a "snuggly" gecko....
ive had a few over the years, I can handle all of them...BUT it takes a lot of time, patients and slow movment (and flat hands)
they do earn their rep but they are sooooo pretty that I realy don't mind the tude, my current girl has a 55 gallon tank, divided up, 15 gals water with a water fall and both aquatic and floating plants and some feeder guppies and wood (so she can ge tout if she ends up int he drink lol) and the rest planted tropical with lots of branches and some flat rocks and climbing zones and climbing plants.
I have a blue light for night time and feed at ngiht and I love watching her hunt thought the foliage, its such a beautiful tank in general and she so pretty that I don't mind just watching her. lol.

I don't think arachnids would go down well in the house...
my ball python was hard enough and even hes still "we don't discuss" lol. I also realy sensitive to tarantula hairs lol

ive thought about dart frogs or possibly modifying it to sit upright and doing a tree frog too

Old 01-31-2016, 11:19 PM

Dart frogs are great. I think ideally they look better in a tall sort of cube tank that you can kind of do a rain foresty mountain scene but you can get that with a standard 10 gal too. Funny tokay story, I ran a small neighborhood pet store and had some mice breeding in the wall. I put a pair of tokays in the store and allowed them to do clean up. A month or so later I look down at one of my close to the floor river tanks and one of them was in it chowing down on some small danios. He was very fat so I know he had eaten quite a few pinkys and fuzzies. Had to use the net to get him out because I was afraid he would bite me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish