Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times

Advertisements

I have looked through monster, careerbuilder, even the AZ Daily Sun...do people work in Flagstaff? I thought it was a big city? I work in property mgt. and did not see any jobs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 02:18 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I have looked through monster, careerbuilder, even the AZ Daily Sun...do people work in Flagstaff? I thought it was a big city? I work in property mgt. and did not see any jobs...
Well you've discovered an Arizona secret: while there is strong job growth in Arizona, roughly five times the national average, it is almost all in Maricopa county (aka Phoenix metro). Tucson is a distant second, though that makes it better than most places in the US. As for the rest of the state, it's service and retail, a little agriculture, and some mining here and there. If you need to work, and want to live in AZ, then it pretty much means you have to live in Phoenix or Tucson. That's why we are all here when the rest of the state is so much more beautiful and cooler! Heck, we'd all be in Prescott tomorrow if we could find a job.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,170,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Heck, we'd all be in Prescott tomorrow if we could find a job.
That's for sure!!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Nope, it's not a "big city," it's a touristy college town with lots of retirees (and traffic!)! Not sure where you thought it was a big city. You're going to have to live in Phoenix (any suburb) or Tucson to live in AZ and find a lot of jobs!

Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
Quote:
Heck, we'd all be in Prescott tomorrow if we could find a job.
You're right about the Prescott job market; however if you do happen to be in one of those "service" careers, i.e. accounting, paralegal, etc or nursing, there are some pretty decent job ops up here. Our housing used to be a little lower that Phx to compensate, but I think we're probably pretty comparable right now--thanks to investors, whether from California or Vegas or Phx. One thing about the alot of the Californians--they didn't just buy to turn around and sell once the market went up. Most of them actually live in their homes.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Well you've discovered an Arizona secret: while there is strong job growth in Arizona, roughly five times the national average, it is almost all in Maricopa county (aka Phoenix metro). Tucson is a distant second, though that makes it better than most places in the US. As for the rest of the state, it's service and retail, a little agriculture, and some mining here and there. If you need to work, and want to live in AZ, then it pretty much means you have to live in Phoenix or Tucson. That's why we are all here when the rest of the state is so much more beautiful and cooler! Heck, we'd all be in Prescott tomorrow if we could find a job.

Well, thank god for the internet! This is a great site as well in the relocation search process.....yeah, I have a BA in Advertising from Michigan State but I work in property management...I need to keep in that profession to finance the continuation of my education once my bf & I relocate. Now, back to the drawing board....there's tons of property mgt jobs, I've got a terrific background....my bf works in landscaping for another condo association & he's a fabulous painter (residential/commercial) as well...we definitely need to be in Phoenix...now, how to find what part...? I want to come out next year in May to do interviews as I have two weeks of vacation but due to our season here, I can't take it till after May 1st....our apartment lease is up here June 8...kinda cutting it close but I don't know if it would be wise to send out resumes now or closer to the move time...we both have family here in FL where we could rough it, put our stuff in storage 'cause I don't want to sign another lease just to break it....suggestions?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:27 AM

Have you visited Phx before? If you haven't, then I would not start planning to move until after I have seen where I'm moving to. You never know how a place is until you spend some time there. Is there a way you can come out for a weekend?

I have a friend who is planning on moving to Dallas/Ft. Worth sometime in the future. However, she has put off going to see it for 2 years! If I actually found a place I wanted to move to I would be planning a weekend trip within the month just to see it!

Old 12-05-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Have you visited Phx before? If you haven't, then I would not start planning to move until after I have seen where I'm moving to. You never know how a place is until you spend some time there. Is there a way you can come out for a weekend?

I have a friend who is planning on moving to Dallas/Ft. Worth sometime in the future. However, she has put off going to see it for 2 years! If I actually found a place I wanted to move to I would be planning a weekend trip within the month just to see it!
I have been to Arizona before...we did a 10 day vacation where we started out in Sedonna, went to the Grand Canyon, (I liked Canyon de Chey much better), Painted Desert, Jerome, Phoenix....stayed on the Hopi reservation with the museum...

I do beadwork for a hobby, earrings/necklaces/anklets...traded for a beautiful silver cuff that explains the begining of the world in Hopi....I've worn it for 10 years now....

My kids live in Tucson with my Xhusband, they're 8 and 10...and although they do come back/forth to FL about every three months, it's not enough for me. They had to leave FL due to the mold that's everywhere. House I built on Tampa Bay got the black mold, they got extremely sensitive and were basically unable to go most places as in friend's houses, movie theaters...etc...due to the mold....so, out to AZ they went in Feb....built a house in the Oro Valley and moved in this spring.

My boyfriend & I are tired of FL. He used to live there (phoenix) as a child due to his asthma and is a big golfer as well....after being together for seven years, I've decided that he can take the beach or leave it....we've lived on this **** island forever a block to beach & he doesn't go....

I loved the sunsets in the mountains. I love big cities, I'm from Detroit...lived in Brooklyn, Queens, Morgantown, West Virgina, Holmes Beach, Florida/Anna Maria Island....so, really, I can live anywhere....

I've always wanted to try out west...might as well (Grateful Dead!)...

Old 12-05-2006, 12:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Heck, we'd all be in Prescott tomorrow if we could find a job//Unquote

Just curious why you said that. Is Prescott a desirable place to live? Is it prettier there or less populated or why does everyone seem to like Prescott?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Prescott is so many things... they have much cooler breezy weather, the scenery is beautiful, it's a smaller town, pollution is better... When I first visited there I instantly wanted to live there! Then I researched a bit and found some negatives to it (growth, lack of jobs, mostly). It just wouldn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona