Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 AM

38 posts, read 60,902 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We're currently looking to relocate and have been looking at quite a few different places. Where we are currently is great, we have no issue with it, but being quite adventurous we'd like to take life by the horns and try somewhere new as we feel life's too short to be in the same place your whole life.

We're considering Sedona at the moment and we have three children. I was just wondering if anyone out there, especially anyone with children, lives in Sedona and what they think of it? I know housing is pricey and it can get busy with tourists but that aside...
- Are the people friendly?
- Is there much to do with the children?
- Good restaurants? Any live music? Festivals? That kind of thing?
- Communitt spirit good or not so much?
- Is it a safe place to live?
- If you have children, what schools do you recommend?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
have you been to Sedona before?....

42-year resident of Arizona here and I'd NEVER think of relocating an entire family to Sedona....it's little more than a surprisingly remote mini-Disneyland for retirees and part-time residents......hardly a true "town".....I'd imagine the schools have got to be among the low priorities for the locals.....I could go on......

many, MANY better choices all over the country for a family.....please don't do it

Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM

44 posts, read 67,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

42-year resident of Arizona here and I'd NEVER think of relocating an entire family to Sedona....it's little more than a surprisingly remote mini-Disneyland for retirees and part-time residents......hardly a true "town".....I'd imagine the schools have got to be among the low priorities for the locals.....I could go on......

many, MANY better choices all over the country for a family.....please don't do it
Sad to say, I agree.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:21 AM

38 posts, read 60,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

Hello,
My husband has...but about 20 years ago. We were looking for a very pretty and very safe place to live. Would LOVE to hear some recommendations you may have. Sedona had a nice Montissori school which, because we can't afford a private school, seemed a nice choice as they are generally small schools that seem to care greatly about the children. Although, they're not always as impressive academically. But with a big move we thought it best to have a small, caring school for the children to settle into as it would be similar to the school they're at now.

I know you may not be able to help on the school front but if you know any really safe places within two hours of Flagstaff or any great neighbourhoods outside of the city centre that would be great!

Many thanks!

Last edited by Abda79; 07-21-2017 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
Hello,
My husband has...but about 20 years ago. We were looking for a very pretty and very safe place to live. Would LOVE to hear some recommendations you may have. Sedona had a nice Montissori school which, because we can't afford a private school, seemed a nice choice as they are generally small schools that seem to care greatly about the children. Although, they're not always as impressive academically. But with a big move we thought it best to have a small, caring school for the children to settle into as it would be similar to the school they're at now.

I know you may not be able to help on the school front but if you know any really safe places within two hours of Flagstaff or any great neighbourhoods outside of the city centre that would be great!

Many thanks!
Great neighborhoods out of which city centre?

There are small towns within two hours of Flagstaff, and somewhat larger ones (Prescott). In the small towns, schools are not going to be the best, simply due to the tax base available to them. I can't speak specifically to Prescott schools.

Sedona is not a place that comes to mind to me to raise a family. Pretty and safe, yes, but families are not a priority there.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
I would consider Prescott Valley instead, we have schools and there's more going on here. Sedona is mostly a tourist area, with nice views. Cost of living will be higher.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
. We were looking for a very pretty and very safe place to live.
St. George, Utah

Old 07-24-2017, 08:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
'Downwinders' is disturbing documentary about testing fallout, makes a good case | Deseret News

Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM

138 posts, read 387,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Great neighborhoods out of which city centre?

There are small towns within two hours of Flagstaff, and somewhat larger ones (Prescott). In the small towns, schools are not going to be the best, simply due to the tax base available to them. I can't speak specifically to Prescott schools.

Sedona is not a place that comes to mind to me to raise a family. Pretty and safe, yes, but families are not a priority there.
Unfortunately schools in AZ are not based on local taxes, but on number of students. If it was tax-based, the schools in Sedona would be great. In fact, they are good but not as good as they should be.

I live in Sedona with my wife a 22-mo boy and we love it here. There aren't a lot of activities to choose from but Phoenix is a nice day trip and Flagstaff can be an afternoon. We mostly stay in the area and enjoy the hiking, biking, parks (both local and national) and local activities. Still, the lack of activities and education options could become an issue as our son gets older. We won't look to relocate, but will consider supplementing his education as required.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
We were in Sedona in April. Yes it is BEAUTIFUL...just Gorgeous.
Just too much traffic. I mean TOO MUCH & they all drive FAST.
When we driving there we drove along the creek or river (NOT SURE WHAT IT WAS).
It would of been nice to pull over & take some photos or just enjoy the scenery. There was no way you could pull over or stop. The cars were going so fast I couldn't even get a good shot out my window.
It's a vey curvy road.
The main drag was nuts. There was cars on it constantly.

Have you ever thought of living in Utah. That has to be one of the most BEAUTIFUL states in our country. You should visit & see how gorgeous it is. The National Parks are out of this world.
Good Luck on your adventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona