Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 01:50 PM

41 posts, read 69,017 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Flag but I am curious as to how harsh the winters are compared to the Midwest. I grew up in the snowbelt and the grey skies and frigid cold were terrible there. I've been to Prescott several times and don't mind their mild 4 season climate, but I'm wondering how different the winters in flag are in comparison because I see the insane amount of snowfall they receive annually. Is that snow on the streets or up in the mountains? I know in Prescott they can get some snow but it usually melts off in 2-3 days. The elevation and dry air allows it to heat up pretty nicely during the day. I've only driven through flag a few times so I'm just looking for a comparison. I don't mind some snow but it's the constant dreariness, the months long snow cover and slushy roads, and artic blasts (polar vortex, clippers, etc) that I can't stand for very long.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:29 AM

306 posts, read 339,906 times
I'm not an expert, but I believe the temps are relatively mild in Flagstaff, but alot of snow. Prescott is mild and very little snow in the winter. Big difference between the two. If you are from the upper midwest, Flagstaff should be no problem.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 AM

306 posts, read 339,906 times
Prescott in the pines is my dream. Getting pricier by the day tho!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM

31 posts, read 83,589 times
As a former midwesterner, the biggest difference is the sun shines every day here. Unless it's snowing.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,288,141 times
I've lived in mpls. Flagstaff is much snowier for shorter periods of time and a lot warmer in winter. Daytime temps tend to be not so bad. It is rare to have negative overnight temps (it does happen), very rare for negative daytime temp

Old 09-01-2017, 10:34 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,729,890 times
I live just south of Flagstaff. We looked there for a retirement home when we moved from SE AZ to the Prescott area. But I did not care for all the younger crowds at the university as they could be pretty rude.
I knew a guy that grew up there and he hated it. About every 10 years or so snow can hit hard and drifts can pile up that are pretty deep according to him.
He lives in Tucson now and says he would never go back to Flagstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona