Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you find more spectacular - The Grand Canyon or Monument Valley?
Monument Valley 3 11.54%
The Grand Canyon 16 61.54%
They are equally spectacular 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,998 times

Advertisements

Which do you consider more spectacular - Grand Canyon or Monument Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 12,998 times
Question Both are incredibly spectacular, but Monument Valley gets the nod for me!

The Grand Canyon is spectacular, but the vista is generally not a 360 degree view and the view is also generally downward into a hole, whereas Monument Valley is a 360 panoramic view of stunning physical geography with a view that goes much further (as far as the eye can see usually). The spectacular formations are also set against the backdrop of the sky.

That's why I don't get why the Grand Canyon gets so much attention whereas so many people outside the Southwest USA don't even know about Monument Valley. Totally undersold in my mind! What do you think???

Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,783 times
I visited Monument Valley back in 2012, and was not completely impressed. Yes, it is expansive and beautiful. Does it prompt you to feel overwhelmed and in awe? Not really. The Grand Canyon does that to all who visit it the first time. It seems to do that to me each time I walk up to the rim. I could sit at the edge all day and stare into the canyon and not be bored for one second.
I even felt more impressed while driving and walking through Arches NP in Moab, especially hiking through Wall Street and up to the Delicate Arch. Monument Valley is a great place to drive through as you pass by; not a destination in it's own right. That's my opinion.
A lot of people say that the crowds at the South Rim detract from the enjoyment. I'd have to agree to an extent, but there are plenty of other viewpoints that are most of time free of crowds. And if you REALLY want to get away, hit the North Rim instead. I'll be spending 3 days on the North Rim later this year.
It's all a matter of opinion anyway, but I say the Grand Canyon offers more awe-inspiring views and scenery. Monument Valley is interesting and is classic desert scenery (minus the Saguaros..lol), but it elicits more of a "huh, that's cool" response rather than a "OMG" response.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
The Grand Canyon wins hands down.... No comparison at all. With that said to truly see the Grand Canyon one has to hike or ride to the bottom. 360 degree views all around that monument valley can not compare to. Standing on the top with the hordes of tourists does not count.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 AM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Having been to both places several times, IMO, there is no way you can compare them. They are both magnificent.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
I've been to both and no disrespect to Monument Valley, but Grand Canyon wins hands down.

My issues with Monument Valley were that you are relegated to the Visitors Center after paying $5/person to the Natives (very reasonable price). I wasn't willing to beat the heck out of my truck driving on a washboard dirt road for 17 miles to get a closer look at the red buttes that comprise MV. My wife and I basically were overlooking MV from the visitors center taking some pics and that was it ! I actually enjoyed Gooseneck State Park 30 miles north near Mexican Hat,UT even more. I found Mexican Hat way better to stay at than Kayenta,AZ. The red rocks and the fact that they serve alcohol being just north of the Navajo Res.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,120 times
Different kinds of spectacular so hard to compare. But I must say North Rim of the Canyon was amazing! We were there just before it closed for the season, so not crowded, and I am hooked can't wait to return! But a long way from NC...rats.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
It's like asking which is more spectacular - Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea.

I'd have to say there isn't much more spectacular than the GC. Especially getting to enjoy lunch at a window table in the Tovar Lodge. That ought to be on everyone's "bucket list."

I like Monument Valley, but it's just different.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 PM

174 posts, read 305,478 times
Good Lord, I don't think there is any comparison. I live within an easy drive of both. I visit the Grand Canyon maybe six times per year. I've gone to Monument Valley once in my adult life.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,120 times
North Rim: wonderful first class dinner at the lodge watching sunset.....priceless! Almost afraid to do again how do you replicate perfection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona