Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 AM

37 posts, read 91,719 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am doing some market research to see where to start a vegetarian cafe. This idea has been brewing in my mind, as well as my boyfriends, for many years. We are finally ready to start taking steps to make it happen. We would offer breakfast/lunch (including fresh juices & smoothies) and vegan baked goods. First things first, where to have it? We live down in Tucson now and are researching some different places and Flagstaff is high on our list. I love the town and have spent a lot of time hiking and enjoying all seasons. I know there is competition (Macy's/Morning Glory) so I'm wondering, does Flagstaff have a demand/need for what we are trying to do? Thoughts, ideas, advice. Feel free to PM me if that works better for you. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,522,337 times
To my knowledge, I don't believe there's a restaurant catering exclusively to vegetarians in Flagstaff (surprising, given the demographics). There are, however, numerous restaurants in town that are vegetarian friendly (Mountain Oasis comes to mind, I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting) which might make for some tough competition.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,629,374 times
The deli at New Frontiers in Flag also has a lot of vegan options. The competition may be too much there...one would think that if a fully vegan sit-down place could make it there, it would be there already, given the demographics.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Yeah we were thinking the same deal. Why hasn't it been done yet? New Frontiers is super expensive so we could offer an alternative to the high prices there. I've eaten at Mountain Oasis many times and I'm not impressed at all with their vegetarian offerings. Lots more research to do, thanks for the input!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM

4,238 posts, read 14,123,998 times
the NAU students (and occasional students) who might be the most likely to go vegan may not have a lot of money all the time to eat out, so tread carefully....Macy's and similar are already there, of course.....don't jump into this without full research....see if there is a city-operated small business office to inquire with??....any history of past restaurants that didn't make it and why??....location will be important, but you get what you pay for, of course....do you already have restaurant/retail experience?.....if it doesn't work, will you be financially ruined??

Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM

You are right azdr0710. If we began something there we would want to appeal to college students and keep our prices low. I know when we come up to visit we spend a TON of money just eating out or buying groceries. I'm wondering how much of that is a necessary mark-up of goods and how much is because establishments "can" have high prices. I know things are more expensive in Flagstaff but come on, this isn't New York. And with the high prices I still see lines out of Macy's door every time I'm up there. Both of us have restaurant experience, my partner has been in the industry for over 15 years. We are not rich by any means so researching and making the right move is imperative. I'm not to sure New Frontiers would be much competition since it is a large grocery store, not a cozy cafe. When people want to meet each other to study or grab breakfast I don't think they say "lets go meet at the large uncomfortable grocery store".

We are also not stuck on the idea of being totally vegetarian. We are open to having other options, as long as they are organic, farm raised, ect. For Flagstaff though there are a ton of eateries doing just that and being full-veg would let us stand out....

Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM

157 posts, read 573,509 times
Okay, now I'm interested. I like a good vegetarian meal with the option of meat. Here are my two ideas.

It sounds as if you know the market already. The established restaurants in that business are in the South/Beaver/Downtown/Lumbermill triangle. It's a bit pricey and concentrated. I am assuming you have already considered this area.

If you want to go with the budget theme you might want a neighborhood that will give you a good deal on overhead. I like the 4th street area because of the vicinity of the Farmer's Market, and there are a number of restaurants with good values. That is, Fratelli's, the Bangkok Thai, and La Fonda's on 2nd street.

The area near the new Natural Grocers sounds like a winner as well (near Milton and Route 66). Overhead would be a little higher than 4th Street, but you would have NAU students right there. If you go out 66 toward Home Depot I would stop by for lunch and bring a small crowd along too. If you like vegies in general Flagstaff desperately needs one good Asian style, especially on the Milton side of town. I would definitely go for a plate of Malaysian style vegetables.

Hope there is something for you in this!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM

4,238 posts, read 14,123,998 times
Quote:
If you want to go with the budget theme you might want a neighborhood that will give you a good deal on overhead. I like the 4th street area because of the vicinity of the Farmer's Market, and there are a number of restaurants with good values. That is, Fratelli's, the Bangkok Thai, and La Fonda's on 2nd street.

except I don't know if the Sunnyside crowd would go for a vegan restaurant.....

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Red face Veg restaurant in Flagstaff

There was a wonderful vegetarian restaurant in Flagstaff that I went to for years. It was always packed and had the best food. It was called Cafe Express but it's now closed. Not sure why since it was a wonderful place. I'm sure they need a new one now.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM

307 posts, read 562,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolelee927 View Post
Hi All,
I am doing some market research to see where to start a vegetarian cafe. This idea has been brewing in my mind, as well as my boyfriends, for many years. We are finally ready to start taking steps to make it happen. We would offer breakfast/lunch (including fresh juices & smoothies) and vegan baked goods. First things first, where to have it? We live down in Tucson now and are researching some different places and Flagstaff is high on our list. I love the town and have spent a lot of time hiking and enjoying all seasons. I know there is competition (Macy's/Morning Glory) so I'm wondering, does Flagstaff have a demand/need for what we are trying to do? Thoughts, ideas, advice. Feel free to PM me if that works better for you. Thanks guys!
Yes, a vegetarian cafe or restaurant would be great in Flagstaff! I can only guess the population profile of Flagstaff...but with a good mix of young families, university students, retirees...and year-round tourists, I would imagine there would be a healthy & profitable demand for vegetarian food. Going on my second year now since I stopped eating animals...and never felt better and healthier! It's tough not finding any vegetarian establishments where I live and any vegetarian items available on the menu in most restaurants I've been to leaves a great deal to be desired. At least, inadequate if not poor. And I live in the far north corner of Washington state...folks here are suppose to be health-conscious! Yes, count me in your survey. I'll be in Flagstaff next month for an exploratory trip to check things out and find a place to live. We would like to get moved and settled by end of June. Best to you and your boyfriend in your endeavor. The idea of a full Vegetarian Buffet restaurant has been simmering in my mind for sometime now. Haven't been to a vegetarian buffet restaurant much less heard of one in all my travels around the world. Continue with the survey on this forum...and I will be keeping an eye on the comments. Keep the forum readers informed about your decision...and progress.
FCStraight, Blaine, WA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona