Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:47 AM

849 posts, read 2,925,243 times

Advertisements

Simple answer...LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Prices are higher because there are limited places to build and the place is in a beautiful area with lots of outdoor opportunities. As more transplants with money venture into the area, they drive the costs way up. Plain and simple. Look at the properties also...the lower priced ones in VOC are older, have not been updated, yet are getting top dollar. After all, who doesn't want to live in such a beautiful area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 04:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sedona is full of rich retirees from California, so they bring their equity with them and price locals out of the market
OK, so would you prefer the money-laundering, often non-English-speaking foreigners who are pricing out Californians who live in the most desirable areas, forcing them to less expensive, but still desirable, areas of the U.S. instead?

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 03-31-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 01:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,641,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
OK, so would you prefer the money-laundering, often non-English-speaking foreigners who are pricing out Californians who live in the most desirable areas, forcing them to less expensive, but still desirable, areas of the U.S. instead?
I didn't say anything bad about Californians, unlike most people who use that term in that context, I was just stating how it is. But I don't like the fact that the workers have to live 30 miles away in Cottonwood and commute everyday. They should do what Aspen did and build some work force housing

Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't say anything bad about Californians, unlike most people who use that term in that context, I was just stating how it is. But I don't like the fact that the workers have to live 30 miles away in Cottonwood and commute everyday. They should do what Aspen did and build some work force housing
Correction....Sedona is only 16 miles from Cottonwood and, maybe, a little further from Camp Verde. I live in cottonwood, used to work in Sedona and it took me exactly 20 minutes from my door to work.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM

635 posts, read 785,870 times
Default those ca. people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Define "rich Californians". Is it anyone with more money than you?
People sell their house in Ca. and move here with a couple hundred grand and buy homes.The locals are making crap wages and end up not being able to buy a home because of so many people showing up and thinking 200.000 for a house is cheap.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:49 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,687,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
The problem my friends, isn't Californians, nor is the problem any newcomer from any other state of the union. The problem is LOCAL. Who do you think
sells homes and real estate to these newcomers? LOCALS.
THANK YOU!

I live in Portland, Oregon, and I have had to listen to gripes about Californians driving up the cost of homes for ... well ... decades, only now it's worse. And I've have always said that the blame should go to greedy realtors and sellers. I don't know how many times I've heard native Oregonians whine about Californians driving up the costs, then end up selling their property for far more than they should.

Transplants are coming from everywhere. I know of three couples that just moved to Tucson ~ two from Oregon (natives, which is interesting) and one from Alaska.

I read somewhere that Sedona was straining with growth but perhaps it's meeting its limits? If there isn't enough industry to force growth then there should be a moratorium against it.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
People sell their house in Ca. and move here with a couple hundred grand and buy homes.The locals are making crap wages and end up not being able to buy a home because of so many people showing up and thinking 200.000 for a house is cheap.
?

I'm pretty familiar with the Sedona real estate market. There was nothing I'd consider living in for less than $400k. Even a fixer-upper was more than $300k last I looked. I'm sure it's higher now that people are buying investment properties to Airbnb.

"A couple hundred grand" doesn't make one rich.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:24 AM

8,507 posts, read 8,828,017 times
I read that some communities in the east have elected planning and zoning boards. Maybe it is more common than I realize but in every city or town I've lived in, they were appointed. In Sedona it is appointed.

In most cases the decisions of the planning and zoning boards are advisory to the city / town council or county commission. But the rules can vary and they sometimes have final say on some things or have to be overridden to change.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-19-2018 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona