Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,014,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
One issue I have is that when the word 'desert' is used, how high in elevation (not counting mountains) does that go? I guess Reno, NV, and Sedona, AZ (both at about 4,400 feet) could be described as the 'high desert', but what about Prescott at 5,200 feet? It just seems to me that Flag, at 7,000 feet, seems to high to be a 'desert.'

But where would a 'cutoff' be (if there is one) in elevation?
The desert classification has very little to do with elevation, and more with precipitation received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 13,335 times
Talking Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
One issue I have is that when the word 'desert' is used, how high in elevation (not counting mountains) does that go? I guess Reno, NV, and Sedona, AZ (both at about 4,400 feet) could be described as the 'high desert', but what about Prescott at 5,200 feet? It just seems to me that Flag, at 7,000 feet, seems to high to be a 'desert.'

But where would a 'cutoff' be (if there is one) in elevation?

**Interesting question; I've had the same feeling when I drive on I-40 east to west and back to Florida.
Then again technically by topography and location Flagstaff is in the middle of A DESERT. ???**!??

Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 PM

157 posts, read 573,157 times
There is a bit of a relationship between elevation and rainfall. Travelling I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix I tend to think the desert lies below 3,000 feet. Semi-desert is 3,000 to 6,000 feet. There are exceptions though. The Painted Desert has a poor soil that allows little vegetation to grow, so I might consider that to be desert even though it's above 3,000 feet. There is a rainshadow created behind the White Mountains. Springerville might be semi-desert at 7,000 feet. The southeastern part of the state, including Tucson, gets a bit more rainfall than what one would normally consider desert, but it looks desert anyway, maybe from evaporation.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,744,269 times
The definition of a desert is based on rate of evaporation more than actual precipitation received. San Diego averages barely 10 inches of rain/year. However, since rate of evaporation is far less there than a place like Tucson that gets more precip, San Diego is not a desert.

The geographical variety is awesome north of PHX. I consider north of Black Canyon City to Sedona steppe/grassland although it's defined as a desert based on the definition in the first paragraph. North of Sedona of course is Ponderosa which survives above 6500 feet. I have land at 6000 feet in Valle which is sagebrush and juniper. Yet, north towards Tusayan and south towards Williams it becomes ponderosa on Rte 64 when it hits 6500 feet elevation.

Deserts I have seen as high as 7500 feet. Namely the Alamosa,CO area of the San Luis Valley which has sagebrush and gets about as much precip as Phoenix.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,812,237 times
I would consider Flag to be subhumid. By that, I mean 20-30 inches of precip. per year with a moderate temperate climate. It is at the low end of subhumid, but too wet to be semiarid. I live in Ashland, Oregon, which is also subhumid (~20 inches/year). Places like Denver, Sedona, and classic pinon juniper country (Gallup, NM) strike me as semiarid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona